PDA

View Full Version : Need thoughts or suggestions

4Runninfun
June 30th, 2008, 02:21 PM
alright my girlfriend has a 1995.5 GMC Jimmy 4.3l with an auto tranny. and we're having some issues with it. Worst part is they are intermittent problems. First off when she gets in and turns the key everything comes on but the starter doesn't go. There is no clicking to indicate a typical starter failure. it only happens every now and then. thoughts? second the stupid thing is flooding itself, when you go to start it. I went and pulled the codes today and this is what i got...

P0172
system too rich (bank 1)

P0753
shift solenoid A
circuit electrical

P0758
shift solenoid B
circuit electrical

P1351
manfacurer control
ignition system of misfire

P1864
manfacurer control transmission

P1886
Manfacurer contrl transmission.

anyone have any thoughts?

Patrolman
June 30th, 2008, 02:25 PM
alright my girlfriend has a 1995.5 GMC Jimmy 4.3l with an auto tranny. and we're having some issues with it. Worst part is they are intermittent problems. First off when she gets in and turns the key everything comes on but the starter doesn't go. There is no clicking to indicate a typical starter failure. it only happens every now and then. thoughts? second the stupid thing is flooding itself, when you go to start it. I went and pulled the codes today and this is what i got...

P0172
system too rich (bank 1)

P0753
shift solenoid A
circuit electrical

P0758
shift solenoid B
circuit electrical

P1351
manfacurer control
ignition system of misfire

P1864
manfacurer control transmission

P1886
Manfacurer contrl transmission.

anyone have any thoughts?

Get a Toyota? JK.

Is there a way to reset all the codes? Oftentimes there are old codes stored that are not relevant to the current problems. I would clear everything and check to make sure there are no codes. Then as it begins to have problems, check the codes immediately.

Funrover
June 30th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Here is my suggestion 2 parts

part 1: The equipment

5 gallons of gas
matches

Part 2: Action
Pour gas inside
lite match and throw inside truck
RUN and watch

You have had a lot of issues with it, it might be time. I know she really likes it but...

Patrolman
June 30th, 2008, 04:02 PM
It is insured, right?!

Brody
June 30th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Here are a couple:

Try disconnecting the battery cables for at least 10 minutes. The reconnect them . This sometimes resets the ECU.

On Toyotas and some other vehicles, you can pull the EFI relay and then replace it. This also resets the ECU. Leave it out for about 10 minutes.

Try to pull the codes up on a google search for the year and make of the rig. Chances are that someone else has experienced the same problems and has done a post as to both the codes and the fix.

Go to the Chevy S-10 site or one of the Chevy/GM sites I posted and see if you can find anything there.

Call a local dealer (or go down there) and speak to the service manager. Chevy has been losing so much money that they will probably bend over to help you if you promise to keep the GM product and not switch brands.

Check all your electrical fittings to your main fuse box. Check the plug ins to your ECU. Buy some specific 'electrical parts cleaner' and some dielectric grease. Clean EVERYTHING off with the cleaner and reassemble using the dielectric grease on EVERYTHING.

Check all your ground wires and make sure they are sound.

Get some MAF cleaner and spray down your MAF sensor.

Get some throttle body cleaner and clean out you throttle body.

Take off and clean your O2 sensors with carb or MAF cleaner and reassemble.

Chances are, that with all the error codes, it is either electrical (as in connection) or an ECU that is going bad.

Hope that this helps...don't shoot it yet..

Pathrat
June 30th, 2008, 09:59 PM
I like Funrover's suggeston, a lot. (LMAO really) It is so much less complicated and labor-intensive than Brody's solution.

4Runninfun
July 1st, 2008, 10:03 AM
as soon as she's out of school and has a "real" job we're going to look into replacing it, but for right now it has to last, and yes a toyota is a good possibility 01-04 x-cab pickup. but i didn't have any influence on that i swear!;)

brody thanks for the thoughts definitely a good place to start. i'm really hoping it's not the ECU. those are usually expensive buggers!

bskey
July 2nd, 2008, 10:41 AM
I agree with Brody. I would start with the MAF, then reset the ECU and repull the codes. I had a buddy that had some really random codes throwing on a brand new car and it turned out that a spider crawled onto his MAF and dried up on it.... car wouldn't even start. Maybe run some BG or SeaFoam through it.