PDA

View Full Version : Feb 3-4

66cobra
January 29th, 2018, 06:56 PM
Anyone thinking of going out Feb 3rd or 4th, I have not been out since October. I am in the Loveland area and open to suggestions. I think 7 mile is usually open just not sure of snow load up there, that is usually a super easy one. Let me know if there is any interest in that or something else.

PhillipG65
January 29th, 2018, 07:27 PM
Anyone thinking of going out Feb 3rd or 4th, I have not been out since October. I am in the Loveland area and open to suggestions. I think 7 mile is usually open just not sure of snow load up there, that is usually a super easy one. Let me know if there is any interest in that or something else.

It could be a good time for me to get away for a few hours. Is there a plan yet ?

open_circuit
January 30th, 2018, 09:35 AM
I haven't been out on a trail in a while. Would like to get out on a mild run. I don't have any chains, so I have been cautious about heading out this winter.

66cobra
January 30th, 2018, 09:51 AM
(famous last words). I have never needed them on this trail. I have a winch,looks like you as well.

open_circuit
January 30th, 2018, 09:55 AM
Yes, I have a winch, which I've never used and came with the Jeep when I bought it last year.

Jim
January 30th, 2018, 11:11 AM
I have a winch, which I've never used and came with the Jeep when I bought it

Sounds like some "learn'n" is in order!

JandDGreens
January 30th, 2018, 11:13 AM
Might be interested in getting out, we were thinking of running Mnt Herman down our way.
(Shake down run with a buddy)
But if that falls apart and I can join you guys up north (maybe???)

open_circuit
January 30th, 2018, 01:02 PM
Sounds like some "learn'n" is in order!

Most definitely. I am not confident that I know how to safely use my winch for recovery yet.

JandDGreens
January 30th, 2018, 04:03 PM
Maybe it’s time for a little practice winching session??

66cobra
January 30th, 2018, 06:27 PM
No worries, I have had plenty of practice
Saturday mid morning works best for me

JandDGreens
January 30th, 2018, 10:38 PM
7 mile area? Saturday Noon-ish. You going to post it with all the details?

dieseldoc
January 31st, 2018, 06:12 AM
So what's the plan here....I need trail time...and a +1

Stu
January 31st, 2018, 07:06 AM
I'd be interested as well, but I'm not too familiar with 7 mile area. Where exactly are you thinking of going?

TJS86TOY
January 31st, 2018, 07:40 AM
Interested as well. As long as it's not to far.

RockyMtRebel
January 31st, 2018, 08:34 AM
Sevenmile is a good 2 hour drive to the trailhead for me, but its a trail (along with the rest of the "mud loop" trails) that I really want to do. I would like to join but have a feeling this might not happen for me. 50/50 chance I can make this.... but if I can't I'll probably do something close to home ---> was thinking MILLER ROCK, DRY ST VRAIN (BIG JOHN MOUNTAIN) or just messing around on PARACHUTE HILL for a few hours. We're potentially getting a little rain/snow tonight and then again on Sunday.... it's really dry up in the mountain right now ;-)

66cobra
January 31st, 2018, 08:51 AM
Weather indicates a heavier snowfall for Northern Colorado tonight and tomorrow so this may end up being more interesting than normal.I have run this before in deep snow and it was still fairly easy with decent tires. General Plan would be to meet up at Glen Echo resort in Rustic Colorado @10:30-11:00 on Saturday approx 25 mi West of 287 on CO/SH 14 (10 min W. of Kelly Flats trail head) They have a fuel station there as well as a restaurant with good breakfast.

I will confirm trail is open and post the specifics later today. Thanks for the interest

JandDGreens
January 31st, 2018, 09:28 AM
Still trying to nail down plans.

66cobra
January 31st, 2018, 01:24 PM
Larimer ranger district says trail open, I will move to planned run

TJS86TOY
January 31st, 2018, 05:35 PM
Sorry, bit far for a day trip. Have fun!

RockyMtRebel
January 31st, 2018, 05:45 PM
Yea I have to be in Boulder in the afternoon so I'm going to post a Sat morning short run near Lyons --- Miller Rock and/or Dry St Vrain for a 3-4 hour morning run. Phillip you interested?? We could do Dry first, it's easy but rarely travelled and beautiful. Then we could check out Miller Rock, we can just not do the hard obstacle - there are a bunch of easy trails and some moderate stuff right near Miller Rock!
Anyone else is welcome to join also! Thinking 8am start and finished at noon!

Max
January 31st, 2018, 05:53 PM
Yea I have to be in Boulder in the afternoon so I'm going to post a Sat morning short run near Lyons --- Miller Rock and/or Dry St Vrain for a 3-4 hour morning run. Phillip you interested??

I'm interested, but may have to work Saturday morning.

RockyMtRebel
January 31st, 2018, 05:55 PM
Call in sick... lol

cnstaco
January 31st, 2018, 06:26 PM
I might be in for Saturday morning, I’ll check back later but dang Matt 8am is early lol

RockyMtRebel
January 31st, 2018, 06:29 PM
8 is nothing, I'm up at 6 every day

66cobra
January 31st, 2018, 07:36 PM
8 is nothing, I'm up at 6 every day
Dry St. Varain? What is that.

