PDA

View Full Version : Trails for Beginner with Stock JK Wrangler

ShaneM
June 25th, 2018, 08:26 AM
I'd like a bit of feedback from those of you with some experience here. I have a trial book and the resources here I'm a bit hesitant to just go try a trail without some first-hand feedback. I want to take my daughter out for some trails this weekend. We just bought an 18 JK Wrangler sport 2 door that has the factory option 31" dueler tires on it. Can any of you guys recommend some trials that are doable for a stock Jeep and new off-roader that won't terrify my 13-year-old daughter?

We tried Metberry Gulch this weekend, but the gate you apparently have to pass through by the lake was closed and we couldn't get there. I'd love some recommendations for trails we can explore, we live in Fountain but I don't mind driving to get to the trails. If anyone has recommendations and wants to tag along I'm free next Saturday for whatever after about 10am. Thanks all!

Java
June 25th, 2018, 08:54 AM
Rampart Range and it's spurs are really easy and fun, the end goes into Garden of the gods and is beautiful. The Fourmile area is safe to solo in, good cell reception and often you can see Buena Vista. Devil's Canyon is open now too.

goSlo
June 25th, 2018, 09:13 AM
If you'd like, we can go run one of those gulch trails this Saturday (Metberry, Longwater, or Hackett).
Longwater is my fave of the three.
I should be able to talk my 13 yro daughter into going too.

ShaneM
June 25th, 2018, 09:30 AM
If you'd like, we can go run one of those gulch trails this Saturday (Metberry, Longwater, or Hackett).
Longwater is my fave of the three.
I should be able to talk my 13 yro daughter into going too.

That would be great, not many kids my daughter's age in the neighborhood so it would be cool for her to meet your daughter. I'm down for any of the three that can be done with a stock jeep.

Jim
June 25th, 2018, 10:07 AM
Bunce School Road - though it's a drive, being an up north trail.

goSlo
June 25th, 2018, 10:09 AM
Sounds like a plan.
You won't have to worry about your rig, it's plenty capable for these trails.

I'll get a planning thread put up this evening, maybe others would like to go with.

Also, we like to jump in the ice cold river at the end of Longwater, so bring extra shorts!
Hopefully the weather is nice to us.

Tom
June 25th, 2018, 10:42 AM
Switzerland Trail

Jackie
June 25th, 2018, 04:10 PM
Shane - it seems there a lot of us on here with 13 yo girls (and some boys in that age group as well)! There were at least 3 of us at the China Wall run that let our kids get behind the wheel on the forest service road leading to China Wall! goslo (Aaron) and I had our 13 yo girls follow each other on that dirt rd. and both girls did very well! I didn't see it, but someone else had his 11 yo boy behind the wheel of a rig with a manual transmission!!!

Maybe this group needs to organize a run for underage kids! (Preferably the FS roads would lead to something with at least a little bit of challenge for when the parents want a turn)! Let's see if there is any interest and maybe we can plan something for this summer.

schwanstabilo
June 25th, 2018, 04:43 PM
Anyone interested in doing an easy (2wd, I want to test my sas) trails near the north Boulderish front range on Saturday? I've got a couple kids too, 9 and 3, and a wife going out of town

Jackie
June 25th, 2018, 05:02 PM
I wish I could go, but this weekend "no good".

goSlo
June 26th, 2018, 05:57 AM
I went ahead and posted a planning thread for this Saturday if anyone wants to RSVP.

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&day=2018-6-30&e=958&c=1

ShaneM
June 26th, 2018, 07:12 AM
Shane - it seems there a lot of us on here with 13 yo girls (and some boys in that age group as well)! There were at least 3 of us at the China Wall run that let our kids get behind the wheel on the forest service road leading to China Wall! goslo (Aaron) and I had our 13 yo girls follow each other on that dirt rd. and both girls did very well! I didn't see it, but someone else had his 11 yo boy behind the wheel of a rig with a manual transmission!!!

Maybe this group needs to organize a run for underage kids! (Preferably the FS roads would lead to something with at least a little bit of challenge for when the parents want a turn)! Let's see if there is any interest and maybe we can plan something for this summer.

