PDA

View Full Version : Sat 11/10 or Sun 11/11

FINOCJ
November 7th, 2018, 08:32 AM
Just throwing out a feeler to see if anyone is interested in a run this weekend. The weather may be ok, or it might get snowy - especially on sunday. Nothing specific in mind, but thinking something like Ironclads/T33, China Wall, Eagle rock maybe - or if its going to be snowy then maybe something more appropriate for slipping and sliding. Open to ideas and suggestions...

Maverick1872
November 7th, 2018, 09:38 AM
I might be able to do something Sunday. Saturday is dedicated to a full detail of the rig and install of my tire carrier. Want to get her waxed before winter really sets in.

Mark Freeburg
November 7th, 2018, 09:51 AM
I’d be interested in Sunday if that ends up being the day.

FINOCJ
November 8th, 2018, 11:48 AM
I am not against some snow wheeling, but sat is definitely looking to be the better day weather wise....could also be a skiing weekend...

alanmikkelsen
November 8th, 2018, 03:42 PM
I'd be interested in Saturday. I was thinking about Hackett and Longwater but I'm up for anywhere someone might be heading.

Pgopinath
November 9th, 2018, 09:38 AM
i can do sunday if it is a trail that is within my limited skill level (i have only done 3s so far) and appropriate for my vehicle. My wife and I were thinking of trying Old Flowers but then i saw the snow forecast and the challenges of the icy hill and are rethinking it.

Prabha

Jim
November 9th, 2018, 10:47 AM
Assumption that the western end / the drop down to country road is what is listed as risky with ice/snow.

As of this post - I doubt there's any precip / ice on Old Flowers. Though if you do an east > west trip, turning around before the drop down and re-running the trail to get out is not unreasonable.

newracer
November 9th, 2018, 11:11 AM
At least the west side of Old Flowers has snow. I was up at Pingree Park on Tuesday and there was about 6" of fresh snow.

Pgopinath
November 9th, 2018, 04:08 PM
Looking at the topo of the western section there is only one area that looks like it would be a problem if there was snow on the ground; that would be the section leading up to FDR236 on the NW side of the trail. Approx 400' elevation gain over a half mile stretch. Looks like the trail goes up a gully and is shielded from the sun on the S side. As Jim suggested, if local conditions dictate I would just turn around.

FINOCJ
November 10th, 2018, 03:35 PM
I'd be interested in Saturday. I was thinking about Hackett and Longwater but I'm up for anywhere someone might be heading.

Alan - hope you got out today and had some fun. I don't mind 'the gulches' trails - but I think I have run them quite a lot so they aren't as much fun. That being said, I do like Metberry the best (even if in some way its the easiest), and the rock at Longwater is always interesting for my old carbureted cj. As they don't get too much snow in that area, they make good off season trail runs late into the fall and relatively early in the spring.

I went part chasing today instead - came up empty. Oh well....

alanmikkelsen
November 10th, 2018, 04:11 PM
James, I didn't get out either. Finished cleaning up some wiring/electrical on the TJ. I did Metberry earlier this year and would like to do the other two to check them off the Gulches list, so maybe sometime this winter...