PDA

View Full Version : This group is awesome

RockyMtRebel
January 22nd, 2018, 04:34 PM
It's been about one year since I bought my Ram and found this website. I have gone on countless wheelin trails with group runs either I have organized or joined. Every time I do another run it becomes on of my favorites! Last weekends Hackett Gulch run was no exception, it was great!

So for any of you that are new or haven't joined one of this groups outings, this is a great group to wheel with and learn from. I can't wait for the next trail run!!!!!!

Jackie
January 22nd, 2018, 05:10 PM
...this is a great group to wheel with and learn from. I can't wait for the next trail run!!!!!!

X2^^

Jim
January 22nd, 2018, 05:12 PM
:frontrange4x4:

As for trails - what above timberline trails have you visited? Yankee Hill I think is on your list.

My fav's are the Red Cone / Saints John for day trip trails. On my one visit to Ouray (Thanks Tom!) - those trails & scenery are in a class by themselves.

I'm certain you'll have more favorites as trails get visited!

goSlo
January 22nd, 2018, 05:22 PM
I wholeheartedly agree!

That Argentine Pass to Mclellan Mountain run was absolutely stunning!

I really hope to see Ouray for the first time this year too.

TDash
January 22nd, 2018, 05:24 PM
strongly agree!

PS is there a donate page to help pay for hosting fees etc?

goSlo
January 22nd, 2018, 05:33 PM
See this post by Jim:

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?22747-Donations

Getaklu
January 22nd, 2018, 05:42 PM
strongly agree!

PS is there a donate page to help pay for hosting fees etc?

Usually twice a year Jim will collect for the software and hosting fees. Also at least two times a year we get together for a trail cleanup for our adopted trails. This is a good time and you should try to make at least one of those as well if you want to give back.

TDash
January 22nd, 2018, 06:01 PM
See this post by Jim:

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?22747-Donations

ok cool i believe the donation bar isn't active at the moment so maybe better to wait until spring for donations and i will be gladly helping contribute!

Also at least two times a year we get together for a trail cleanup for our adopted trails. This is a good time and you should try to make at least one of those as well if you want to give back.

sounds great thanks!

RockyMtRebel
January 22nd, 2018, 06:29 PM

As for trails - what above timberline trails have you visited? Yankee Hill I think is on your list.

My fav's are the Red Cone / Saints John for day trip trails. On my one visit to Ouray (Thanks Tom!) - those trails & scenery are in a class by themselves.

I'm certain you'll have more favorites as trails get visited!

I haven't done many epic above tree line trails, although I have done Yankee hill, Caribou and a few local routes that get above tree line just a little.

I KNOW I'll have more favorites yet to come..... and chances are it'll be with a group from here ;)

The StRanger
January 22nd, 2018, 06:45 PM
Even though I haven't been out for a while, wife is comin back around so soon it will be wheelin time again..

dieseldoc
January 22nd, 2018, 06:48 PM
Matt you have much to do brother.
come spring time watch for Middle saint vrain/ conney flats by far one of my favorites.
but this will change now with a different rig.

I am pleased to know you and look forward to many more enjoyable trips with you.

Tom
January 22nd, 2018, 06:57 PM
I haven't done many epic above tree line trails, although I have done Yankee hill, Caribou and a few local routes that get above tree line just a little.

I KNOW I'll have more favorites yet to come..... and chances are it'll be with a group from here ;)
You’ll have to run argentine pass with me this summer.

dieseldoc
January 22nd, 2018, 07:07 PM
he will like that. i know I do.

TJS86TOY
January 22nd, 2018, 07:17 PM
This is by far the best forum I have had the pleasure to run across. Met many friends here and continue to make new ones. Glad it's here for everyone to enjoy!

dieseldoc
January 22nd, 2018, 07:18 PM
This is by far the best forum I have had the pleasure to run across. Met many friends here and continue to make new ones. Glad it's here for everyone to enjoy!

X2:thumb:

FINOCJ
January 22nd, 2018, 07:47 PM

Got to agree with Jim here - if there is one must do on the bucket list it is probably Red Cone. So many great high elevation trails in the late summer - although its a bit of drive to many of them. The 3 passes around Aspen/CB are also spectatular and the Miners Loop stuff in the southern Collegiate Peaks are also fun. None of those are tough or require 37s and locked, but they sure are fun.

FINOCJ
January 22nd, 2018, 07:53 PM
Also at least two times a year we get together for a trail cleanup for our adopted trails. This is a good time and you should try to make at least one of those as well if you want to give back.

I have to see how my schedule evolves for this summer (more overseas travel plans again!), but I seemed to end up planning the last fall clean-up. As we get into the early summer, I will probably be posting some info and voting polls for this. We sponsor Devils Canyon and Barbour Fork for clean-ups at least twice a year. (FWIW - Brandt has already contacted the trail sponsor groups with ideas on how to make scheduling easier with some sort of shared calendar - contact me if you want to help out with this kind of software/website IT stuff and I will pass along Brandt's contact info. I think one of the MHJC members has gotten a start on it with him).

