PDA

View Full Version : TRANSFER CASE HELP! Think it's time for an Atlas

JPSCRAWLER
March 3rd, 2019, 08:08 PM
Unfortunately I believe I killed my teralow 231 today. Time to upgrade. I started at the Advanced adapters site and all the forums I could find, reading til my head spun. Has anyone here installed one in a tj? I have a 97 TJ, 4.0, AX15, D50 front w/4.88s ARB, 14 bolt rear welded and 40s. I knew eventually I'd kill the 4-1 kit snow wheeling and finally did. Thought about a rubi-case swap but for a grand or two more think it makes sense to go for an atlas and be done with t-case issues. If anyone has any advice or opinions I am very open to both. Rubi or atlas ? 2 speed or 4 speed? Deal with AA direct or a supplier? Any place that would finance purchase and install :D? Northridge? Highcountry? Advice on who to trust? Thanks in advance for any help at all!!

newracer
March 3rd, 2019, 08:26 PM
A Rubi case will basically bolt right in and you won't have to get new driveshafts. Pretty sure with an Atlas you will need new driveshafts for the front and rear. Also the Atlas will take some fab work. If you go with an Atlas, since you have a manual I'd vote for the 4 speed.

JPSCRAWLER
March 3rd, 2019, 08:40 PM
Thanks! Do you know what year rubi-case would be best? Rumored I'd need to clearance the tub or drop T-case, change slave cylinder and T-case yolks to non flanged? Any truth?

JPSCRAWLER
March 3rd, 2019, 08:43 PM
Absolutely love the Rock ware rig by the way!!! Been looking forward to the opportunity to wheel with ya.

newracer
March 3rd, 2019, 09:03 PM
Pretty sure they are all the same from '03 to '06 (TJ Rubicon years). I don't know specifics on spline count and yolks. I am sure someone on the interweb has a good write up. I don't think you would need to drop the case or clearance the tub, a Rubi case is a 241 which isn't much different in size to a 231. If you do have to clearance the tub I don't think it would be much.

Thanks for the compliment, my rig is still broke right now but should be up an going in the next two weeks.