PDA

View Full Version : Poison Spider

Pathrat
June 30th, 2008, 10:22 PM
I got in in my head quite a few months ago that I wanted to do Poison Spider. Whether I could or should did enter my decision making process. However, in the end, the logic I like to think I rely upon to guide my actions lost out to the rash Wanna GO DO IT coolness factor of getting up on that trail. I expect to get chastised for doing doing it without company, and everyone would be correct.
I watched a Cherokee with more clearance, armor and other sweet stuff break a driveshaft, shoot a sensor out the back end and wham the transmission. The Cherokee was in the hands of the son of the rig's owner. Dad was busy yelling for his kid to gun it up. He gunned, killed and whacked down hard on a rock strategically placed underneath.
I was more careful, except for heading down the Wedgie. I had no business being on that. Thanks, Hugh, for pushing the FJC away from the rock. It was difficult and time consuming. We made it to the Whoop-di-do's before we had to turn around to start heading back into Denver.
I didn't break anything but I did test the control arm skid plates Brody mounted up. They held and pictures will follow in that thread.
I would like to go back, with other rigs, and finish the thing.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x102/pathrat40/Moab62008/DSC01692.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x102/pathrat40/Moab62008/DSC01691.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x102/pathrat40/Moab62008/DSC01680.jpg

Pathrat
June 30th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Here is the Cherokee that mashed his driveshaft on the Waterfall.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x102/pathrat40/Moab62008/DSC01677.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x102/pathrat40/Moab62008/DSC01675.jpg

I had to hook my foot up onto the footwell to get back in the truck.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x102/pathrat40/Moab62008/DSC01690.jpg

Funrover
July 1st, 2008, 11:28 AM
I really want to do that trail!

Pathrat
July 1st, 2008, 12:59 PM
Congrats on running it, if you got past the Wedge you basically completed PSM unless you wanted to do the loop up past High Speed Mesa. Next stop: PSM/Golden Spike/Gold Bar Rim loop with FR4x4 :lol::smokin::clap:

Seriously, you should be realizing that you can do all the stuff in Moab below the harder core 4+ level with your FJC at it's current build level. Pretty cool, huh? :thunb:

Thanks, but I got lucky on the Wedge. I did not take the correct line and I really should have gone UP the Wedge instead of down it. I slid down and could barely turn my front wheels. I was just waiting to blow a bead on that obstacle, then I would have been mostly screwed. Of course, scraping off parts on the leaning side would have not been any bonus either. Rebukes to myself aside, there is a sense of accomplishment that goes with even the partial running of this trail. As Brody has said, this FJC of mine is capable.

Also, thank you for adding your pictures. They look great. We are still working on getting the photos of the wheeling to reflect the difficulty of the trail.

Pathrat
July 1st, 2008, 02:13 PM
Well, the Wedge is more fun going up, but partial screwups that don't end in damage are really the only way you cut your teeth without also banging your head.

I hate the fact that wheeling pics never seem to show what you see with your own eyes. The Waterfall is way steeper than it looks, I was barking the big dogs dual locked on that line and it looks like a walk in the park in my pic (which it was, but as the XJ showed, unlocked on that line you can bounce and break in a hurry).

It's fun to take four kids on that stuff. As my little girl said (3 yr old) at one point on Spike, "this is disgusting!" :D

I do see the merits of your first statement.

No kidding! The picture you posted going up the Waterfall looks like a slope, big deal, as does the one I posted with the caption mentioning I had a hard time getting back into the truck (rock sliders at shoulder height!). Even the one of the Cherokee with the wheel in the air makes it look like he is just goofing off and not really seriously trying to climb.

My kids have been losing the enthusiasm for going off-road, but my son's flagging interest was revived when he heard the stories and watched the pictures. I have no idea how you took little kids on those trails. :)

Pathrat
July 2nd, 2008, 12:53 PM
If anyone wants to see, I posted the 'after' pictures of the CA plates in the thread, "lookit what Brody did" in the Builds section.

Chris
July 2nd, 2008, 01:57 PM
I got in in my head quite a few months ago that I wanted to do Poison Spider.

Way to go! :thunb:

Fins & Things then Poison Spider, you're more courageous than me, that wedge intimidates me to the point of avoidance!

Admin is not ready for PS :lol:

Pathrat
July 2nd, 2008, 03:27 PM
Way to go! :thunb:

Fins & Things then Poison Spider, you're more courageous than me, that wedge intimidates me to the point of avoidance!

Admin is not ready for PS :lol:

NOT! what is this, do what I say not what I do??? :lol:

I should not have been on the Wedge, and when we all go out, you are running point!

Chris
July 2nd, 2008, 03:45 PM
NOT! what is this, do what I say not what I do??? :lol:

I never said I thought you were ready for PS! :tsk:

I should not have been on the Wedge, and when we all go out, you are running point!

Running point on foot sounds good! :o

Pathrat
July 2nd, 2008, 09:42 PM
I never said I thought you were ready for PS! :tsk:

Running point on foot sounds good! :o

OH OH OH! Look at our site icon! Upper left corner! You do that and you aren't ready for PSM? You are a rockin driver with a great rig, therefore, you are ready. :thunb: Let's not do the Darth Vader 'now I am the master' thing. ;)

Chris
July 3rd, 2008, 06:28 AM
Such pressure! Maybe I'll do PSM Friday :D

Pathrat
July 7th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I do miss having the little kids sometimes. I love that, "daddy doesn't want to die either". I have not had to use the mommy form of that line.

One of my favorites is watching them see how far they can go up a slickrock wall, then take pictures of perched kids. We did that on PSM and at Tower Arch. Good times, man, good times.

Maybe we should time-share a trailer. ;)