PDA

View Full Version : An 09 JK in hand!

PhillipG65
December 19th, 2017, 10:00 PM
I am on the hunt for the very best price on a 2009 Jeep Rubicon JK hard top two door with out doors
I do already have the hard doors
Ultimately will be putting on the roof rack
Any and all input is great
So far I have found one at 4x4 Parts for 2001$ delivered to the store on Federal and 67th Ave
Also have found a roof rack for a soft top that is 1050$ and it locks over the front where you can release the locks and the rack folds back to fully expose the soft top
I'd prefer the hard top first then the rack
Tell me what ya'all think

============================

Admin edit: This thread has been moved from hard top wanted and pruned to remove hard top wanted related posts as it has changed into a "new jeep" thread.

PhillipG65
December 20th, 2017, 08:24 PM
Gotta ask...whaddaya need a jk top for?

LOL, I was kinda wondering when someone might ask "The Question"

Answer;
I got a great deal on a 2009 JK Rubicon Armed Forces edition and trail rated
The Elephant popped some gaskets and excessive jingles that were wearing her down, traded in
But the new cat in town is pretty dang awesome !!!!! Came with new tires Lockers front and rear Huge winch built into the bumper and frame v-6 3.8ltr, can hardly wait to show her off !!!
I think her name will be SMASH, like the Hulk always says," Hulk SMASH " !!!!!!!!!
A couple pics will follow, they are from today, 12/20/17 up on Yankee Hill area
Thank you for asking !!!

FINOCJ
December 20th, 2017, 08:29 PM
:D

PhillipG65
December 20th, 2017, 08:30 PM
Relatively new owners at jeeps unlimited. ..no experience with them but they are certainly trying to bring it back to life. Moderm non-metal tops dont add significant weight like the old steel tops from the 70s and earlier. Now the rack - and specifically whats on the rack way up high - will affect cog.

It's kinda funny, because I was thinking just now, I'd want the spare, the high jack, ax, saw, shovel, all on the cargo rack, so I can see clearly that I most likely will keep Smash just the way she is. Thank you again James, open my eyes, I am not very familiar with Jeeps at all but I'm in love now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FINOCJ
December 20th, 2017, 08:40 PM
There are a number of good options for a rear bumper mounted tire carrier that will also hold high lift and gas can and other stuff like shovels etc. I like the weight back there rather than on the roof. Plus jeeps can use a bit more traction on rear wheels sometimes and weight on the rear axle helps. Front bumper and hood can also be a good spots for the high lift (if you even want one..but that is a whole 'nother discussion).

Brian
December 20th, 2017, 08:52 PM
Congrats man! :thumb:

PhillipG65
December 20th, 2017, 09:08 PM
There are a number of good options for a rear bumper mounted tire carrier that will also hold high lift and gas can and other stuff like shovels etc. I like the weight back there rather than on the roof. Plus jeeps can use a bit more traction on rear wheels sometimes and weight on the rear axle helps. Front bumper and hood can also be a good spots for the high lift (if you even want one..but that is a whole 'nother discussion).

It seems to be a very good spare tire holder on it ,,,,, not stock, I like having things handy and ready, but I'm not gonna do anything to the roof. So on the tire rack or inside I'm thinking is best. I don't know the essential productivity of the high lift but I see so many people with one I just figured it was a good thing to have along with.

Yeah I know, "Rockie",, LOL

But an extra gas can or two could be nice. I might not need much weight on the back because I have my tool bags in back.
Anyway............
:steer:

Jim
December 20th, 2017, 09:33 PM
Looks great - congratulations!

Now, you'll want to run some of the same trails you did with the truck and see how different (better and worse) they are with the jeep!!!

I'm a huge fan of lockers. IMO - better than a winch, better than high clearance, way better than my hi-lift.

PhillipG65
December 20th, 2017, 09:45 PM
Looks great - congratulations!

Now, you'll want to run some of the same trails you did with the truck and see how different (better and worse) they are with the jeep!!!

I'm a huge fan of lockers. IMO - better than a winch, better than high clearance, way better than my hi-lift.

Thank you and Hu Ra it's Army green !!!! GO ARMY !!!!!!!!!!
Maybe all I'll do is a big white star on the doors........LOL

Jim
December 20th, 2017, 10:08 PM
`want a pic of the tailgate / tire carrier on it.

PhillipG65
December 20th, 2017, 10:16 PM
`want a pic of the tailgate / tire carrier on it.

Well for now this is the best one
I'll do better either tomorrow or Friday

Getaklu
December 21st, 2017, 07:34 AM
Congrats Phillip!

That looks to be the AEV tire carrier and the Call of Duty bumper (maybe?) on the rear. I think there is a kit available to carry a couple of gallons of water in that bumper with a hand pump to pull it out. There should be a shovel holder built into the carrier, but for a straight handle shovel, not the D-handle in the picture. There is a Hi-Lift carrier that bolts onto the lower right side with u-bolts as well. Same carrier as I have, there is the integrated gas "can" available as well. A bit pricey, but a nice package altogether.

open_circuit
December 21st, 2017, 07:49 AM
Nice rig. I was curious how you were going to mount a JK hard top to the bed of an F150. Figured you had some mad scientist scheme.

PhillipG65
December 21st, 2017, 07:57 AM
Congrats Phillip!

That looks to be the AEV tire carrier and the Call of Duty bumper (maybe?) on the rear. I think there is a kit available to carry a couple of gallons of water in that bumper with a hand pump to pull it out. There should be a shovel holder built into the carrier, but for a straight handle shovel, not the D-handle in the picture. There is a Hi-Lift carrier that bolts onto the lower right side with u-bolts as well. Same carrier as I have, there is the integrated gas "can" available as well. A bit pricey, but a nice package altogether.

Yes that's right, the water goes in the bumper. I was thinking it was for extra weight in the rear......LOL
Your comment makes more sense !!!!!
It's a wonderful setup, even though no shower head or pump came with the equipment.
I love my D handle shovel.......but I believe I will be re-working the way I carry all my stuff, probably remove back seat and do a cargo setup there for shovel, ax and so forth....
Quite the change, I always had room for what ever I wanted to carry, but after taking her up Yankee Hill it's better to have Smash !!!!!!!!
Just getting use to it and organizing is , so far, the toughest thing right now

PhillipG65
December 21st, 2017, 07:59 AM
Nice rig. I was curious how you were going to mount a JK hard top to the bed of an F150. Figured you had some mad scientist scheme.

:lmao: Lol !!!!!!!!!!
Ya just never know whats cooking in this crazy brain-o mine, not even me .......

PhillipG65
December 21st, 2017, 08:02 AM
`understand. Just curious. There are body mounted roof racks as well - not tied to any hard/soft top.

If you are/were thinking roof rack for storage, have you considered removing the rear seat and dedicating that rear area for cargo? Certainly lower COG and out of the weather too.

Perfect, yes going to be doing just that !!
Should be able to work it out much better and maybe even more convenient access than off the roof thing

FINOCJ
December 21st, 2017, 08:40 AM
You can also put a rack across the back cargo area so you can keep tool boxes and coolers and so on underneath and bags of clothes etc on top. No rear seat of course.

ColoJeeper
December 21st, 2017, 10:14 AM
Just remember that when you have a soft-top jeep everybody that carries a pocket knife has a key to your jeep. Think about what you keep in your jeep and how you store it and when you are wheeling, how you secure it so you don't end up with flying objects.

Congrats on the jeep.

Getaklu
December 21st, 2017, 10:39 AM
Here is the pump and the whole kit, from the AEV website. Do you already have the tanks in place?

PhillipG65
December 21st, 2017, 11:33 AM
Here is the pump and the whole kit, from the AEV website. Do you already have the tanks in place?

Yes the tanks came with the jeep......BONUS.....
Just need the pump I guess
That's a pretty cool extra, never saw anything like that before.
Not sure I'll ever use it, but it is nice to know I have that option

Jim
December 21st, 2017, 11:55 AM
Conversing with Phillip, an edit to the thread has taken place: This thread has been moved from hard top wanted and pruned to remove hard top wanted related posts as it has changed into a "new jeep" thread.

JPSCRAWLER
December 21st, 2017, 05:20 PM
Congratulations from Kamron and Jp. Glad to see you joined the jeep family. Can't wait to wheel with you again.:2thumbup:

cnstaco
December 21st, 2017, 06:02 PM
Nice Jeep!

dieseldoc
December 21st, 2017, 06:38 PM
phil, congrats on your new to you ride.
welcome to JK life.
how is the back in the jeep compaired yo the ford?
want to go play saturday?

PhillipG65
December 21st, 2017, 07:42 PM
phil, congrats on your new to you ride.
welcome to JK life.
how is the back in the jeep compaired yo the ford?
want to go play saturday?

So far so good. I've only been out once with it so far but felt just fine
I think with coil springs it seems more comfy
And of coarse, going slow and easy helps too ...... lol

RockyMtRebel
December 21st, 2017, 08:09 PM
WHAT???? Somehow I missed this thread Phillip. You traded the Elephant in and got a Rubicon!?!?!!?!!!

I have to go back now and read the rest of this thread and check out the pix!

so our last run killed the Elephant? Man just think of the trouble we can get into now ;)

PhillipG65
December 21st, 2017, 08:23 PM
Y E P !!!!!!!!!
:D :lmao: :eek: :thumb:

RockyMtRebel
December 21st, 2017, 08:46 PM
Oh man, you done it now! Congrats man!!!

