PDA

View Full Version : CB Radio Observation

Tom
October 7th, 2018, 09:54 AM
As many of you know I became a Ham Operator about a year and a half ago. During that time I have been to three hamfests: No Co Amateur Radio Club’s, Longmont Amateur Radio Club’s, and this am Boulder Amateur Radio Club’s. As far as Ham gear goes they have been a bust. Very old gear with rediculous prices.

That said I have noticed at each a lot of CB gear going for cheap. Today I saw several newer midlands for apprx $20. If someone is interested in getting a CB on the cheap this may be a good route to explore.

Just an FYI. Most fests cost a $5 entrance fee. Next one I am aware of will be in Loveland I believe late Jan or early Feb. There are numerous other clubs Denver, Castle Rock, Co Springs and most have their own fests.

Jim
October 7th, 2018, 10:50 AM
Nice to know. How about antennas - ample choices or scarce?

Tom
October 7th, 2018, 10:55 AM
Haven’t noticed any antenna. Lots of cable and fittings though.

dr350jja
October 7th, 2018, 03:30 PM
As many of you know I became a Ham Operator about a year and a half ago.

Tom, have you been using the ham radio out on trail runs? If so, is it on 'simplex?'

Tom
October 7th, 2018, 03:47 PM
Tom, have you been using the ham radio out on trail runs? If so, is it on 'simplex?'
Yes I use it on the trail. Mine mobile is a quad band. 2, 6, 10 meter plus 70 cm. I only use 2 meter and 70 cm on the trail due to my quad band antenna height. I can monitor two bands at the same time. I have one band scanning all my programmed 2 and 70 cm repeaters. I use the 2 meter national calling frequency(simplex) for rig to rig comms on the other band.

Also on occasion have sota comms while on the trail. SOTA is a ham activity and stands for summits on the air. For instance I spoke with someone on the summit of Longs peak a few weeks ago while on the trail. Those typically are 2 meter simplex.

Also have spoken several times while on the trail with a guy 70 miles east of dia.

Last year I had comms via a repeater on squaw pass while I was on the ridge above Bonanza SW of Salida. That with a $30 Baofeng.

Mobile radio is a Yaesu 8900R. Does up to 50 watts transmission. Have only ever needed 5 watts though.

If you are interested I can share how you can get into ham legally for only the cost of the Baofeng or other radio. There are free training and exam sessions available and free apps for your phone or tablet with all the actual exam questions.
For my tecnicians license I just used one of the free apps for apprx an hour a day for three weeks and aced the exam.

Bob
October 7th, 2018, 05:17 PM
Another ham here. :) I went to the BARCfest today in Longmont and didn’t buy anything.

Sadly, hamfests have been steadily declining for at least the last 10 years. Online selling has really changed the dynamics just as it has in other markets for used items. Also, Asian manufacturing has reduced the cost of brand new items to the point that used ones are often not worthwhile, such as mobile antennas or throw-away radios like Baofeng.

Many used items including transceivers are available from individual sellers on QRZ or, if you’re lucky, on Craigslist locally. And of course there is eBay. As usual, caveat emptor.

BTW, new items can be purchased from HRO, DX Engineering, and many others. HRO has physical stores and one in south Denver so you can try a radio before you buy. HRO also handles good condition used equipment. I believe that Universal Radio might still handle good used equipment as well.

dr350jja
October 7th, 2018, 11:22 PM
If you are interested I can share how you can get into ham legally for only the cost of the Baofeng or other radio.

I got a ham license 8 years ago, after I joined FR4x4, with the idea we would use them for trail comms. But that never happened. Most I've used it for was to participate in some on-air nets. None of the groups I was wheeling with ever made the switch to ham radio. (still using CB) I use the Yaesu VX-6R Dual-Band HT.

Java
October 8th, 2018, 09:23 AM
I have a cheap HAM for emergencies but have never used it. For the trail a CB is fine, you're talking to people you can see so reception is usually fine with any setup, even the little family band walkie talkies can work.

Tom
October 8th, 2018, 04:58 PM
I have a cheap HAM for emergencies but have never used it. For the trail a CB is fine, you're talking to people you can see so reception is usually fine with any setup, even the little family band walkie talkies can work.
You’d be suprised Paul at how much clearer and good mobile ham radio is over any cb I have ever heard. The guy I mentioned 70 miles east of dia was like he was standing next to me.

newracer
October 9th, 2018, 02:54 PM
Got my license a little over a year ago. My club uses HAM when we split into two or more groups on the trail but mostly use CB.

Igrok
October 9th, 2018, 04:24 PM
I'm a HAM as well (KD0VQN) - I'd be interested in getting comms going with y'all from here in the Springs. I agree the quality is head and shoulders above CB

Max
October 10th, 2018, 07:29 AM
I also have an amateur radio operator license, and a handheld radio. Everyone bring yours along the next time we go out!

Java
October 10th, 2018, 08:48 AM
You’d be suprised Paul at how much clearer and good mobile ham radio is over any cb I have ever heard. The guy I mentioned 70 miles east of dia was like he was standing next to me.

Agreed, I just meant that noone uses them, and there is no real point to having a more capable radio when you're talking to people so close you can see them. They're cool "kit", cool hobby, and for sure they're better performance than a CB, but on most trail runs the CB is fine and much more common. :thumb:

Jim
October 10th, 2018, 09:55 AM
My interest in HAM is for longer range for emergency use when out solo. We'll see what progresses...

Tom
October 10th, 2018, 11:08 AM
I also have an amateur radio operator license, and a handheld radio. Everyone bring yours along the next time we go out!
Question. Is it a ham license or a gmrs license. Both are amateur radio licenses but one is not allowed to transmit on each others frequencies.

Bob
October 10th, 2018, 04:37 PM
Actually the Amateur Radio Service (ham radio) is quite different from GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service). They are governed by completely different sections of the FCC regulations and are for different purposes. GMRS radios are not allowed to be modified, including the antenna, and they must be type accepted by the FCC to be sold or used. You are not allowed to make your own GMRS transmitter, or use an amplifier. They are very limited in power output and to a few specific frequency channels.

FRS (Family Radio Service) shares some channels with GMRS but is restricted to even less power output. CB (Citizen’s Band) is limited to other specific channels and has very limited power output. Radios for these also must be type accepted and can’t legally be modified. No technical knowledge is needed to use any of these, or to get a license in the case of GMRS.

On the other hand, hams can make their own transmitter or modify any radio for use in the many ham radio bands as long as certain technical requirements are met. Hams are also allowed to make and use amplifiers, and to use and make any sort of antenna they want. Hams can generally transmit up to 1500 Watts, and on any frequency in their bands. They can also transmit several different voice modes, many digital data modes, television, and of course the old Morse Code.

This freedom is different than any other radio service in the US. Accordingly, in order to get one of the three classes of ham license, one must pass written tests of technical knowledge about radio and electronics and the FCC regulations. The purpose of the service is basically to allow for experimentation, training of people in radio and electronics, and provide emergency communications when called upon.

(edited to fix paragraph spacing)

Jim
October 10th, 2018, 06:15 PM
Nice info - Thanks!

Max
October 10th, 2018, 07:28 PM
http://www.arrl.org/getting-your-technician-license

Tom
October 10th, 2018, 07:36 PM
http://www.arrl.org/getting-your-technician-license
Good info but ARRL is the most expensive route to get your license I know of.

Just an fyi.

TJS86TOY
October 11th, 2018, 03:28 PM
Got my license a little over a year ago. My club uses HAM when we split into two or more groups on the trail but mostly use CB.

Hmmm, did not know you where a ham.

newracer
October 12th, 2018, 01:04 PM
Hmmm, did not know you where a ham.

Yep, WA0QQT, my late father in law's call sign.

TJS86TOY
October 12th, 2018, 01:20 PM
Nice. K0TJL is mine. You ever play on the repeaters at all? I used to be big into it with HF and all but lost interest. Just now peaking interest into it again.

newracer
October 12th, 2018, 05:46 PM
I listen sometimes, mostly just when driving back and forth from the trails. I only have a Baofeng HT and few basic mobile units that used to be in taxi cabs.

Tom
October 12th, 2018, 07:01 PM
I monitor 2 meter and 70 cm most weekdays during my commute.

TJS86TOY
October 22nd, 2018, 07:28 AM
I monitor 2 meter and 70 cm most weekdays during my commute.

Im not on very much at all anymore. My Baofeung radio does not work very well inside the work van. I may have talked to you a time or two.

Tom
October 22nd, 2018, 07:42 AM
Im not on very much at all anymore. My Baofeung radio does not work very well inside the work van. I may have talked to you a time or two.

A Nagoya 771 with a window mount works really well.
https://www.amazon.com/NAGOYA-RB-CLP-SMA-Female-Antenna-Accessroy/dp/B01JUVEPBY

https://www.amazon.com/Authentic-NA-771-15-6-Inch-SMA-Female-BTECH/dp/B00KC4PWQQ?crid=2URJB12VA4JV5&keywords=nagoya+na-771&qid=1540215706&s=Electronics&sprefix=nagoya+%2Celectronics%2C155&sr=1-3&ref=sr_1_3

TJS86TOY
October 22nd, 2018, 07:46 AM
Thanks, I'll look in to that.

Tom
October 22nd, 2018, 06:11 PM
Ignore this reply. Oops.

tcgoth
November 25th, 2018, 07:29 PM
Thanks for sharing your HAM license knowledge, Tom. I am a newbie to FR4x4 and reading through this thread to learn. I am planning to study and get my HAM Technician license this winter/early spring. As you know there are lots of options and approaches to studying, testing and passing the exam. Would you be willing to share the specific path you took, study time and tips/tricks for saving money doing so? Anything you would have done differently? Your thoughts and experience would be much appreciated.

Tom
November 25th, 2018, 08:25 PM
Thanks for sharing your HAM license knowledge, Tom. I am a newbie to FR4x4 and reading through this thread to learn. I am planning to study and get my HAM Technician license this winter/early spring. As you know there are lots of options and approaches to studying, testing and passing the exam. Would you be willing to share the specific path you took, study time and tips/tricks for saving money doing so? Anything you would have done differently? Your thoughts and experience would be much appreciated.
Terry,

Sure. I would be happy to share.

First off. I got my tech study and license completely free, my general license exam free, and my extra study tools free. The exam cost me for the extra because I took it via a local ham club. I could have done it for free if I hadn’t been in a hurry.

Free exams are available via the Patriot VE Team. (https://www.pvet.org/ also on facebook). Most of their exams are held at the Red Cross, 444 Sherman St., Denver, though other locations are offered on occasion. We did one at CU last month. We also have free cram study classes. For the tech it is offered in the am of the exam. Don’t expect to pass with just that though. If you don’t pass on your first try, you can try multiple times during the same session. (I say we because I am a Patriot VE as well as an ARRL VE)

For my tech exam I simply downloaded a free app for my tablet. I do not remember which one specifically. There are several. They have all the exam questions and answers and present them as practice exams. I used one for 15-30 min a day for about three weeks and aced my exam. Find one that works well on your device.

I used Hamtestonline.com for my general and extra. This site charges apprx $30 per license. I only had to pay for my general study though as I became a volunteer examineer. They have a free extra option for VEs. Lots of people swear by hamstudy.org. Using only hamtestonline, I also aced my general exam. If you really really want to know all the if ands and buts go ahead a buy the arrl study guide for apprs $35. I personally don’t think its worth it.

Once you consistently pass practice exams at 80% you are ready to take the real exam.

You will need to get your frn number from the fcc prior to the exam. Its free.
https://apps.fcc.gov/coresWeb/publicHome.do

Most local ham clubs offer classes and exams for a fee if you prefer that route.

Feel free to ask any other questions here or pm me if you prefer.

Anther good reason to use the Patriot team is that they submit exam results to the fcc electronically. You’ll have your license posted on the fcc the following Mon or Tues after the exam. When I took my extra with a ham club it took three weeks.

tcgoth
November 25th, 2018, 09:03 PM
Just tremendous, Tom! Thanks for sharing!

willo
June 10th, 2019, 05:39 PM
I had a CB in my jeep, I ended up using it maybe twice in 3 years. My ham gear is much more useful. I'm also a fan of APRS. Once I get my new property setup a bit, I'll add an APRS gateway to a pole at some point. At a minimum, pick up a cheap Baofeng HT for $25. Programming is easy and they are handy for messing around. A decent Yaesu or Icom is worth the money. Two things that hold their value in odd ways: ham radios and guns.

Max
January 16th, 2020, 07:54 PM
Bumping up this thread for people thinking about getting a VHF/UHF two way radio.

Tom
January 16th, 2020, 08:30 PM
The Longmont Amateur Radio club is offering a technician license class beginning on the 20th.

http://w0eno.org/node/2517