PDA

View Full Version : Wheeler Lake...weekday run?

FINOCJ
July 13th, 2018, 10:53 AM
I am looking to run Wheeler Lake...I think Paul and Matt indicated interest a while ago but some conflicts came up. Anyone got a day and time they would be interested/available in the next week or two? I would prefer a weekday run, but realize not everyone has that flexibility? cheers....

Getaklu
July 13th, 2018, 11:58 AM
That trail is on my list and I should have availability weekdays over the next few weeks. No preference at this point on the exact day.

Jim
July 13th, 2018, 12:07 PM
Interested.

For me - next Tues is unscheduled as yet. The week thereafter is likely more open.

FINOCJ
July 14th, 2018, 07:49 AM
Tues of this coming week would work well for me if it works for you guys...If not then can consider going the following week.

Java
July 14th, 2018, 08:40 AM
I can do a weekday, Fridays are easiest, but life is weird right now so I don't want to make plans; whatever date you come up with I'm a maybe. David also wants to do this, but can't go on a weekday so there may be a weekend run coming too.

Getaklu
July 14th, 2018, 06:07 PM
Tuesday would work for me, how does the weather look.

Jim
July 14th, 2018, 06:59 PM
how does the weather look.

FoCo is showing some rain possibility.

FINOCJ
July 14th, 2018, 07:10 PM
from noaa for Fairplay, CO on Tues:
A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 7am. Partly sunny, with a high near 73.

Getaklu
July 14th, 2018, 07:51 PM
I looked at Fairplay, Alma, and Breckenridge. Good chance of rain, but seemed to be later in the day as expected. I’m game, would probably head up Monday to save some travel time Tuesday morning.

Jim
July 15th, 2018, 02:10 PM
Would we wish to push back a week for better weather chances?

Next week is wide open at the moment.

This Tue and Thu can work for me.

Getaklu
July 15th, 2018, 02:24 PM
Looked like 30% chance of rain, after noon. If we can get a fairly early start, we should be fine. I am open to changing as well though if that is the consensus.

FINOCJ
July 15th, 2018, 02:49 PM
Whatever works...

Getaklu
July 15th, 2018, 03:46 PM
Thursday would be an option, showing sunny all day, same as Wednesday. Sounded like Jim could do Thursday, James?

FINOCJ
July 15th, 2018, 05:43 PM
I can do thurs....although Tues weather looks ok, Thurs weather looks to be more certainly sunny. I can probably do some time next week - just not sure what days yet.

Getaklu
July 15th, 2018, 06:29 PM
Let us “have a bowel movement” or get off the pot as they say....(figured this wouldn’t get censored)

How does Tuesday at the trailhead no later than 10 sound? I would say 9 but not sure about the trip from Foco. Coming up 285, we can meet in Fairplay as well.

Good to roll?

Jim
July 15th, 2018, 06:38 PM
I'm good for firm plans.

I'm game for getting up early. The one thing that 1) I don't have experience with and 2) don't want to deal with is rush hour traffic jams between FoCo and Den. I'll probably take I-70 to Brek. I looked at the 285 route and the time is a wash between the two. I could coin flip re 70 vs 285.

With rain possibilities, I'll put the top on the jeep...

FINOCJ
July 15th, 2018, 06:39 PM
Ha Ha...I was going to say let's just pick Thurs and go with it. Meeting Fairplay would be best...I'll need gas fill-up and guaranteed cell service if needed.

FINOCJ
July 15th, 2018, 06:40 PM
ok - So Tues?

Jim
July 15th, 2018, 06:42 PM
Thurs is better re rain?

I can do either / makes no diff to me but not having rain would be nice. y'all choose...

Getaklu
July 15th, 2018, 06:58 PM
Thursday is in concrete, I will put it on the calendar as such.

Rush hour southbound I25 is not good in the morning, maybe leave at 6, trailhead by 9? For now I will calendar it as 10.

FINOCJ
July 15th, 2018, 06:59 PM
Chris - if its ok with you...I am leaning towards Thurs as the day. 10am is probably good.

FINOCJ
July 15th, 2018, 07:01 PM
Ahh....see you already moved to Thurs....thanks...see you all then.

