PDA

View Full Version : FJC Diff Difficulties?

Pathrat
June 11th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Hey all,
I just got an email that mentions the writer has "heard of more than a couple people having serious problems with the differentials". I really don't want to talk to this person so I thought I would check out the FJC forum and ask here.

Anyone hear of anything?

Funrover
June 11th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Never heard of anythng...sorry!

Chris
June 11th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Did they have any specifics? That's a pretty vague statement.

Pathrat
June 11th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Did they have any specifics? That's a pretty vague statement.

No kidding, it is pretty vague and from a less than reliable source. I googled it and got nothing.

Patrolman
June 11th, 2008, 08:33 PM
I would say that if you weren't able to google it and there is no specific mention or recalls, then you are likely OK. "IF" there were a problem, I would imagine it would likely be in the front. Rear axles rarely have problems since that technology is nothing new (except the e-locker). Companies have had minor issues over the years with IFS and auto hubs/shafts. Usually that won't leave you stranded. You just won't get on the trail to begin with since you will only be in 2wd.

Pathrat
June 11th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Thanks. I did go to the FJC forum and the only thing I found was people having problems with bad t-case oil, bad meaning discolored and some who had metal shavings and one whose diff went all smokey and bad. It didn't look like there was a specific cause. I had mine serviced at 15K miles and plan to get it done again at 30K.

Brody
June 12th, 2008, 04:41 AM
The last Toyota Owner's Magazine had an article that mentioned the wheel hop shimmy that FJC's are prone to have with the something, something in the transfer case engaged that would blow out a diff. Sounded like more than wheel hop, and it occurred mostly on sandy, rocky uphills.

I didn't pay all that much attention simply because I don't have one. Seems like a google search should've turned up something....

Brody
June 12th, 2008, 05:16 AM
I did a little research this AM and ended up going to the pirate 4x4 site. There is a lot of info on FJCs here and any problems are sure to be posted on pirate4x4. I didn't go all the way through it and saw only one mention of problem (page 2 out of ??). You might want to check this out and spend a little time on the site. Here is the link:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=78

Despite what a lot of people have to say about pirate4x4 (mainly too sensitive folks) there is a wealth of information posted here for any 4x4 rig. They have a separate FJ forum with lots of information.

Seems the problems arise from using the anti lock/traction control (whatever Toyota calls it) on the FJs and not knowing when to back off of the gas. Pretty much like hammering down when your already have wheel hop going on...a sure way to break something...

Hope that this helps

And Pathrat, look at the reports on what people like for front bumpers, too. I imagine that one of your next upgrades is going to a winch/bumper combo. Also check out the posts/links to the winches on craigslist that Jeff has posted and it will give you an idea of what you can get a good used winch for. Keep in mind that the majority of people that have used winches for sale have never used them. Happy to help you with this if and when you get around to it, both with the install and advice..

Brody
June 12th, 2008, 06:03 AM
Came across this cool link, too, all FJC illustrations with text comments. Worth a looksee...

http://www.technical-illustrations.co.uk/toyota.html

If this doesn't get you to the site, drop the '.html' which sometimes helps.

Pathrat
June 12th, 2008, 10:32 AM
The FJC Trail Team held a run up the Kokopelli trail from Grand Junction to Moab this Fall, and I noticed a comment that they "always carry a spare differential", and lo and behold one of the FJC drivers busted a diff.

It caught my eye because that was an expedition run, not hardcore stuff. You could check out the FJC forum on IH8MUD, you'll get good info there.

Thank you. Your post reminded me that I have a myspace "friend" who is one of the Trail Team drivers...will ask him too.

Pathrat
June 12th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Came across this cool link, too, all FJC illustrations with text comments. Worth a looksee...

http://www.technical-illustrations.co.uk/toyota.html

If this doesn't get you to the site, drop the '.html' which sometimes helps.

As always, you are a wealth of helpful information, thanks! Funny, when I saw you, your head didn't look like it abnormally oversized or crammed to the point of bursting. :D

Pathrat
June 12th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Copied from Pirate4x4's FJ Forum:

I don't need to search, I know all about it. The half dozen people I've spoken to in person and my self didn't do the A-Trac hack. I didn't have A-Trac on when mine blew. The problem seems to be with build dates from 08/06 and prior. The rumor is that the R&P gears were heat treated to be harder early on so that they would have a longer life, but wound up being too brittle"

"Locker or A-ATRAC, doesn't matter. The ring is weak, period. The build date info is right. The supplier didn't cryo the ring and when you drive in 4-lo anytome on loose gravel, you run the risk of blowing the rear. I've seen it happen 5 or 6 times.

ATRAC and the locker only increase the rate of blowing it up because you only use them when you need them...and in the areas that could blow your rear. I've seen 3 fronts blow too, similar issue, but not documented like the rear. All were covered under warranty or the owners sued to have them covered because it is a known defect."

I need to go back and find Una's email and write.

Brody
June 13th, 2008, 07:34 AM
My head didn't look oversized mainly because I eat a lot of prunes and am extremely regular, plus I have gravity on my side. Information flows downhill much like other products...

Jimmy
June 13th, 2008, 05:03 PM
My head didn't look oversized mainly because I eat a lot of prunes and am extremely regular, plus I have gravity on my side. Information flows downhill much like other products...

I'm thinkin' that skull of yours is so hard, that expansion isn't an option. I'd imagine that noggin' keeps a full load and the rest just come rollin' off the tongue.

:)