PDA

View Full Version : You won’t believe what I saw this AM.

Tom
September 2nd, 2018, 03:04 PM
My wife and I did a first for us today. We went to the Calhan Paint Mines. Our route was E470,Parker, Elizabeth, etc. As we were driving I kept looking over at Pikes Peak. There was kind of weird lighting so it took quite awhile before I realized. The entire peak above tree limit was covered in fresh SNOW.

https://koaa.com/news/covering-colorado/2018/09/02/snow-on-pikes-peak-oh-my/

Getaklu
September 2nd, 2018, 03:50 PM
We noticed that from Castle Rock as well this morning. Not ready for it down here yet but it is welcome up there. How were the paint mines? Just learned of them a while back and have wondered about going. Picketwire Canyon is another on the list for me.

Tom
September 2nd, 2018, 04:16 PM
We noticed that from Castle Rock as well this morning. Not ready for it down here yet but it is welcome up there. How were the paint mines? Just learned of them a while back and have wondered about going. Picketwire Canyon is another on the list for me.
Paint mines are worth the 2+ hr drive each way from Longmont. Will share some pics once I process em.

Java
September 3rd, 2018, 11:26 AM
Looking forward to you Paint Mines pics! I'm doing a plains trip this fall, it's the first stop. :thumb:

FINOCJ
September 3rd, 2018, 04:41 PM
We got some of that precip last night in the form of rain on our campsite in the Lost Creek Wilderness near Tarryall...Considering some of the heavy rain we saw around us, we did pretty well to just get an hour of light to moderate rain. No snow in our area - we were at 11,500 and it was reasonably warm considering (say 40F).