PDA

View Full Version : Adopt a Trail program

FINOCJ
April 2nd, 2019, 09:21 AM
Hi all - was contacted by Brant Wobig (our USFS contact for Adopt-a-trail). They have begun thinking and preparing for summer maintenance. Thought I would pass along some of his comments (this was sent out to all adopting clubs - so the 1600 hours is total for all, not just FR4x4):

Also, let me know of any project ideas(or needs)you have for this season, we can discuss. Together we can come up with a list. I have some money for Volunteer support(through State OHV money) so let me know if you have any specific needs. Unfortunately, I can’t buy donuts and beer for events with this money but I can buy some supplies.
Last year, you all contributed approx. 1600 hrs of Adopt-a-road volunteer time on CCRD. I would love to increase that this year so let’s see what we can do.
In other news…I will have a completely new OHV crew this year so they will take some training and prep, on my part, to get them up to speed to working with you all and knowing their way around. They don’t start until Mid-May so my time with them is short before the season is in full swing.

Mostly, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or needs for our two adopted trails (DC and BF). Nothing comes to my mind as immediately necessary - but clarifying or marking the appropriate legal trail based on the MVUM in DC might be an idea. Mostly, I am thinking of the one steep section that connects the upper section to the lower bench and loop that is well used and established, but not on the MVUM....guessing any attention to it would result in its closure. In previous years and discussions with Brant, he hasn't had many concerns about either DC or BF - just appreciates our efforts to keep it clean from camping and shooting usage.

I would expect that we will do our 2 official clean-ups much like last year - one in mid-July after the holiday and one in Sept before closure. I will ask about members going in early (or right around opening) with his crew to check things out.

thanks!

Jim
April 2nd, 2019, 10:54 AM
Nothing that comes to my mind.

What would it take to have that useful and well used track put onto the MVUM?

If they'd like someone to visit early who can clear deadfall I'd be available. Weekdays too.

FINOCJ
April 2nd, 2019, 12:38 PM
What would it take to have that useful and well used track put onto the MVUM?

That is kind of what I would like to see....but... in previous discussions, Brant implied they are under pressure and/or requirement to reduce the number of FS road miles in many areas...so closure might be more likely than getting it added. My interpretation of his comments was that as long as its well defined and its not an erosion issue, and it doesn't promote new illegal roads, that he is okay with it just being there. Erosion could be a concern - but its not too bad...certainly I think its worth asking about again.

Jackie
April 2nd, 2019, 06:02 PM
Sounds like it might be best to not mention it. It would be a shame to risk a closure. (2 cents).