PDA

View Full Version : Bolt-on electric motor to LS Engine

Patrolman
December 31st, 2017, 11:16 AM
Happened to see this today. Pretty darn cool! Extra hp and about 150 foot lbs of torque.

http://www.enginelabs.com/news/sema-2016-e-charger-bolt-on-hybrid-system-draws-crowds/

newracer
December 31st, 2017, 11:25 PM
I have a LQ4 in my buggy. Wonder if they want to donate a system for testing.

Jim
December 31st, 2017, 11:32 PM
Only a matter of time before someone, for trailered buggy use, ditches the motor and big trans for a battery pack and single electric motor into the transfer case (with appropriate gearing). Battery pack for 80 miles (100max) should be way sufficient.

As an option - or a "back at camp", I could see a small propane fired, gas turbine (simple, near zero maint) to run an alternator / generator for some battery pack recharge / range extend.

Whole vehicle could easily be orientation indifferent as to fluid leakage - flop or roll - no big deal no matter how long is stays that way - no fluids leaking or going anywhere bad (crankcase motor oil filling the combustion space on a cylinder).

newracer
December 31st, 2017, 11:38 PM
A Few years ago Chrysler released the plans for a hybrid Jeep. It had 4 motors, one on each wheel, with portal axles. That would be awesome. No need for lockers, it could e done electronically. The torque would be crazy. It had a small diesel motor that was just to change the batteries if needed to extend the range.

Patrolman
January 1st, 2018, 09:48 AM
Basically a lifted Tesla, right? I agree that eventually someone will start making electric crawlers. The full torque and 0 rpm is just too enticing. The applications seem endless.

I thought that adding an electric motor to an LS was a pretty interesting way to give a big boost in power. Would be a cool sleeper!

Spieg
January 2nd, 2018, 12:22 PM
Can't recall the details but someone is selling/marketing e-4x4s already. As I recall it was a very basic design that minimized weight (picture looked a little like a boxy Bronco II). Will see if I can find the story again.

Patrolman
January 2nd, 2018, 05:38 PM
That is Bollinger Motors. Not sure about their technology yet.

https://www.theverge.com/transportation/2017/7/27/16052118/bollinger-b1-electric-sport-truck-outdoors