PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone tell me......

KnuckleHead
June 18th, 2008, 09:35 PM
I changed the fluid in my rear axle this past weekend and am wondering if anyone can tell me what kind of set up I have? By the look of the cover Ihave the Ford 7.5 with 3.73 gears ( stock ). If I have read right these are what you call spider gears right.? Also if I want to put in a locker, all I really have to do is remove the spider gears and replcae with the locker right.? I've done some reading and found the some came with a locker already. Thought if its that easy maybe I might look at the junk yard and see what I come up with.

Pathrat
June 18th, 2008, 10:17 PM
those are them shiny metal kind of gears.

(come on, had to give you some response so you knew we were reading)

Brody
June 19th, 2008, 05:37 AM
You are on the right track with the lockers. Ditto with a spool. You essentially remove the spider gears (which you weld together to get an 'Lincoln Locker') and do the install of the locker or spool. You shouldn't have to mess with any gear lash, etc. One of the reason that they call a Detroit a 'lunch time locker' is due to ease of the install.

As to the ratio, count the number of gears on the big ring gear and then the number of gears on the pinion gear, then divide and you should have your ratio. Many manufacturers also attach a small metal tag to the diff or stamp a number somewhere that shows the ratio. It also might be stamped on the ring gear as I found on the Taco axle I put in my heap.

Warrlord
June 19th, 2008, 07:09 AM
If that's the rear diff in your full size, it's a 8.8", 31 spline unit. It appears to be an "open" diff. They never put a 7.5" in a full size.

The factory never put a "Locker" in it. They did however put in what they call a "Traction Lock". There's no locking capability in those, it's just a clutch type limited slip just like the "Dana Traclock".

To get a locker installed in the factory carrier, you'd need a...........

Lockright
Aussie
Detroit EZ Locker
Genuine Gear Quick Lock

The Lockright & Aussie are the best "Lunch Box" lockers. The Detroit EZ Locker is made of inferior metals & they make the Quick Lock for Genuine Gear. They don't have the longivity of the Lock Right & Aussie which is why they're considerably less expensive as those two.

Hope that helps you some.

KnuckleHead
June 19th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Right on. Thanks for the info.

No it's not from the Bronco. That I know as the 9", I already swaped in a 4.56 set in that one.