PDA

View Full Version : Wildcat Canyon tails closed (Metberry/Longwatter/etc...)?

Spieg
June 18th, 2018, 04:45 PM
I ran across this on the Predator 4WD website (http://predator4wd.com/trailnews.html). I know some of you use those trails... are they really closed?

Date Posted: September 5, 2017

Important information about the trails in Wildcat Canyon.

The trails in the Wildcat Canyon have continued to deteriorate at a disturbing rate. This is not good news for 4-wheel drive enthusiasts.

The Pike San Isabel lawsuit is still in progress. Even though there are organizations that support our concerns and are on top of the situation; the Forest Service has conducted closed-door meetings with anti-access groups. The Trail Preservation Alliance and COHVCO have notified the Forest Service that these exclusive closed-door meetings may be violating the law.

The Forest Service allowed motorists use of the trails but unfortunately motorists are also using the closed trails and the Forest Service does not have the resources to stop them.

Volunteers in the motorized community have offered to help with the trail maintenance but the Forest Service has declined their offers.

The Forest Service said there is too much sediment run off at the river. They haven't had the funding to find the true cause so they decided to close the trails to motorized vehicles, even though the actual cause could be attributed to bikers, hikers, environmental issues, animals and weather conditions.

dieseldoc
June 18th, 2018, 05:54 PM
have not seen the gates closed. the F.S. has been in and allowed some work done the slabs are not as badly dug out
there has been intermintant closures at the water crossings

newracer
June 18th, 2018, 08:42 PM
That article is almost year old. I believe the lawsuit has been settled which has seasonal closure of some trails but not total closure.

TNTJ05
June 18th, 2018, 09:54 PM
Did them about a month ago, and no closure signage was visible. Also, they have gates they can close, and all were open.