PDA

View Full Version : Browns / Breakneck Pass?

Java
September 9th, 2018, 09:11 PM
I'm heading towards Leadville later ths week and am going to go across Weston Pass to get there. I've never done the Browns / Breakneck loop but they look easy enough to solo, and from what I've seen on some trip reports there's even cell reception going over the passes (I'm skeptical of that). Has anyone ever done these?

FINOCJ
September 10th, 2018, 08:10 AM
Looks pretty cool from Trails offroad info. Never been there other than Weston Pass, and I've been up to horseshoe cirque (cool rock glacier at the bottom and it also has some fun steep skiing down the central couloir in late spring). Let us know how it goes.

Igrok
September 10th, 2018, 08:37 AM
My buddy and I went up breackneck pass about 3 years ago; its an easy trail, but does get above treeline towards the end. Worth doing at least once.

Bob
September 10th, 2018, 04:08 PM
I did Weston pass a couple of years ago. It’s easy and fairly scenic. Be aware that a major forest fire (named for the pass) occurred this summer, so check with the FS on conditions before going.

As I recall there was cell coverage for some of it, but I wasn’t trying to make a survey of that.

Java
September 10th, 2018, 06:57 PM
Weston is easy, but really beautiful and fun! I hope Browns and Breakneck are too. the FS has a map of the burn area closures, it's south of the road. :thumb: