PDA

View Full Version : All-Electric F-150 Prototype: Tows 1 Million+ Pounds

Java
July 23rd, 2019, 04:56 PM
Can't wait to see the numbers on the production model. As I understand it Ford will only be making SUVs and trucks, and only electric ones going forward. the world is changing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXFHgoon7lg

ColoJeeper
July 24th, 2019, 10:23 AM
Truck looks pretty impressive, but I am far more impressed by that towstrap that handled the towing duties...

Jim
July 24th, 2019, 01:39 PM
They get up, above, crawl speed - wonder how well the train cars came to a stop. Let'm roll to a stop? Have a vehicle at the other end with brakes?

FINOCJ
July 25th, 2019, 12:48 PM
Other than the front headlight styling...I really like some of this Rivian...as always, I wish it came with just a 2 door with longer bed...especially with the front end truck, there is less need for inside storage (unless that would be people of course).

https://youtu.be/r6bAx-Es7c8

Swank1975
July 25th, 2019, 03:19 PM
Well **** let's just put a train on a mag lev system and make it float. I could pull 1,000,000lbs by hand. LOL

speedkills
July 26th, 2019, 09:50 AM
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ebHLKahLyx4/hqdefault.jpg

open_circuit
July 26th, 2019, 10:04 AM
The Rivian RT1 had my attention up until the "69 thousand" starting price comment.

FINOCJ
July 26th, 2019, 02:55 PM
The Rivian RT1 had my attention up until the "69 thousand" starting price comment.

True...and I think the starting price was more like 100 mile range whereas the high end models are closer to 400 mile range (and guessing another 10-20k more?). Still, a loaded Tacoma is 45k today, and a jeep gladiator rubicon is very close to 50k - so I'd say its not totally unreasonable for someone who values being on the front edge of technology with a bit of money to spend (not to mention some sort of tax credit). We are looking at replacing my wife's Ponitac Vibe this year, and all electric interests me especially for my daily commute, but given we do lots of cross-country driving all across the western states, not sure we are ready to make that jump just yet. But if in a few more years, when I am ready to replace my Taco, the prices come down and there is more infrastructure support for charging stations etc....besides, I make up for any reduced fossil fuel usage and carbon emissions just by starting up the old cj...

Java
July 27th, 2019, 08:21 AM
Electric Wrangler comes out next year, I'm sure electric Gladiator will be part of that. I'd guess that within 5-10 years you won't be able to buy a gas or diesel vehicle for non-commercial use. I'd imagine gas vehicle resale values will be tanking at the same time...

Spieg
July 27th, 2019, 04:11 PM
Electric Wrangler comes out next year, I'm sure electric Gladiator will be part of that. I'd guess that within 5-10 years you won't be able to buy a gas or diesel vehicle for non-commercial use. I'd imagine gas vehicle resale values will be tanking at the same time...

Bring on the electric motor retro-fit kits!

Seriously though, I think it will be considerably more than 10 years before we see the end of gas powered vehicles. Until the industry decides on a few standards for battery size/form-factor (so as to be exchangeable on the road), or pretty significant improvements in battery capacity/charge speed are invented, electric will not be suitable for lengthy road trips. I typically drive 800-1000 miles a day when driving cross country (even with a 400 mile range, that would require 2-3 full charges in a day... that's a lot of time wasted sitting at a charging station).

Java
July 27th, 2019, 05:57 PM
800-1000 miles a day is not typical, but it is impressive. :thumb: the average commute is 16 miles each way according to one thing I just saw on google, fwiw. I guess time will tell...

I'm ready to convert my LJ as soon as the kits start coming out.

Spieg
July 27th, 2019, 10:53 PM
I did say typical cross country road trip not typical commute (my daily commute is about 5 miles... I could probably do that on a scooter). I think the longest day I've done was Port Angeles to Denver (about 1,400 miles) in about 21 hours (stopped only for gas and fast food). I used to date a girl in Albuquerque and would make the 900 mi round trip a couple times a month. When I was in school my friends and I would drive Denver to Vegas in one day all the time. Any of these trips would be a PITA if I had to charge the battery along the way.

If I had the luxury of owning multiple vehicles, then an electric commuter car becomes much more appealing (if the second vehicle is capable of greater). Since most people only have one vehicle, they'll want something that will be able to function for both scenarios.

As I said, standardized batteries that can be swapped out on the road would resolve that problem, but the automotive manufacturers don't seem to be interested in that yet (and may never be).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngS7cPEiI8A&t=11s

Java
July 28th, 2019, 06:56 AM
Fair enough, I just meant that the manufacturers build for a typical person; if they built for 800 mile commutes we'd probably have 100 gallon gas tanks. I don't have a commute either, I haven't driven more than 8 miles at a time or over 40 mph for work in about 15 years. I don't think they would bother building anything for me. :lmao: