PDA

View Full Version : Bunce School RD & Ironclads - May 6th

Maverick1872
May 5th, 2018, 04:32 PM
Me and another local guy are planning on hitting these two trails tomorrow after the honor flight. Imagine we'll be at the trailhead around 11 or so but that's entirely dependent on how long the honor flight lasts, and if we decide to get lunch afterwards. If anyone is interested we'd love to have you along.

RockyMtRebel
May 5th, 2018, 05:16 PM
Maybe!

JandDGreens
May 5th, 2018, 08:50 PM
When do you think T-33 will open up? I would like to run those trails then. Wish I could go tomorrow but just went down to the Gulches today and don't think I could get away 2 days ago.

RockyMtRebel
May 5th, 2018, 09:43 PM
T33 will open around Memorial Day weekend, along with most other seasonal closure trails

JandDGreens
May 5th, 2018, 10:57 PM
I already have plans for the Memorial Day weekend but if I can I would love to run T-33 this summer.

RockyMtRebel
May 6th, 2018, 07:27 PM
I did Bunce road to the gate and the first part of Ironclads this morning......beautiful day!

Maverick1872
May 7th, 2018, 09:31 PM
https://imgur.com/a/SX4GuIx/We ended up doing all of Ironclads. Took the loop to the right as suggested. After finishing most of the loop I was feeling pretty comfortable, as it's probably one of the harder trails I've done at this point, when I came upon the ledge. I knew I'd drag for sure but I didn't think I would high-center. Couldn't get traction even with the lockers. Had to winch/drag myself off. All I gotta say is I'm happy I went with skids first.

newracer
May 7th, 2018, 10:08 PM
Just needed to take a little more angle going off the ledge.

Maverick1872
May 7th, 2018, 10:15 PM
Just needed to take a little more angle going off the ledge.
Yea hindsight's 20-20. Ya live and ya learn and god knows I have plenty to learn still.

MartinR80233
May 11th, 2018, 08:40 AM
This sounds like a fun trail to run with my stock 2 door JK Rubi. What do you guys think?

Maverick1872
May 11th, 2018, 09:00 AM
Definitely - As you can see from my photos above and other posters the hardest obstacle will be manageable with your 2-door. Will give you a good idea/baseline for what you're comfortable with as well. I'd be more than happy to go with just make a thread in the "Trail Run Planning" forum and we'll see if we can't get a date/time set-up.

FINOCJ
May 11th, 2018, 09:23 AM
This one is on my list as well - trying to fill in a lot of the trails I haven't run up in the peak to peak region.

RockyMtRebel
May 11th, 2018, 09:27 AM
This is a perfect trail to get out in the mountains and the Ironclads loop is consistently challenging (moderate) and fun, yet short enough to do in an hour. I live very close to this trail and have done it countless times in my RAM 1500 and my Jeep. I did the Ironclads loop the other night by myself for the sunset and it took just over an hour. I did the loop clockwise, so I climbed up the rock step that Maverick got high centered on going down..... Lockers make it easy ;-)
If you combine Bunce Road and Ironclads, it's a good half-day route! Once the forest service opens the gates, you can continue on Bunce to do the AWESOME T-33 Airplane crash route and also can get to Middle St. Vrain trailhead (arguably the most popular moderate 4x4 trail in the front range).

Warning: Bunce/Ironclads is extremely popular especially on the weekends, full of ATV's, UTV's and a ton of 4x4 folks.... and you will hear gun shots since there are a few shooting ranges along the trail. Doing this during the week is awesome, as there are very few others on the trail.

MartinR80233
May 11th, 2018, 11:01 AM
Thanks guys. I’ll definitely have to get out there and check it out.