We also have an 'anniversary run' - but that may be taking new form as our traditional March 'anniversary' doesn't really provide much in the way of trail options now that China Wall is closed until June. Its usually a big turn-out with camping as well and hopefully trail options for rigs of all capability.

JandDGreens
January 22nd, 2018, 09:59 PM
I wholeheartedly agree!

That Argentine Pass to Mclellan Mountain run was absolutely stunning!

I really hope to see Ouray for the first time this year too.
This is a great group for sure, I wish I could go more often!
Wife and I have made up our vacaction schedule and we (I'm going solo she won't do those type of trails) have set aside a four day weekend in August. (2nd, 3rd or 4th week end) So all the trails are clear. As long as my rig is healthy!

cornpone99
January 23rd, 2018, 06:42 AM
Agreed. A great group , always willing to lend a hand.

goSlo
January 23rd, 2018, 10:00 AM
This is a great group for sure, I wish I could go more often!
Wife and I have made up our vacaction schedule and we (I'm going solo she won't do those type of trails) have set aside a four day weekend in August. (2nd, 3rd or 4th week end) So all the trails are clear. As long as my rig is healthy!

I'm going to do all I can to run it with you man!

RockyMtRebel
January 23rd, 2018, 10:05 AM
I will definitely be as active this year as I was last year..... and since I did all the local trails (ran Middle St. Vrain 3 times last year) I will definitely be interested in getting out further to hit some of these awesome trails. Red Cone is on the list FOR SURE!!!! I also want to do at least two MOAB trips this year....... and I can see a Gulches camping trip to hit all the trails and soak up the area!

open_circuit
January 23rd, 2018, 10:28 AM
Awesome. So when are we making a group run to Moab again?

RockyMtRebel
January 23rd, 2018, 02:34 PM
I'd be up for a long weekend anytime from April on....

Heather
January 23rd, 2018, 03:33 PM
Is anyone going out for EJS?

Agreed that this forum is the best. I joined in 2011, and don't intend to be inactive again. I miss the original group (i'm sappy like that) - but it's clear from the forum and the new (to me) people I've met that the same quality continues!

Java
January 23rd, 2018, 05:58 PM
I've also been a member for a while and I miss some people too, but I enjoy the forum more now than ever. Jim's management style keeps things smooth and quiet, and there are a lot of members that get out and wheel these days. 2018 is looking good!! :thumb:

I want to go to Moab too and to get there I want to try Gateway to Onion Creek like the OP posted up last year.

dieseldoc
January 23rd, 2018, 06:11 PM
Is anyone going out for EJS?

Agreed that this forum is the best. I joined in 2011, and don't intend to be inactive again. I miss the original group (i'm sappy like that) - but it's clear from the forum and the new (to me) people I've met that the same quality continues!

not to poke and prod but your kinda inactive now....no pics means it didn't happen!
some ones got to poke ya for pics come on the stretch is done and no one has seen said jeep!
you going to come out and play soon??????

RockyMtRebel
January 23rd, 2018, 06:18 PM
What is EJS??

dieseldoc
January 23rd, 2018, 06:24 PM
Easter
Jeep
Safari

EJS moab over the 2 weeks of easter. saters the week before and is done and gone the weekend after.
at thats how it was running when I lived there.

RockyMtRebel
January 23rd, 2018, 06:34 PM
Oh yea, too many Jeeps in one place at one time in my opinion. I like small groups

open_circuit
January 24th, 2018, 07:44 AM
I'm sure EJS is an experience worth having once, but I really enjoyed how quiet Moab was when James and I wheeled there over Thanksgiving week 2017. Hoping for another week like that this year sometime.

Java
January 24th, 2018, 08:21 AM
Few years ago we ran into a group from Jeep Jamboree on Fins n' Things, just after 1:15 in this video. They clogged up the first real set of obstacles, and were parked a bit more on the trail than they needed to be, but otherwise they were just a blip on the radar and we never saw them again all day. Moab is big, you often feel alone even when it's busy, in my limited experience. JJ did not look like something I'd be interested in at all, but to each their own.

https://vimeo.com/77375625

https://vimeo.com/77375625

Heather
January 24th, 2018, 04:30 PM
not to poke and prod but your kinda inactive now....no pics means it didn't happen!
some ones got to poke ya for pics come on the stretch is done and no one has seen said jeep!
you going to come out and play soon??????

Ha! I have one partial pic of the rear quarter, with rollers on it (that's all that would fit under the rear, with where the stretch put the axle). Hubby has taken a bunch of pix, but isn't showing me. Believe me, when I get my paws back on Mushu, there will be pix!

