PDA

View Full Version : Ice Racing/Driving - Georgetown

goSlo
December 17th, 2018, 06:18 AM
Anyone been down to the Ice Racing events on Georgetown lake?

It looks like they are getting ready for their first one in a couple of weeks. All the races are head to head but each vehicle is on opposite sides of the track.

Sure seems like it would be a ton of fun for $25.

http://ourgangiceracing.com

open_circuit
December 17th, 2018, 07:41 AM
I've heard about it, but haven't been yet. Would be interesting.

Spieg
December 17th, 2018, 08:04 AM
Years ago I had a CJ5 built for the ice. It's a ton of fun although it is chilly.

goSlo
December 17th, 2018, 09:13 AM
I can already see my wife's face when I say...

"Babe, I need some money for new 'ice racing' tires."

Jim
December 17th, 2018, 09:46 AM
I can already see my wife's face when I say...

"Babe, I need some money for new 'ice racing' tires."

naw, you'll just "borrow" the new - deep tread - snow tires you bought for her car this winter to wood-screw-stud'm - on the cheap. You're "saving money" swapping those snow tires. It's the "better" use of those new tires - honest. :lmao:

open_circuit
December 17th, 2018, 09:50 AM
A jeep would look funny with some ~24" tires on it! No way I could ever fit 30"+ tires on my wife's vehicle.

JandDGreens
December 17th, 2018, 10:30 AM
We went just to watch about 6 years ago, no charge it’s pretty ineresting just hanging out. I think you need studded tires to go out on the ice

Spieg
December 17th, 2018, 01:59 PM
You can definitely spend some cash on nice tires, but i always ran used/junkyard tires with home made spikes (bolts with sharpened tips). They also have races for street tires although speeds are pretty slow.

open_circuit
December 17th, 2018, 02:13 PM
If you make studded tires out of junkyard / used tires, do you have to use sealant inside the tire around the studs? The idea is basically to stick a spike through the tire from the inside, so you could end up with leaks at every stud location?

Spieg
December 17th, 2018, 02:26 PM
Yes, big washers and lots of rubber cement. They'd hold air for a day of racing but not much more.