PDA

View Full Version : Your top accessory?

alanmikkelsen
September 18th, 2018, 06:52 PM
OK, I was watching some YouTube about people's top jeep accessory. I'm thinking that if your top accessory is a new stereo, you probably aren't spending much time in the mountains!

I don't know what to call mine. The lift, lockers, gearing are all great and I couldn't/wouldn't do without them, but the top 'accessory' for me has to be my hand throttle. I use it all day, everytime I'm in the mountains.

Jim
September 18th, 2018, 07:24 PM
Hand throttle would be VERY HIGH, if not at the peak, of accessories. Lockers, to me, might be on the necessity list, sitting above accessories. While I well appreciate having a winch (it's fun putting tools to good use) it comes in a tad lower on the list.

Brian
September 18th, 2018, 07:29 PM
On board air.

alanmikkelsen
September 18th, 2018, 07:32 PM
Well, yeah, that, too!:D

FINOCJ
September 18th, 2018, 07:33 PM
Dreaming of upgrading to power steering and power brakes and fuel injection ...do those count? A flexy suspension has been a huge upgrade (even if I lost a bit of lift) as it has actually reduced my desire/need for a locker. But those are not really accessories. For me...hand throttle is big, 12V power outlet and USB plug, auxiliary heater (heated seats would be better) and I really love having a lock box in an open jeep. But the best accessory is a reliable winch.

open_circuit
September 18th, 2018, 08:09 PM
Dangerous thread. You're giving me ideas for things I didn't think about wanting before.

The StRanger
September 18th, 2018, 09:33 PM
For the Bone I like the on board air..
For the frog is the one tons...

newracer
September 18th, 2018, 10:29 PM
Sticky compound tires.

alanmikkelsen
September 19th, 2018, 07:12 AM
I'm putting on a Currie AntiRock in the next day or two. No more disconnecting!

open_circuit
September 19th, 2018, 07:38 AM
Looks like a hand throttle is both cheap and easy. I think I'll add that before Moab this fall. :thumb:

Jim
September 19th, 2018, 07:46 AM
Bicycle store - used parts bin for the shifter lever. Get a smooth rotation style not the click-notch style. Add some cable (the most expensive part of the kit as it was new vs. used bin) and an adjustable cable end for engine bay.

FINOCJ
September 19th, 2018, 08:16 AM
Looks like a hand throttle is both cheap and easy. I think I'll add that before Moab this fall. :thumb:

As Jim says - its easy and cheap to put together yourself...or...
you can buy this kit for a bit more get it shipped to your door and save the gas and time going to bike stores tracking down the parts:
https://teraflex.com/shop_items/hand-throttle-control-kit-skin-pack
of course, you will miss out on the fun of tracking down and building your own the stuff....just another option - it all works

open_circuit
September 19th, 2018, 08:19 AM
Thanks James. I had seen the kit on extreme terrain, quadratec, and amazon already. I figure $30 is cheap enough to save me the time hunting parts. I'll spend at least $15 on a shifter, cable, and cable housing, plus time driving over to performance bike. It's always good to make a quick "time value of money" evaluation on these things.

Jim
September 19th, 2018, 08:32 AM
`thought I had some pix on it...

www.JimWilliamson.net/automobile/2012-08-06--hand-throttle/ (http://www.jimwilliamson.net/automobile/2012-08-06--hand-throttle/index.html)

The engine bay end has an electrical crimp connection. Surprisingly, the crimp is strong enough for the connector to not pull off of the cable. I considered adding solder but it hasn't failed and it's been six years.

newracer
September 19th, 2018, 08:37 AM
https://www.amazon.com/SunRace-Right-Friction-Shift-Lever/dp/B001GSSO4E/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_263_lp_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=458PWHT5AB2FQ73W2TJG

https://www.amazon.com/Brake-Shift-Cable-Control-Crimp/dp/B079HQZNK9/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1537367662&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=mtb+cable&psc=1

FINOCJ
September 19th, 2018, 08:45 AM
Thanks James. I had seen the kit on extreme terrain, quadratec, and amazon already. I figure $30 is cheap enough to save me the time hunting parts. I'll spend at least $15 on a shifter, cable, and cable housing, plus time driving over to performance bike. It's always good to make a quick "time value of money" evaluation on these things.

One more thing to think about is whether you want a friction lever that stays in place and holds the throttle position open without your hand on it, or if you want a spring loaded return such that when you remove your hand and are not actively holding it in position, it returns to idle. Both have their plus and minus - As I drive a stick and have no power steering, I really needed it to hold the throttle position as hands free, but I recognize/accept there is always a bit of safety issue with such a set-up. And its easy to get too much throttle and high rev the rpms when you push in the clutch. All-in-all absolutely worth it the money...I first used mine on Chinamans and by the end of the run it felt completely natural and easy.

newracer
September 19th, 2018, 08:49 AM
I had a handle throttle on my TJ and it was a great modification. I used it more as a "poor mans" cruise control on the trail than I did for steep climbs. :D

Jim
September 19th, 2018, 08:50 AM

I can adjust the friction pressure on the fly (no tool needed) but I leave it so that it stays set where I put it - no hand holding needed while moving down the trail. If I released friction pressure, the jeep's throttle return springs would close the throttle / pull the hand throttle lever back to home. For me, in low range, I leave the hand throttle as-is during shifts and the engine speed doesn't rev too much. While it's handy for up-hill starts (manual trans) with no rollback, better than 80 0r 90% of my trail miles are hand throttle cruise control with occasional adjustments to the shifter lever. I'll occasionally press the gas pedal for "a bit more" when going uphill. It's nice to have the smoother run - not have my foot bouncing on the gas pedal on bumpy trails.