I decided not to get a Hi-Lift jack after researching them. Your spare tire carrier is awesome! Mine is ok but my swing door hinges that hold it are stock and the weight of the large spare will eventually kill the hinges unless I get reinforcements -- you got a really nice Jeep with great mods! I would say the only thing you need to pickup are tire chains so we can go snow wheelin' ;-)

PhillipG65
December 21st, 2017, 08:56 PM
Oh man, you done it now! Congrats man!!!

I decided not to get a Hi-Lift jack after researching them. My spare tire carrier is decent but my swing door hinges are stock and the weight of the large spare will eventually kill the hinges unless I get reinforcements -- you got a nice Jeep with great mods! I would say the only thing you need to pickup are tire chains so we can go snow wheelin' ;-)

Thanks, the mods are among the reasons for my decision !!
I am going to pickup some chains for sure, thinking about that dang ice patch we encountered
And yeah the Elephant is missed , we really had good times with her
That's the reason I was very picky about " it must be exactly what I want" kind of attitude

I still don't know/understand the necessity of a high jack.....
At this point I'm not going to get one
I have seen some on craigslist for good prices but if I may never use it ... then why carry it

RockyMtRebel
December 21st, 2017, 09:02 PM
What size tires?

PhillipG65
December 21st, 2017, 09:17 PM
What size tires?

They aren't very big, 255 65 R 17
They are brand new, still have the little hairs on them except for the spare it's not as new as the other 4
But at least they are 8ply .... was getting use to 10ply but 8 should be great

Spieg
December 21st, 2017, 09:18 PM
Nice Phillip!! That's going to be way fun :steer:

PhillipG65
December 21st, 2017, 09:24 PM
Nice Phillip!! That's going to be way fun :steer:

Thanks Brian, I can tell that I'll enjoy it better
Been on kinda a shake down run and it truly blew my mind
The toughest thing is going from being able to carry everything with me to carry only what's needed...

RockyMtRebel
December 21st, 2017, 09:44 PM
I think you'll enjoy the capability and ability to squeeze by things that a full size truck just can't! Man I can't wait to get out with you and the new ride!!! Unfortunately I'm trying to lift up my low hanging transfer case right now - something that's costing me a good amount because I didn't realize TJ's need a lot of mods to gain that tummy clearance... Jk's don't have this problem so you did good!!! If I'm lucky I'll have less of a pot belly before New Years!!!

PhillipG65
December 21st, 2017, 10:09 PM
I think you'll enjoy the capability and ability to squeeze by things that a full size truck just can't! Man I can't wait to get out with you and the new ride!!! Unfortunately I'm trying to lift up my low hanging transfer case right now - something that's costing me a good amount because I didn't realize TJ's need a lot of mods to gain that tummy clearance... Jk's don't have this problem so you did good!!! If I'm lucky I'll have less of a pot belly before New Years!!!

Yeah I've been on a diet lately too !!!
Best wishes and hopes for your TJ to lose that belly fat sooner than later also hope it'll go easier on that pocket book !!!!!!
I'll be looking for you when it's done !!!!

goSlo
December 22nd, 2017, 07:29 AM
Looking good man.

Congratulations on your new JK!

JandDGreens
December 22nd, 2017, 10:28 AM
So jealous Phillip,,, congrats I sure wish I could go with you guys on Saturday but have to work. Maybe if the weather cooperates next weekend??

Riotcake
December 22nd, 2017, 12:40 PM
LOL I replied to that slaughterhouse thread about yankee hill and I didn't even realize that was you! I get most people by their vehicle, not their username...

Congrats on the Jeep! Time to go get it dirty! :D

PhillipG65
December 22nd, 2017, 05:24 PM
Thank you everyone !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yep should be a little snowy, a little slippery, a little muddy YAYAA MUD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WWEEEE HE HE HE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lets go WHEEEEELLING
:lmao: :eek: :steer:

Heather
December 27th, 2017, 03:42 PM
CONGRATS on the new Jeep! Looking forward to wheeling with you again!!

PhillipG65
December 27th, 2017, 09:16 PM
CONGRATS on the new Jeep! Looking forward to wheeling with you again!!

For sure !!!!!!
I'll be looking forward to seeing you and Chris on the trails again
How is Mushu doing ??

Heather
December 28th, 2017, 10:00 AM
For sure !!!!!!
I'll be looking forward to seeing you and Chris on the trails again
How is Mushu doing ??
Mushu is doing great! He goes in to get his 6" Rock Krawler stretch put on pretty soon. For now, all work commute, and no play (don't have the disconnects installed yet :( ).

RockyMtRebel
December 28th, 2017, 10:29 AM
Dang that'll be a Beast Heather!