Yes! my daughter would love that, she wants to drive so bad. We had to hit an empty parking lot the night we bought the Jeep and let her drive, not bad for her very first time since Power Wheels to drive anything. Dark vid, but here she is being her natural loud self with the wife shotgun to pull the brake if needed.

https://youtu.be/VV_uHrdRtR0

Jackie
June 27th, 2018, 06:01 PM
Shane - I see you are in the Springs. It's quite a hike for me to go back to China Wall, but the FS rd. there has plenty of room for her to roam, make u-turns, get up a little speed, practice reverse etc. without worrying about other vehicles or other obstacles. You should take her there. Then you can drive the actual trail!

ShaneM
June 28th, 2018, 07:17 PM
I went ahead and posted a planning thread for this Saturday if anyone wants to RSVP.

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&day=2018-6-30&e=958&c=1

I just saw this over on Trailsoffroad:

Author:
dick patrick (https://www.trailsoffroad.com/users/36556)100

Not Reported

Offroaded on:
04/03/2018

I got a ticket from the DOW for having a motor vehicle on this trail. I stopped at the river and set up to go fishing when he put me through the ringer and wrote me up. I told him that everything I read said it was legal as long as I stopped at the river. He said I couldn't get within a half-mile of the water with ANY motorized vehicle.

https://www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/363-longwater-gulch

goSlo
June 28th, 2018, 07:40 PM
Sounds like we should call the South Platte Ranger District: 303-275-5610 and get clarity.

Worst case, we turn around at the county line on Longwater then go drive Metberry to the river. :steer:

ShaneM
June 29th, 2018, 09:05 AM
Sounds like we should call the South Platte Ranger District: 303-275-5610 and get clarity.

Worst case, we turn around at the county line on Longwater then go drive Metberry to the river. :steer:

I called that number, the ranger who answered said that that trail was open and that you could drive up to the river, but not into it on the trail side. I was confused about OHV permits, I've read something that made me thing street legal jeeps needed an OHV permit to use the trials, this guy said you do not. Can you guys confirm that?

Also, I am absolutely down for metberry as well if you guys are up to it.

Jim
June 29th, 2018, 09:27 AM
I've read something that made me thing street legal jeeps needed an OHV permit to use the trials, this guy said you do not. Can you guys confirm that?

It seems the main designation is that if the item to be traveled is a trail or a road. If road, no sticker needed, if trail a sticker might be needed (I don't think all trails need the sticker - could be wrong).

newracer
June 29th, 2018, 09:41 AM
I do not see it listed here.

http://staythetrail.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=266593&module_id=247561

Igrok
June 29th, 2018, 10:28 AM
If you have a tag on your jeep, you do not need an OHV sticker. It has to be one or the other. Also, that guy that got the ticket hopefully fought that one; Hell, Metberry takes you TO the river, so the ranger's logic is FUBAR.

Getaklu
June 29th, 2018, 12:23 PM
It seems the debate on these is is whether or not Park county considers them open while Teller county does. Many say to turn around at 3.8 miles in for Longwater as that is the county line. Doing so, one would miss 0.8 miles of the trail. None of the water crossings are officially open from what I understand. Predator 4x4 works with the forest service and sponsors those trails and would be one of the best resources in regards to answers.

Getaklu
June 29th, 2018, 03:24 PM
Looking at the MVUM, the three gulches appear to be county roads now, not FS, at least from the designator on the map. Red is Metberry, 205, it looks like it goes to the river which is basically the county line at that point. Blue would be Longwater, 221, it shows ending at the county line, though this one is on a section boundary instead of the river. Hackett, 220, shown in yellow looks to fork a bit right at the end, but it also ends at the county line on a boundary for the section south of Longwater.

ShaneM
June 29th, 2018, 03:47 PM
It seems the debate on these is is whether or not Park county considers them open while Teller county does. Many say to turn around at 3.8 miles in for Longwater as that is the county line. Doing so, one would miss 0.8 miles of the trail. None of the water crossings are officially open from what I understand. Predator 4x4 works with the forest service and sponsors those trails and would be one of the best resources in regards to answers.

Called them, Longwater is closed at the county line which means you can't go to the river, I think that is mile 3.8 as Getaklu said. That is why the other guy got a ticket, he was on the other county side where it is closed. Predator said they had a sign posted, but that some were taking a bypass an not seeing the sign. Metberry is open all the way to the river. He did mention to me that if you don't have lockers to stay out of Hacket, but the others were fine for stock Jeeps as you have all told me.

goSlo
June 30th, 2018, 06:54 AM
This weather outside doesn't seem very conducive to jumping in rivers.

Depending on the weather station you look at, we've got a 50% chance of precip.

You guys want to put this off until tomorrow?