Jim
July 15th, 2018, 07:22 PM
:thumb:

I think I'll leave the top off - but will watch Wx as time nears.

Leaving FoCo @ 6 is on my mind - possibly a tad earlier.

Chris - what city are you in? (hint: adjust your profile)

Getaklu
July 15th, 2018, 07:52 PM
Chris - what city are you in? (hint: adjust your profile)

I carry dual residency, Castle Rock and Jefferson, thus the bit of ambiguity. Not always sure where I am or will be. Granted, Jefferson isn’t quite the front range but it is much less crowded and much more peaceful. :cool:

Jim
July 15th, 2018, 10:10 PM
Just list'm both "Castle Rock & Jefferson". For run meeting it's nice to know where folks might be, generally, coming from. Nutt'n more than that.

Might one of you have an open seat for a guest? My sister is in state visiting family in Breckenridge. There's a remote chance they might wish to go with us on the trip. Two persons and I have only one open seat.

Getaklu
July 16th, 2018, 05:27 AM
I will be running solo in my JKU so will have an open seat.

FINOCJ
July 16th, 2018, 06:42 AM
Do not expect to have open seat....besides the jku would be way more comfortable.

Jim
July 16th, 2018, 01:09 PM
Thanks gents. At this point, it seems only my sister might join (TBD) - daughter looks like she'll be at work Thurs.

Java
July 16th, 2018, 05:58 PM
Just cleared my schedule and RSVP'd yes! I've wanted to run this for years, can't wait. :thumb:

FINOCJ
July 16th, 2018, 06:43 PM
Sounds good...see you on thurs

Getaklu
July 16th, 2018, 06:52 PM
Just cleared my schedule and RSVP'd yes! I've wanted to run this for years, can't wait. :thumb:

Glad you will be able to join us Paul.

FINOCJ
July 16th, 2018, 08:16 PM
Hey guys...looking like Jen and I will be heading out to Frisco on Tues to camp and hike on Wed and camp again before meeting you all on Thurs for Wheeler Lake. Not sure exactly where we will be camping - hoping to camp by Lake Dillon. Will let you know, but we may meet you at the trailhead instead of Fairplay if we are camping to the north.

Getaklu
July 16th, 2018, 08:33 PM
Sounds good James. I am heading up Wednesday so won’t have internet until I get to Fairplay Thursday, and that is using the term loosely at best, but will check for last minute updates at that point. Either way, see you Thursday.

Jim
July 16th, 2018, 09:29 PM
So, meet at the trail head between 9 and 10a (leave trail head when all of us are there if earlier)

https://www.google.com/maps/?q=39.3597396,-106.0772896

Getaklu
July 17th, 2018, 06:06 AM
So, meet at the trail head between 9 and 10a (leave trail head when all of us are there if earlier)

https://www.google.com/maps/?q=39.3597396,-106.0772896

Sounds like a plan

Java
July 17th, 2018, 06:55 AM
:thumb: Trailhead by 10.

Jim
July 17th, 2018, 07:26 AM
A question - hitting the Google map link for the trail head, then turning on Satellite view, we have a water chute dropping into the reservoir. Where is that water coming from? Crystal Lake in the next valley north?

FINOCJ
July 17th, 2018, 08:35 AM
Its the Hoosier Pass tunnel - takes water from the western slope (Blue River drainage) and puts it into the S Platte (eastern slope). The Montgomery Res is water owned by Colo Springs. Exactly where the northern/entry portal of the tunnel is unclear.

Here is some info from:
A HISTORICAL VIEW:TRANSMOUNTAIN DIVERSION DEVELOPMENT IN COLORADOJohn N. Winchester, P.E.'

