PDA

View Full Version : Need to bend some steering linkage

dscowell
July 22nd, 2018, 04:27 PM
I just installed CavFabs 1 ton crossover steering on my truck. They had two steering set ups the standard which was all straight linkage and the high clearance set which had a couple bends to clear a larger diff cover and sway bar brackets. I just got the standard kit since I don't run sway bars and my diff cover is a low profile one but my tie rod is still hitting the diff cover and track bar bolt. I was wondering if anyone had a tube bender I could use to make just two ~10 degree bends on both sides of the tie rod so I could clear my axle and get my wheels to full lock.

I could run it over the knuckle but I just installed a new track bar as well so I don't want to be buying another new one.

http://cavfab.com/CavFab-Jeep-CrossOver-Steering-XJTJZJMJ_p_105.html

Brucker
July 22nd, 2018, 05:58 PM
Good luck finding a bender with the capacity to bend 1.5" solid rod. I was going to offer up my services and equipment to help you out, but even my custom hydraulic tubing bender can't bend 1.5" solid without chancing breaking a die. And I can't afford to be down.

dscowell
July 22nd, 2018, 06:22 PM
That's kinda what I was worried about. I've also thought about getting offset heims but I can't find any in a 5/8 bore.

Jim
July 22nd, 2018, 06:35 PM
Is it heat treated? Would heating the bend points be an option?

RockyMtRebel
July 23rd, 2018, 07:31 AM
Why not return it for the high clearance rod? Can’t be that much of a price difference

dscowell
July 23rd, 2018, 10:44 AM
Is it heat treated? Would heating the bend points be an option?

I don't think it's heat treated but since it's so thick the amount of heat necessary for it to bend it might just be worth it to get another kit or do something else

Why not return it for the high clearance rod? Can’t be that much of a price difference

Trying to get a hold of them to see if they have any solution before I try and do a return but they aren't very good about replying to emails or picking up the phone. I have a feeling if they don't allow me to return it I'll just get told to make it OTK.

Terrafied
July 23rd, 2018, 02:52 PM
You could bend it with an oxy-acetylene torch or oxy-propane. If you have a torch and a bender it should be quite easy to bend it, even if you don't heat it up to the full forging temperature of 2200 degrees, it will still be much more plastic at around 1700 degrees. Just heat it slowly and preheat a larger area than the area you intend to bend. The key is to not shock the material and to slowly bring it to temperature and slowly cool it down. I bend carbon steel all the time and even things thicker than 1 1/2" solid aren't that difficult to bend or twist when properly heated. Exchanging the kit would probably be easier but in a pinch make it fit with fire.