PDA

View Full Version : Yankee Hill ?? Caribou ??

PhillipG65
December 6th, 2017, 07:22 AM
I'd enjoy getting out this Saturday, 60 f in Denver
Should be a beautiful day
Hoping to find some interest in either one of these trails or maybe one on Sat, the other on Sun
Both are very enjoyable !!!!!
Come on get on out there
Even willing to pick up a co-pilot if anyone has the itch but no rig

Last time I went to Yankee Hill I opted out for slick snow covered areas caused by people trying to force their rig up where their rig did not want to go
I'm sure most will be clear but I will check if anyone wants to go

I could also guess these trails might be closed but there is always something
:rolleyes: :D :lmao: :smokin:

RockyMtRebel
December 6th, 2017, 07:26 AM
Hey Phillip, Caribou is closed and most of the seasonal gates are probably closed now ---- I don't know if Yankee Hill has seasonal gates though, you may want to check with the forest service first! I might be interested if it's open....

PhillipG65
December 6th, 2017, 08:04 AM
It appears to also be closed but I do really want to get out again this weekend, preferably something near by.
I'm open for ideas
:frown:

There is always something ????

xaza
December 6th, 2017, 08:35 AM
Last I knew there were no seasonal gates for Yankee. It closes based on the snow. There is usually some of those trails in that network that stay playable for a while but I have not been up this year to say for sure. Another lower elevation trail I have found to stay open a bit later is Slaughterhouse.

PhillipG65
December 6th, 2017, 08:49 AM
Good news !!!!! Thank you Cliff !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I do really want to go Yankee, The way through Columbine just before the camp ground has always been fun
There are soo many other fun bits up that way as well.....
Lets do this, Yankee and area
Saturday or Sunday ?
I'm good either day any time. But the earlier the better
Give me input so we can move this to the planned runs and calender

Just got email from ranger Scott, he says not enough snow to close Yankee hill
He does mention there will be a drift or two but nothing impassable
So, this will work out nicely !!!!

Heather
December 6th, 2017, 09:59 AM
I may be interested...Mushu just got gears and rear chromolys! Last time we ran Yankee in the snow (two winters ago), had two rigs with broken windows, a dented door, and a spiral ankle fracture. Still a fun day, especially with the pizza afterwards...(broken ankle person didn't know the severity of the injury, so she kept her foot up during dinner, and drove home after).

PhillipG65
December 6th, 2017, 10:09 AM
Yikes Heather....
Pizza is always a great reward !!!!
I'd enjoy wheeling with you guys again 4sure...
Let's get Mushu out there !!

Jim
December 6th, 2017, 10:12 AM
(broken ankle person didn't know the severity of the injury, so she kept her foot up during dinner, and drove home after)

Because, well, Pizza with friends vs. cold hospital X-ray room... Pizza with friends for the win!

FINOCJ
December 6th, 2017, 10:48 AM
Or if your on Yankee - there is good BBQ at Smokin' Yards in Idaho Springs.

PhillipG65
December 6th, 2017, 04:27 PM
Or if your on Yankee - there is good BBQ at Smokin' Yards in Idaho Springs.

Just hard to resist the pizza in Idaho Springs !!!

Heather
December 6th, 2017, 04:35 PM
Because, well, Pizza with friends vs. cold hospital X-ray room... Pizza with friends for the win!

Yes. This. Exactly. She healed up just fine, but man, it sure did suck for a while after the surgery!

PhillipG65
December 7th, 2017, 04:54 AM
Ok, so Yankee Hill is open with very little snow
I would like to run this trail Saturday starting at 10am
We will go up from the Columbine side and go down Alice side to stop in at boujos pizza in Idaho Springs
On this day I will have my friend co-piloting with me
I've been trying to get her to go with me for a long time now....lol
So let me know your interest so I can move it to planned and calender

TJS86TOY
December 7th, 2017, 07:05 AM
I would probably be in , in the "little 4Runner" .

FINOCJ
December 7th, 2017, 08:16 AM
Sounds fun - have a good time. I would like to tag for one more run even in the taco but the weather looks good and I need to take advantage of the warm weather to paint a few things for the jeep project. The front caster shims should arrive on Fri and I hope to paint them and the front spring plates (trying to make everything look good) on sat while the weather is warm and the paint will cure better through sun in the warm garage. Last weekend was also lucky good weather and i got the rear plates painted and then the springs installed. Hope to get everything back together early next week - but alas I will be heading to Montana for better part of the next month so my 2017 wheeling year is probably over (unless I end up snow wheeling out of a ditch in Wyoming!). Maybe the ski season is actually coming around a bit as well - if not maybe a trip to southern end of RRR and something like Illinois gulch/little moab or Balanced rock would be good for a nice January day. I am going to be itching to test out the new suspension as soon as I can.

PhillipG65
December 7th, 2017, 08:27 AM
Sounds fun - have a good time. I would like to tag for one more run even in the taco but the weather looks good and I need to take advantage of the warm weather to paint a few things for the jeep project. The front caster shims should arrive on Fri and I hope to paint them and the front spring plates (trying to make everything look good) on sat while the weather is warm and the paint will cure better through sun in the warm garage. Last weekend was also lucky good weather and i got the rear plates painted and then the springs installed. Hope to get everything back together early next week - but alas I will be heading to Montana for better part of the next month so my 2017 wheeling year is probably over (unless I end up snow wheeling out of a ditch in Wyoming!). Maybe the ski season is actually coming around a bit as well - if not maybe a trip to southern end of RRR and something like Illinois gulch/little moab or Balanced rock would be good for a nice January day. I am going to be itching to test out the new suspension as soon as I can.

Sounds like things are coming together real good !!!!
Absolutely will miss you on this run, was hoping you could make it !!!!
But that's just me being friend greedy ....... LOL ...........
Anyway James look forward to the next time we can meet on a trail !!!!!!!!!!!!

PhillipG65
December 8th, 2017, 06:35 AM
It's on !!!!!
I have listed Yankee Hill on the calendar
Be sure to rsvp and I will be monitoring CB-4
Looking forward to seeing you there