PDA

View Full Version : BFG KM3 Tires

FINOCJ
July 20th, 2018, 09:16 AM
I like the look of the new BFG mud tires - looks a bit more like the GY Duratrac and looks like it might be a bit better all around (that means for a DD) than the previous km2. I am currently running the km2 (and no complaints from a wheeling specific vehicle POV) and it will be awhile (hopefully) before needing new ones, but I think I would be happy to go with these.
https://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/km3

JGRubicon
July 20th, 2018, 11:18 AM
I am relatively happy with the KM's even in the snow, I never really had them on much ice though. These look nice enough, maybe when I go 33. I am sure they are $$$.

Jeff M.
July 21st, 2018, 05:57 AM
That was a pretty cool video...

Java
July 21st, 2018, 06:40 AM
They resemble the current one with siping in the center.

GPP33
August 4th, 2018, 09:23 AM
I’ll just chime in and say I hate my KM2’s. They are about the worst performing tire I’ve ever had in every condition from wet roads ice/snow to anything off road. Wouldn’t waste my money on KM3s.

JGRubicon
August 10th, 2018, 09:46 AM
Hey Pete,

I wonder if I'm not having those issues because my tires are so narrow. Out of curiosity, what are you looking at as possible replacements?

GPP33
August 10th, 2018, 11:00 AM
I would think narrower tires would be better, higher surface pressure should help in rain/snow/dirt roads/loose dirt covered rocks. Really anything but mud.I find that these tires spin easily if it's wet, I've had them just push straight while making a left turn. Turning or stopping on dirt roads is a joke, they either just slip or lock up. Snow/ice is a death wish, that is if you can ever get moving. Dry rocks seem to be ok but add a little loose dirt or water to those rocks and get ready to go nowhere.

As for replacements, these have a lot of thread depth left so I'm gonna keep running then for now. If I ever upsize to 37's I'll look at other options. I really loved the Truxus MTs that I had before these, I might look at them again.

FINOCJ
August 10th, 2018, 01:12 PM
I like my BFG KM2s quite alright. I run a 33x10.5 - so its a bit narrower. My cj also only weights about 3k lbs fully loaded. On highway, I run them at 24psi, and off road I run them at 7-9 psi. From comparing with other 4x4s with other tires, I feel they perform about the same...in other words, I slip and spin in about the same places others spin, and have traction about the same. Considering I run with open diffs, spinning tires is the end of forward progress for me, and these have been way better than the previous GYs I had, but hard to compare to an equivalent MT tire. For the price, they were 20-40% less than equivalent MTs from other brands, and thus if they give equivalent (or close to it) performance, I consider them a decent buy. From reviews at the time, it did seem quite a few people running them on heavy trucks had issues, short mileage life, etc, but they seem to do pretty well with lighter 4x4s?

Brian
August 10th, 2018, 05:28 PM
I like mine quite alright. I run a 33x10.5 - so its a bit narrower. My cj also only weights about 3k lbs fully loaded. On highway, I run them at 24psi, and off road I run them at 7-9 psi. From comparing with other 4x4s with other tires, I feel they perform about the same...in other words, I slip and spin in about the same places others spin, and have traction about the same. Considering I run with open diffs, spinning tires is the end of forward progress for me, and these have been way better than the previous GYs I had, but hard to compare to an equivalent MT tire. For the price, they were 20-40% less than equivalent MTs from other brands, and thus if they give equivalent (or close to it) performance, I consider them a decent buy. From reviews at the time, it did seem quite a few people running them on heavy trucks had issues, short mileage life, etc, but they seem to do pretty well with lighter 4x4s?

I'd agree that maybe rig weight has something to do with individual performance. I figure my LJ with soft top is under 4K lbs.

The KM3's are something I'll definitely look at for my next tire since I've had such good performance from these KM2's. I run 25 psi town/hwy and 9-10 on trail in my KM2's and have no complaints.

Getaklu
August 10th, 2018, 06:31 PM
I'd agree that maybe rig weight has something to do with individual performance. I figure my LJ with soft top is under 4K lbs.

The KM3's are something I'll definitely look at for my next tire since I've had such good performance from these KM2's. I run 25 psi town/hwy and 9-10 on trail in my KM2's and have no complaints.

i would say having yours siped has been a bonus for you as well. The 3 has some siping, not to the extent that you have, but more than the 2 which should help it on the road a bit for a DD.

Brian
August 10th, 2018, 07:41 PM
i would say having yours siped has been a bonus for you as well. The 3 has some siping, not to the extent that you have, but more than the 2 which should help it on the road a bit for a DD.

Good point, it definitely can't hurt.