RockyMtRebel
January 31st, 2018, 07:46 PM
https://www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/283-big-john-mountain-road

Miller Rock is sounding good, there are 4 spurs and one is very challenging

newracer
January 31st, 2018, 08:55 PM
Sorry, bit far for a day trip. Have fun! No further than Indy, Carnage, or Wheeler. ;)

PhillipG65
January 31st, 2018, 09:30 PM
Yea I have to be in Boulder in the afternoon so I'm going to post a Sat morning short run near Lyons --- Miller Rock and/or Dry St Vrain for a 3-4 hour morning run. Phillip you interested?? We could do Dry first, it's easy but rarely travelled and beautiful. Then we could check out Miller Rock, we can just not do the hard obstacle - there are a bunch of easy trails and some moderate stuff right near Miller Rock!
Anyone else is welcome to join also! Thinking 8am start and finished at noon!

Sounds pretty good, I'll have to play it by ear for now, I will let you know for sure one way or the other by Friday afternoon

Max
February 1st, 2018, 07:10 AM
Why don't we meet at 5:30am? Because I'm up at 4am everyday, so 6 is nothing. :rolleyes::lmao: JK, I'm trying to make a point.

Java
February 1st, 2018, 08:00 AM
I get up early too, 5 or 6, but the time to get to some trailheads on time is still tough. Just set up a 2nd later meetup, no reason we can't have two groups on the same trail in a day. Might be good for the first group if they get into trouble, help is on the way.

RockyMtRebel
February 1st, 2018, 08:14 AM
Since I have to be in Boulder I need to be done by noon.... starting at 8 gives me 4 hours. That's why I'm suggesting 8am start. 10am start doesn't give me anytime to wheel.... get my point?
:p

RockyMtRebel
February 1st, 2018, 01:43 PM
So it snowed a couple inches last night, and Dry St Vrain will still be doable but I am going to try to swing by the Miller Rock trailhead and see if it looks doable today or tomorrow if I can. But I'm thinking at the moment, if anyone is interested, of starting at Dry St. Vrain (aka Big John Mountain) and running this first to see how much snow/mud and just be in a beautiful quiet place for an hour or two. And then was thinking of running up to Miller Rock (2 minutes up the road) and running the various loops and coming back out the main trailhead. Probably skipping the hard obstacle since it's a long tumble to the creek if you slide off the road there ;-/

I'll post up in the calendar also, so now there'll be 3 options this weekend..... NICE!

RockyMtRebel
February 1st, 2018, 05:00 PM
Man, what other group has 3 different wheeling options on a weekend in February? This place is great!

PhillipG65
February 1st, 2018, 05:56 PM
So it snowed a couple inches last night, and Dry St Vrain will still be doable but I am going to try to swing by the Miller Rock trailhead and see if it looks doable today or tomorrow if I can. But I'm thinking at the moment, if anyone is interested, of starting at Dry St. Vrain (aka Big John Mountain) and running this first to see how much snow/mud and just be in a beautiful quiet place for an hour or two. And then was thinking of running up to Miller Rock (2 minutes up the road) and running the various loops and coming back out the main trailhead. Probably skipping the hard obstacle since it's a long tumble to the creek if you slide off the road there ;-/

I'll post up in the calendar also, so now there'll be 3 options this weekend..... NICE!

I might go if I get my new tires...

PhillipG65
February 1st, 2018, 05:58 PM
LOL
wouldn't it be great to see them on the Elephant

RockyMtRebel
February 1st, 2018, 06:35 PM
You would need quite the lift!!

TJS86TOY
February 2nd, 2018, 06:09 PM
No further than Indy, Carnage, or Wheeler. ;)
It is for that early :)

Max
February 2nd, 2018, 09:53 PM
I don't have to work tomorrow morning, so I am going to try to make it if I can wake up early enough.

RockyMtRebel
February 2nd, 2018, 10:01 PM
I pulled the event off the calendar since no one was interested. If you wake up early and wanna wheel Miller Rock let me know..... I can see getting out for a few hours

Max
February 2nd, 2018, 11:14 PM
It's okay, maybe next time.

RockyMtRebel
February 3rd, 2018, 07:30 AM
We got another inch or two of snow last night.... plows are out! I'm likely going to go play for a couple hours late morning to check out conditions..... thinking maybe of doing something tomorrow (Sunday) morning. It's supposed to snow on and off for the next couple days but if anyone wants to either roll around in the snow on something easy/flat OR do something challenging like Miller Rock or Ironclads or something .... let me know!

RockyMtRebel
February 3rd, 2018, 12:21 PM
Drove by Miller Rock trailhead, was a little snowy but much less than I expected. Planning on running it tomorrow Late morning/early afternoon

RockyMtRebel
February 4th, 2018, 07:52 AM
Didn't snow much last night, should be a fun run up Miller Rock today. Meeting at noon if you would like to join! Rated as hard but we can skip the hard obstacles and make this a moderate trail ;)

Jim
February 4th, 2018, 09:47 AM
Enjoy a nice time!

RockyMtRebel
February 4th, 2018, 09:52 AM
Thanks Jim!