PDA

View Full Version : Canoes on 4WD Trip?

Curtis
August 2nd, 2018, 11:30 AM
Hey all,

Has anyone strapped a canoe on top to take on trips?

I'm not talking difficult stuff, mainly easy to moderate. Any issues to be aware of other than the obvious additional overhead height? Making sure the canoe is strapped down tight to avoid shifting while going over obstacles too?

That said, any recommendations on where to take a canoe and enjoy some off road?

Thanks!

Spieg
August 2nd, 2018, 12:23 PM
I've seen people canoe on Loch Lomond and Chinns Lake.

Curtis
August 2nd, 2018, 12:38 PM
I've seen people canoe on Loch Lomond and Chinns Lake.

Those look like fantastic places to go! Especially for a getaway with the kids. Thanks!

Java
August 3rd, 2018, 07:34 AM
I have two Sea Eagle 330 kayaks that I've had for about 10 years, they fit into some big backpacks and are really tough, never had any issues withthem. There are a ton of lakes to take them too, I often have them along for trips. One of the funnest things we've done was towing them around Coney Flats lake. On a weekday there are some smaller lakes around the main reservoir at Chatfield that are quiet and easy, great for kids. Grand Mesa is a fantastic place to take them, and the lake in State Forest State Park is a lot of fun too. Just about any pond is fun, everything looks different from the water.

Curtis
August 3rd, 2018, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the tips! I've got a 16' Old Town canoe that will obviously have to ride up top and was wondering if anyone has had trouble carrying something like that over moderate rocks and ruts. I'm about to put in a Rhino Rack on newly installed tracks the length of my 4Runner. Canoe is about 60 lbs. I would strap it down extra carefully, though.

Inflatable sea kayaks sound pretty awesome, though! We live right near Chatfield so we are familiar with the gravel ponds. Would love to get into places with lakes only accessible by 4WD vehicles for the scenery and seclusion.

I have two Sea Eagle 330 kayaks that I've had for about 10 years, they fit into some big backpacks and are really tough, never had any issues withthem. There are a ton of lakes to take them too, I often have them along for trips. One of the funnest things we've done was towing them around Coney Flats lake. On a weekday there are some smaller lakes around the main reservoir at Chatfield that are quiet and easy, great for kids. Grand Mesa is a fantastic place to take them, and the lake in State Forest State Park is a lot of fun too. Just about any pond is fun, everything looks different from the water.

Java
August 3rd, 2018, 10:49 AM
Forgot to say Gross Reservoir from the Winiger Ridge side, very popular for that. Maybe we need to set up a 4x4 / boat run...

Jim
August 3rd, 2018, 10:50 AM
Would love to get into places with lakes only accessible by 4WD vehicles for the scenery and seclusion.

Wheeler Lake!

Getaklu
August 3rd, 2018, 11:23 AM
Wheeler lake as Jim said, Grizzly Lake as well.

The StRanger
August 4th, 2018, 12:50 PM
Wheeler Lake!

OMG that water would be cold....

Jim
August 5th, 2018, 12:03 AM
Jim previously posted:

"Wheeler Lake!"

OMG that water would be cold....

:thumb: