PDA

View Full Version : Forum test - Admin email to membership of upcoming run(s)

Jim
April 28th, 2019, 07:31 PM
I'm thinking of sending out e-mail notification to all forum registered members when a run is either listed on the calendar or when a thought for a run is started in "Planning".

The reason for this thread is two-fold. First, to announce that I'm looking to test the function with a goal of increasing activity and second to have discussion as to when to send the message - when a "Planning" thread is started or wait until a solid run is listed on the calendar and in "Planned". What are your thoughts?

open_circuit
April 28th, 2019, 07:36 PM
I check the "new posts" just about daily here, so I am not sure the e-mails would provide any extra utility for me. An option to disable them would be nice. If you are going to send them, maybe on the "planned" runs post instead of "planning" to filter out some of the noise of runs that never happen.

Of course, your goal is to increase participation and activity, so sending e-mails on the "planning" post might increase the number of runs that actually form. Tough call.

Jim
April 28th, 2019, 07:41 PM
so sending e-mails on the "planning" post might increase the number of runs that actually form.

You understand - the debate.

You/each member might be able to disable the notification - depending upon how it is sent. Regardless, the e-mail "amount" I expect to be rather low - only one notification when a run reaches a point where a notification would be sent.

I could also use a standard subject line where if any recipient wished to filter e-mails with a subject starting with, that'd be an option for each recipient too.

FR4x4 Upcoming Trail Run: [name] [date]
FR4x4 Upcoming Trail Run: Pole Hill, Sat, June 1

Tom
April 28th, 2019, 07:46 PM
I too check new posts daily. Actually several times a day so I don’t personally have a need. That said, I would think sending when a run has been put on the schedule would be best. I don’t have a real strong position either way though.

Jim
April 28th, 2019, 07:47 PM
Out of curiosity I looked at 2018's calendar listings. Unique runs (not multi-day Moab entries - only one count). This won't be any e-mail flood. January surprised me with five runs though.

Month & # of runs
01 - 5
02 - 4
03 - 4
04 - 4
05 - 3
06 - 6
07 - 6
08 - 5
09 - 6
10 - 5
11 - 2
12 - 2

Java
April 28th, 2019, 07:50 PM
Good idea, Jim, thank you.

I'd lean towards runs that are posted. Not every run gets both a planning and a planned thread, although I guess they probably should.

FINOCJ
April 28th, 2019, 07:54 PM
Out of curiosity I looked at 2018's calendar listings. Unique runs (not multi-day Moab entries - only one count). This won't be any e-mail flood. January surprised me with five runs though.

Month & # of runs
01 - 5
02 - 4
03 - 4
04 - 4
05 - 3
06 - 6
07 - 6
08 - 5
09 - 6
10 - 5
11 - 2
12 - 2

was a warm Jan last year with very little snow...I think quite a few (including myself once) went to the gulches a number of times. Overall, its basically a run every weekend. Though nothing wrong with multiple run choices every weekend (actually even better). My vote is emails to notify members when a run is posted on the calendar...

Brian
April 28th, 2019, 08:20 PM
Sounds good Jim! I can't think of a down side to an email notification. I guess I'd lean linking the email notification to a planned run.

Jim
August 9th, 2019, 06:59 PM
I'm looking back, seat of the pants - no hard "research", and I'm thinking that the e-mail notices have not made a noticeable increase in run attendance.

I'm thinking of not bothering to send out a notice when a run get on the calendar.

What are your thoughts?

open_circuit
August 9th, 2019, 07:57 PM
I think the e-mails were very effective in the early part of this season. I'm not sure if they have affected turnout later in the season. I haven't asked about this lately, though

Max
August 10th, 2019, 07:52 PM
I like them. Are you doing it manually each time?

Jim
August 10th, 2019, 08:21 PM
Yep. When I see something hit the calendar I log into the admin page and open my Excel workbook with the "form". Copy paste the form into the "Send e-mail to all registered users" process. Edit the date and run name and edit the two URL's (Planned thread and calendar). Send. Not overly difficult. It's just that I don't see any change in the numbers of folks attending runs (and I'm not seeing new names on runs).

In total, two to four minutes - no big deal / I'd keep doing it if it was getting more folks involved.

The StRanger
August 10th, 2019, 09:43 PM
I check in almost every night (welcome in the new folks)
its been a weird year for me, every run I want, I’m out of town and when I’m in town I got other things I need to do or I’m workin.
i am gonna make the end of season clean up run.

Java
August 12th, 2019, 07:45 AM
Usually by the time I get the email I already know about the run. I do appreciate them, but either way is fine with me.

Tom
August 12th, 2019, 04:44 PM
Usually by the time I get the email I already know about the run. I do appreciate them, but either way is fine with me.
Ditto.