PDA

View Full Version : winch lines

UncleDon
March 26th, 2019, 03:24 PM
If this is a redundant topic, I apologize. I am near to getting a winch for my rig and am trying to decide on lines:
wire cable or rope. A salesman told me you have to replace the rope ones every year, so I am asking for feedback from actual users and not just sales talk. pros and cons so what say you? Thanks, Don

newracer
March 26th, 2019, 03:39 PM
That salesman is an idiot. As long as you keep it clean and dry synthetic line will last a long time. I had one on my TJ that was about 10 years old and just getting to the point of needing replaced. They are cheap enough now that IMO there is no reason to not use synthetic.

Spieg
March 26th, 2019, 03:45 PM
Warn does recommend replacing their synthetic rope once a year but I suspect that is their legal team talking more than a functional limitation. I've seen people use some pretty rotten looking synthetic for years without problem, but YMMV.

I just switched to synthetic ($100 cheap stuff off Amazon) about a year ago and so far so good. I think UV exposure is the worst thing for a rope so you want to keep it covered from the sun when not in use.

Tom
March 26th, 2019, 04:44 PM
I used to rock climb. Climbing ropes at the time should be replaced every 1.5 years mainly due to UV rays. I would certainly think if the winch was always covered when not in use, one could use it more than a year.

dieseldoc
March 26th, 2019, 04:52 PM
Anyone seeking to replace there synthetic rope.....
Denver wire and rope is now carring them!

Shoot me a PM and I will get you my sales man's number

UncleDon
March 29th, 2019, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the replies. I am thinking synthetic. Worked for years with steel cables in the oil patch and didn't/don't like them.
Now all I have to do is pay my D....d taxes so I can afford the winch. Thanks guys.

Eagle6
March 30th, 2019, 06:12 PM
Steel vs synthetic the ever ongoing debate. My opinion is this. Depends upon the environment you are in and how often you think that you might be actually using it.

If you live in a wet environment, I like synthetic more. Take care of it and let it dry out and it is wonderful.
If you live in a dirty, dusty, sandy environment, I like steel more.