PDA

View Full Version : Need Dana 30 Regeared

timbo
May 2nd, 2018, 10:46 AM
I have been searching for a XJ high pinion Dana 30 with 4.10 to bolt into my project ZJ, but have not had much luck finding a decent one for much less than $1000. I currently have a HPD30 that is 3.55 gears, below the 3.73 carrier split, so I was hoping I could find one already geared to just drop in. Since that is becoming less and less likely, I am turning to the talented member of front range 4x4 to get a price to regear it to 4.10. I've seen some decent prices for used carriers and reverse cut 4.10 ring and pinion on eBay, and I could supply those parts.

Can anyone give me quote to install new axle seals, used carrier and 4.10 R&P? The axle will be out of the jeep and I can bring it to you/your shop.

Thanks in advance!

-Tim

Java
May 3rd, 2018, 08:39 AM
Have you considered DIY? Gears are, IMO, over-hyped on their difficulty. I've done it myself 5 times and it's worked everytime, currently running gears I did myself; you just have to measure a lot.

This shows it- even if you don't set up the gears you can do everything else pretty easily, especially with the axle not in a rig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R24wh8DNXnc

timbo
May 3rd, 2018, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the tip!

I know I would be fully capable of setting up the gears, but I just don't have the time!
I am deep into rebuilding the rest of this ZJ, and also building a teardrop camper at the same time. I hope to have both done (or mostly done!) by the mid to end of June. I still am considering it though...

timbo
May 11th, 2018, 09:18 AM
I guess I should update this post. Plans have changed a bit. I purchased a HP30 housing that has been cleaned up and painted and I also purchased 4.56 USA Standard gears and master rebuild kits for both the HP30 and the Ford 8.8 rear.

I found a local guy in lakewood that is quoting me $300 per axle to re-gear and he will also warranty the work. I'll probably be going to him but I'm open to suggestions and quotes.

Any takers?