Re: EJS - we've only ever gone on one EJS sponsored run in four years (although hubby does the Patriot Crawl - but that's not officially part of EJS). It was Pritchett last year (hubby ran it in his JKUR - I hiked with friends and took pictures). I think it was 52 rigs - and shockingly, we were back slightly after dark (the 17 miles of washboard dirt back out to the main road took FOREVER). It was unreal how well it went. Then of course we heard nightmares about other runs that day. We look at the EJS run calendar, and run the trails that *aren't* sponsored on any given day - it's heaven! And the evenings are awesome, with all the rigs and people. We only started going in '14 (I think) because we had a friend prior to that that was always saying how it was insanely crowded and not worth it. We checked it out, were strategic about our trail choices, and have loved it. But, I can also completely understand why a lot of people won't go, and don't like it at all. I also love going out in October in conjunction with The Other Half half marathon. Perfect weather, perfect long weekend. Thanksgiving is a great idea!!! We may have to try that!

I would love to run to Moab some day with FR4x4 peeps.

Chris
January 24th, 2018, 05:32 PM
I miss the original group (i'm sappy like that) - but it's clear from the forum and the new (to me) people I've met that the same quality continues!

I was reading through and noting the posters username only to realize I’ve never met most of you. The “original group” seems pretty much gone so it’s particularly nice to see the quality of members continues. Interests change, people move, times change but it looks like Front Range 4x4 remains to continue being the great 4x4 it’s always been. That’s so nice to see.

Heather
January 25th, 2018, 11:53 AM
I was reading through and noting the posters username only to realize I’ve never met most of you. The “original group” seems pretty much gone so it’s particularly nice to see the quality of members continues. Interests change, people move, times change but it looks like Front Range 4x4 remains to continue being the great 4x4 it’s always been. That’s so nice to see.

You built a fabulous foundation, and found great people to carry your management torch! :GroupHug:

dieseldoc
January 25th, 2018, 12:02 PM
I have to agree, it seems we have continued to accuire quality members.

newracer
January 25th, 2018, 11:43 PM
Easter
Jeep
Safari

EJS moab over the 2 weeks of easter. saters the week before and is done and gone the weekend after.
at thats how it was running when I lived there.

It's 9 days now, starts on a Friday and ends on the following Sunday.

dieseldoc
January 26th, 2018, 05:10 PM
thats the official time table.
reality is the week before and the week after are always jammin there

ILuvtheMountains
January 26th, 2018, 09:35 PM
This is exactly why I never actually leave this place. This latest is my longest hiatus but I can’t get away from the quality treatment here compared to any other forum I’ve ever been on. Great people who do what they say and take care of each other. Can’t wait to whwel with y’all again. Jim and I and a few other took a trip to Moab and even when I bit off WAY more than I could chew on flat iron Mesa, they took care of me! ;)

Jim
January 26th, 2018, 09:59 PM
a trip to Moab and even when I bit off WAY more than I could chew on flat iron Mesa, they took care of me!

That was the three winch pull up the (dry) waterfall, yes? If yes, who has photos?

Brian
January 26th, 2018, 10:06 PM
This group has helped me through some challenges along the way the last 7 years. Kept me focused and energized! Thanks!

ILuvtheMountains
January 26th, 2018, 10:25 PM
That was the three winch pull up the (dry) waterfall, yes? If yes, who has photos?
:redface: Yep, that was the one. I was pretty busy watching the sky and getting an earful from my wife. But there were pictures. I will look around. It was a great day, though! A great trip

Jim
January 27th, 2018, 01:35 AM
Found some pix!

May 14, 2014

The group...
http://www.jimwilliamson.net/automobile/2014-06-14--trail--moab/day1/img_2388.jpg

Before the waterfall ledge, a decently long climb came first.
http://www.jimwilliamson.net/automobile/2014-06-14--trail--moab/day1/img_2475.jpg

The ledge
http://www.jimwilliamson.net/automobile/2014-06-14--trail--moab/day1/img_2476.jpg

http://www.jimwilliamson.net/automobile/2014-06-14--trail--moab/day1/img_2479.jpg

Winches, that drove around the obstacle, at the ready
http://www.jimwilliamson.net/automobile/2014-06-14--trail--moab/day1/img_2483.jpg

`doesn't look like much from this direction.
http://www.jimwilliamson.net/automobile/2014-06-14--trail--moab/day1/img_2484.jpg

"You sure you want to tackle it?" "Yep, I just installed undercarriage protection & sliders - we're set!"
http://www.jimwilliamson.net/automobile/2014-06-14--trail--moab/day1/img_2488.jpg

http://www.jimwilliamson.net/automobile/2014-06-14--trail--moab/day1/img_2489.jpg

Deed's done!

Look at that - no fluids where they shouldn't be!
http://www.jimwilliamson.net/automobile/2014-06-14--trail--moab/day1/img_2494.jpg

Chris
January 27th, 2018, 04:01 PM
You built a fabulous foundation, and found great people to carry your management torch! :GroupHug:

Thanks, the foundation was laid years ago, the constant building is what carries things on. Thanks to everyone that’s contributed over the years I know it’s in great hands for years to come.

dieseldoc
January 27th, 2018, 04:27 PM
good folks here and always good fun on the trail.