Hoosier Pass Tunnel: The Continental-Hoosier Diversion System (a.k.a. the BlueRiver Project) is located southwest of Breckenridge, Colorado, and is owned by theCity of Colorado Springs which developed the project as a source of municipalwater. Water is diverted from the Blue River and its tributaries on the west slope tothe Middle Fork of the South Platte River on the east slope. Water taken through theHoosier Tunnel is delivered to Montgomery Reservoir, which is located in theheadwaters of the Middle Fork of the South Platte River above Fairplay.The Hoosier Pass Tunnel is an unlined tunnel, approximately 10 feet in diameter and1.5 miles long. The tunnel was completed in 1951 and has a capacity ofapproximately 500 cubic feet per second. Montgomery Reservoir has a capacity of4900 acre-feet, a spillway elevation of 10,861 feet and was completed in 1957. Thereservoir is also decreed to store water from the South Platte basin.Water from both the Blue River and the Middle Fork of the South Platte River isconveyed 70 miles across South Park to Colorado Springs via the 30-inchMontgomery Pipeline. The 1990-1999 average annual yield from the Blue River portion of the project was9939 acre-feet, while diversions from the South Platte were 1401 acre-feet. The 2000diversions for the Blue River and South Platte are 1401 and 386 acre-feetrespectively (CDSS, 2000; USGS, 1985).

Getaklu
July 17th, 2018, 08:36 AM
Good question. Colorado Springs owns that reservoir, they are surely taking advantage of all of their water rights. My first visit, should be a good one.

FINOCJ
July 17th, 2018, 08:39 AM
Some other interesting info - the Hoosier Pass area was the first water diversions built in the state. The tunnel replaced the original ditches. From the same article above:

East Hoosier and West Hoosier Ditches: The Hoosier Ditches were the first recordedtransmountain diversion constructed in Colorado, and were used to providesupplemental water for hydro-mining near Fairplay. The ditches divert water fromthe headwaters of the Blue River into the Middle Fork of the South Platte River. Theeast East Hoosier Ditch is 1.8 miles long, while the west East Hoosier Ditch is 1.3miles long. Hoosier Pass, the lowest point on the diversions, is at an elevation of11,540 feet. The East Hoosier Ditch is decreed for a total of 60 cubic feet per second,and the West Hoosier Ditch is decreed for 17 cubic feet per second, both with anappropriation date of August 5, 1929. The City of Colorado Springs obtained therights to the Hoosier ditches and now diverts the water through the Hoosier PassTunnel as part of the Continental-Hoosier Diversion System (Radosevich, 1976).

FINOCJ
July 17th, 2018, 08:47 AM
check this out - good map of the water diversion tunnel and ditch system. The Hoosier Pass tunnel into Montgomery is the 3rd of 3 tunnels. Its a bit confusing as there are multiple crystal lakes in the area. But the Hoosier tunnel itself starts at the small little Crystal lake on the north side of the divide. but the system as a whole start up by Peak 10 in Crystal Creek and its associated Crystal Lakes.

http://www.schweich.com/imagehtml/coxbasinh20_17.html

Getaklu
July 17th, 2018, 08:53 AM
Thanks, interesting read.

Jim
July 17th, 2018, 10:24 AM
Thanks. I enjoy learning about infrastructure.

Jim
July 18th, 2018, 09:37 PM
Look'n forward to a great day tomorrow!

My sister will join with me - bonus.

I plan to be at the trailhead between 9 and 10a. Since I'm coming via Breckenridge, I'll be in cell range until perhaps hoosier pass (unknown if cell service is in the area).

Jim
July 19th, 2018, 06:14 AM
Overslept - leaving FoCo at 6:30 - TH by 9:30/10a.

Java
July 19th, 2018, 07:37 AM
stupid life stuff this AM, I'm trying to get out of here but don't wait for me. If I'm late I'll catch up.

Java
July 19th, 2018, 08:01 AM
no way I'm going to make it in time. my dog is having an "issue" this morning, I'm on my way to rent a carpet steamer. Have fun.

FINOCJ
July 19th, 2018, 09:17 PM
sorry to have missed you - definitely keep this trail on your to do list!

Java
July 20th, 2018, 07:43 AM
For sure I'm doing this soon! My dog is really old and goofy and saw my backpack as I was getting to leave, got excited thinking she was coming... really excited... I guess she realized she was having an accident and got herself to the door, leaving a trail the whole way. I was literally on my way out the door when it happened.

Jim
July 21st, 2018, 08:01 PM
Bummer - though you have a wonderful / trusty trip companion with many miles together - a time off is no big deal in the big picture.