PDA

View Full Version : Battery Recommendations

FINOCJ
May 20th, 2019, 10:05 AM
Looking for good dual purpose battery recommendations - this would be both high in CCA and take some deep(er) cycling abuse running a winch. Traditionally, the yellow top Optima was the go to battery for this, but seems like Optima quality is becoming more questionable. What are some other good options - I am open to both wet/flooded or AGM style batteries. Anyone have any experience with Northstar or Odyssey batteries?

TDash
May 20th, 2019, 11:13 AM
from a high end car audio perspective these companies have good reps at the moment

https://4xspower.com/ (XS)
https://www.northstarbattery.com (https://www.northstarbattery.com/) (Northstar)
http://www.eastpennmanufacturing.com/ (Deka)

That said I bought an optima yellow top a few months ago not realizing the quality had changed recently, no problems so far but we'll see how quick it dies. My audio system isn't crazy (only 750W) but I plan on getting my new big winch installed soon and thought the deep cycle would help

Spieg
May 20th, 2019, 11:47 AM
Odyssey is probably the best battery made but also one of the most expensive ($300 batteries are not in my budget). A knowledgeable friend recommended I try a Bosch Platinum a few years ago after Optima became a bad word. So far the Bosch has been an excellent battery (4 year replacement warranty AGM battery with 750 CCA for just a little over $125 at the time was hard to beat)

FINOCJ
May 20th, 2019, 12:18 PM
new big winch installed

yup...big is the operative word for you truck! thanks for the info on other batteries.

newracer
May 20th, 2019, 01:13 PM
I have found that the best bang for the buck are the Duracell AGM batteries at Sam's club. Another good one is the X2 Power at Batteries Plus, there is always an online coupon.

FINOCJ
May 20th, 2019, 02:03 PM
Its hard to get info on the deep cycle capability of some of the less common automotive batteries...An OEM battery for my old cj would have come with 300 CCA - which is kind of sad. I currently run a modern wet battery with somewhere around 750 CCA from FLAPS - which is plenty. And my jeep does not have much electrical load - it originally had an externally regulated 30A alternator. I've ugraded to an internally regulated 55-60A alternator - mostly for some of the electrical add-on I have such as the second heater fan, heated seats, USB charger, electric locker etc...Should still cover the needed electrical without too much concern, but the combination of a lots of starting (due to carb issues and stick shift killing the engine when the driver itsn't up to the task) and winching can be rough on it. As much as i would love a Odyssey or Northstar dual usage battery, I suspect any quality AGM should work pretty well with my set-up for a much better cost... I also prefer a battery that is common enough that I can get it warrantied and replaced immediately in store, on shelf, just about anywhere - thus batteries from the common FLAPS are attractive. Interestingly enough, Odyssey batteries are sold through Autozone - which while common - they don't actually carry them on the shelf, so there will always be a waiting period - no so good when on the road.

TDash
May 20th, 2019, 05:21 PM
yup...big is the operative word for you truck! thanks for the info on other batteries.

hehe yeah I went with the warn ZEON Platinum 12-S cause I got some spiffs from work so it was free, sitting in my garage now. Just need some extra money to get the bumper I have my eye on before I can attach it to the rig

willo
June 10th, 2019, 05:24 PM
I've decided to give the Duracell AGMs from Sams Club a go. For dual purpose they have a RV battery for $120. I picked up a Group 34R for my 4runner this weekend. It's lighter than the optimas I've used before and has a decent warranty. Batteries plus sells the same ones if you want easier service access.

dieseldoc
June 10th, 2019, 07:37 PM
Call the folks at Walters auto and battery supply. Great prices on new and referbushed. They have the AGM deep cycles and the other type of deep cycles.