PDA

View Full Version : Summer trail openings near Idaho Springs

open_circuit
July 11th, 2019, 08:06 AM
Last Saturday, two of the rangers from the Idaho Springs ranger station were set up in the OHV parking area where we aired down to distribute maps, swag, and provide a general presence. I spoke with these guys for a few minutes about area trails, asking about snowpack and accessibility. A few things I was told that you may be interested in:

1) The western gate for Kingston Peak should open on July 15. This is the gate that is accessible from Alice / St Mary's area. The other path will be impassable for a while with snowpack, as I understand.

2) It sounds like much of Bill Moore lake is passable, but as of ~10 days ago, the rangers were not able to get all the way to the lake on their 4-wheel ATVs. They said folks were able to park and hike the last snowy stretch, however.

3) They confirmed much of Pickle Gulch is clear and passable, at least in their ranger district. It sounds like they went to the top recently and then continued west and were able to complete the through route without issues. They had no status on Moon or Gamble gulches, but those are not within their district.

I did not bother asking about Argentine Pass, though I'm interested in whether this will be passable this summer. I'm holding out hope for August on this one, though I may be naive.

They were aware of our cleanup run on the 20th and gave my wife the ranger cell phone number that they carry, in case we need support on the trails, trash bags, etc. I'll have to get it from her and post it later.