PDA

View Full Version : 7/20 Adopt a Road Clean-up Run

FINOCJ
June 18th, 2019, 12:55 PM
DATE: Saturday, July 20, 2019.

TIME: 9 AM

PLACE: Idaho Springs Ranger Station, 101 CO-103, Idaho Springs, CO 80452. This is the southwest corner of the intersection of I-70 & CO-103 (the Mount Evans road)

REQUIREMENTS: Closed toe shoes. Gloves.

RECOMMENDED: Long pants. An easy to carry container (small bucket) to hold small stuff (trigger trash, glass bits). A larger trash bag to empty the small container between stops. Please bring your own water and food/lunch and standard other 4 wheeling items.

We'll meet at the ranger station parking lot. Sign the waiver form with the forest service. Receive instruction from the forest service. Divide into groups (Devil's Canyon or Barbour Fork). Visit the trails and enjoy a good social day of making the forest a cleaner place.

Please sign-up here: http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=1013&day=2019-7-20

alanmikkelsen
June 18th, 2019, 01:18 PM
I'm bummed I won't be able to make it, will be in Montana that weekend. Good luck and be safe!

JGRubicon
June 18th, 2019, 04:04 PM
My niece and sister will be in town, I'll have to ask if they are interested. Extra hands would be nice.

Welcome to Colorado, first things first, help clean it up.

Jackie
June 18th, 2019, 05:15 PM
I might be able to go again this year. We're trying to plan a trip to Cabo, but haven't picked exact dates yet.

The StRanger
June 18th, 2019, 10:11 PM
I’d love to make it but all my weekends are tied up till at least the end of July.

TDash
June 19th, 2019, 08:44 AM
i can't make this one, will there be another cleanup this year?

open_circuit
June 19th, 2019, 09:16 AM
i can't make this one, will there be another cleanup this year?

We have two cleanup runs each year. In the past, the runs were typically early in the season (Early/Mid June) and then again around 4th of July or mid July. I think this year we are doing mid-July and late-season instead. James is the guy with the best information.

FINOCJ
June 19th, 2019, 10:20 AM
Yes...our agreement with USFS requires two clean up for each trail. Per discussion with the USFS we have shifted our clean ups to mid July after the heavy use 7/4 weekend, and again at the end of usage season in mid Sept/Oct.

Jake
June 20th, 2019, 07:18 AM
I'd be happy to come and bring my son. My vehicle is a stock f150. Can I make it on these trails? Trailsoffroad seems to imply Devil's canyon would be the better bet if possible?

FINOCJ
June 20th, 2019, 07:23 AM
You would have no problem on devils canyon with stock f150...guessing you would be fine on Barbour as well but DC would be perfect.

Jake
June 20th, 2019, 08:11 AM
Great to hear. Just realized it's my other son's 1 yr birthday, so hopefully the wife will let us get out. I think it'd be a great family outing, but we'll see. Thanks.

MillerL76
June 20th, 2019, 11:31 PM
Its my dads birthday but ill see if i can convince him to cone with

FINOCJ
July 9th, 2019, 12:08 PM
Just checking in for this thread...current sign-ups look good so thanks to all that are helping. I do not believe there is anything else that needs to be done paperwork wise or logistically with the USFS at this point, other than the standard pre-run meeting and release forms at the USFS office on Sat 7/20 morning before the run. There is no sign-up paperwork that we need to bring - the USFS will have those on Sat morning for everyone. It usually helps to have a couple staple guns to post signs etc...I usually bring one and so does Jim. As I won't be there, maybe someone else can bring one. I will be heading out of town on Thurs, but should have mobile access to communicate any info between FR4x4 and the USFS. thanks again to all that are helping....look forward to seeing the run report....and will be in contact with the USFS for planning our end of season clean-up in the fall. THANKS!

Swank1975
July 16th, 2019, 05:01 PM
Can't wait

Blackjeep
July 17th, 2019, 08:05 AM
I'm tentatively planning to participate.

Tom
July 17th, 2019, 06:01 PM
I'm tentatively planning to participate.
Don’t forget to add your name to the calendar so we know to wait.
http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&day=2019-7-20&e=1013&c=1

TyTheJeepGuy
July 18th, 2019, 09:17 AM
Hello,

Would it be possible to try and meet up with y'all at Barbour Forks sometime around noon? I have a prior commitment in Idaho Springs but can shoot out to the trail after. Maybe I can find the waiver online?

-Ty

Fatkids
July 19th, 2019, 05:07 PM
Is the clean up an all day adventure? If not is there anyone going out on any other trails after or anything else going on?

Tom
July 19th, 2019, 05:10 PM
Is the clean up an all day adventure? If not is there anyone going out on any other trails after or anything else going on?
Pretty much all day but typically there is a group that heads over to the other cleanup trail that they didn’t do.

we break up into two groups, babour, and devils. Then if you worked cleanup on devils some would go over and run barbour. Hope thats not as clear as mud.

Jim
July 19th, 2019, 05:33 PM
Would it be possible to try and meet up with y'all at Barbour Forks sometime around noon?

Once folks set out on the trail they stay on trail until the cleanup is done. Cleanup's typically have the group traveling the trail to places (shooting spots / campsites) where people spend time (and leave trash behind). The group stops at the target shooting spots and campsites and walk around picking up trash. Then when that spot is done the group moves on to the next spot.

If you get there later, just hit one of the trails and there's a decent chance you'll come across the group at one of the stops.

Sometimes, with a large group. Each trail might get two sub-groups with one group traveling clockwise on a trail and the other half for that trail traveling counterclockwise. With 11 RSVP Yes's, one trail would have 6 vehicles and the other 5 vehicles. With that many, each trail may well split in two again for two sub groups traveling each trail to meet somewhere.

Jim
July 19th, 2019, 05:40 PM
I received word from James that Brant won't be meeting us in the morning (He's on assignment in Fort Collins). James is to forward the forms (he received from Brant) to me for us to tend at the morning meeting. (edit - forms are printed and are in the jeep)

I'll bring one stapler with extra staples (though I don't know if we'll have any sign to put up). If someone else wishes to bring a stapler, we'd have one for each trail - should signage need to be tended.

As Brant won't be there with extra (and extra huge) trash bags - make sure you bring an extra bag or two.

Handy for cleanup runs:

- A small bucket to carry around each cleanup site (to put junk into - it'll get emptied into your larger trash bag back at your 4x4)
- Gloves
- A hat for the sun
- Long sleeves / long pants (your call)
- Closed toe'd shoes (I think this is a Forest Service requirement)

- Hand wipes (I have many with me - if you end up on the trail I'm on)
- Water
- Lunch / on-trail food

Closest toilet - Idaho Springs - one of the gas stations (I think the visitor center toilets might still be closed)

Nate3265
July 20th, 2019, 08:16 AM
I'm not going to make it today. I'm not felling well