Igrok
September 19th, 2018, 10:19 AM
Currie Anti-rock for me... I'd LOVE to have one.

FINOCJ
September 19th, 2018, 10:26 AM
I'd love to have bit more light - no over the top LED light bar etc, but just a good old set of fog/spread beam lights, although I might consider a very short (5") LED bar that I could mount on the top of the winch fairlead. That is probably next on my list although a rear locker is also on the list as well as new upholstery for my old seats (or maybe just new seats).

Max
September 19th, 2018, 10:47 AM
LED headlights. I love mine and just so happen to have a second set for sale! *wink*

https://boulder.craigslist.org/pts/d/new-jeep-jk-rigid-industries/6677275487.html

newracer
September 19th, 2018, 10:49 AM
I'd love to have bit more light - no over the top LED light bar etc, but just a good old set of fog/spread beam lights, although I might consider a very short (5") LED bar that I could mount on the top of the winch fairlead. That is probably next on my list although a rear locker is also on the list as well as new upholstery for my old seats (or maybe just new seats).

LEDs lights put out so much light now that a small bar or two small pods will be more than enough for most uses. They even have small ones that are not much bigger than the rubber bumpers for when the windshield is folded down that put out a lot of light.

Spieg
September 19th, 2018, 11:38 AM
Not sure I'd call it my "favorite", but a few years ago I replaced my stock rear view mirror with one from the salvage yard ($5). It has a digital compass display so I know what direction I'm going (but even so, I still get lost sometimes...).

JGRubicon
September 19th, 2018, 11:54 AM
Accessory wise.... I still really like that ARB compressor in a tool box. OBA would be nice, but I can also throw this in my work van when I'm not in the Mountains and my or someone eases ass is covered.

My favorite modification is the smooth skid system, it's just immensely helpful.

All the hand throttle talk is extremely depressing considering in my system we're talking far, far more than $60. It would probably be easier to have Alexa handle my throttle. :lmao:

open_circuit
September 19th, 2018, 11:56 AM
I suppose I haven't contributed my favorite accessory yet. For us, it has been the ~90% sun shade we put up this summer. My red-headed wife gets sunburned when she just thinks about riding in the jeep topless (the jeep, not her). The shade made our summer far more enjoyable, and we use it all the time, not just on the trail.

Mobyjeep
September 19th, 2018, 12:01 PM
I think the full belly armor is our best accessory or winch.

Jim
September 19th, 2018, 03:29 PM
For us, it has been the ~90% sun shade we put up this summer.

I keep thinking of one of those. Custom velcro mount to the roll cage - no mounting change if the windshield is up or down. Your comment inches me forward...

All the hand throttle talk is extremely depressing considering in my system we're talking far, far more than $60.

Why? Do you have drive by wire / TPS in your gas pedal? Any way to route a cable to "move" your gas pedal for you?

Eagle6
September 19th, 2018, 05:09 PM
I guess I look at things a little differently. Most of what was listed here I don't view as accessories, I view as either part of the base build or necessary to wheel.

To me lockers are just as important as having 4 wheel drive. Body armor is necessary to be to prevent total destruction or field damage, wheels and tires larger than stock (well necessary).

I'm going to add some form of comms here as well. I know our group does not require it. But any device that is required by some of the big groups or when you go to a jamboree that is required to make a run is part of the required list.

And for those that think a winch is an accessory, haven't gotten stuck enough yet.

Accessories in no special order
Off Road Lights
SPOD switch box
GPS
On-Board Air (air in general is a necessity)
A radio that accepts memory cards or can connect to a media player (for when you are out of range, which should be most of the time).
Seat Covers
Extra Padding
Second Battery
A good cooler
Waterproof boots

newracer
September 19th, 2018, 05:21 PM
Why? Do you have drive by wire / TPS in your gas pedal? Any way to route a cable to "move" your gas pedal for you?

JK's are drive by wire. Some programmers give throttle control but they are at least $200.

open_circuit
September 19th, 2018, 07:47 PM
I keep thinking of one of those. Custom velcro mount to the roll cage - no mounting change if the windshield is up or down. Your comment inches me forward...

I am pretty sure that my sunshade only mounts to the windshield header in one place. All other points of contact are the roll bars on the driver/passenger side. For my LJ that won't work with the windshield down since I lose part of the roll cage between the windshield and second row in the process. With your roll cage, however, you should be able to make it work pretty easily.

Tom
September 19th, 2018, 08:09 PM
Uh my FT-8900R

Java
September 19th, 2018, 09:41 PM
Tube doors.

Hypoid
September 20th, 2018, 05:03 PM
Portable 12V air compressor.

Spieg
September 20th, 2018, 08:27 PM
JK's are drive by wire. Some programmers give throttle control but they are at least $200.

FWIW:
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/modified-jk-tech-dept/198905-hand-throttle-install.html