PDA

View Full Version : Cb cable

Mobyjeep
October 24th, 2018, 04:23 PM
Hey guys quick question,
Tire carrier swung off from tail gate and broke cb antenna cable off, not enough cable to extend....... can i buy a piece of cable and splice it in and run it to the antenna? Anyone ever have this happen? any suggestions would be great, i am trying to avoid pulling it out completely and rerunning the entire thing.

Tom
October 24th, 2018, 07:04 PM
No cannot splice. The braided outer wire is a shield. The minute it does not cover correctly you introduce noise into transmission and reception.

You could put a pl259 connector on the end. The create another short cable with two of the same connectors and a female to female union.

That said the parts would probably cost more than a new cable. The trick is to find the correct pl259 for your cable. There are at least 2 different types common in vehicle use and each has a different connector. (Area where cable feeds in)

I have three types just for my ham shack. CB uses the same type of cable. CB is just an 11 meter band designated Citizen Band by the fcc.

Search on amazon
SODIAL(R) 2-Pack PL-259 UHF Female to UHF Female Coax Cable

CablesOnline 2ft Premium Grade RG8x Coax UHF (PL259) Male to N-Type Male Antenna Cable

UHF PL259 Male Crimp Connector RG8/X LMR240 Nickel

RG/X is the cable type, RG 58 is another common type.

Mobyjeep
October 24th, 2018, 08:12 PM
This makes me sad

Jim
October 24th, 2018, 08:33 PM
<nevermind>

+1 What Tom said

Mobyjeep
October 24th, 2018, 08:48 PM
Thanks for dumbing that down for me. Will adding a union lessen my signal quality?

Tom
October 24th, 2018, 09:25 PM
Thanks for dumbing that down for me. Will adding a union lessen my signal quality?
It can a bit. Mainly just the strength a bit. Probably wouldn’t notice it. A poor or incorrect job of attaching the new pl259 would cause more issues than the union.

I would be happy to help you run a brand new cable if you want help. I have run three in my jk. Still have em all