PDA

View Full Version : TJ coils in rear of Toyota's

Patrolman
July 5th, 2008, 01:47 PM
SO, since I have now done about 4 or so of these mods, figure I should shine some light on what I have learned.

I believe that the rear TJ coils are a softer spring rate than the fronts, so they give a slightly better ride. I use them in the back of my 4Runner since they keep it at the height I want, give good ride quality, and have a decent compression for articulation. The downfall of the TJ rears is that they "flare" out. The coils are about 5" in diameter at the top and bottom, but about 7" in the middle. If you have a SA rear axle, this means that your tire sits closer in to the frame. Often times the rubber will rub on the coils which is a big no-no. This was the case on my 87 4Runner as well because I run a rim that is tucked well into the body. Had to put on a 1" spacer to accomodate the coils.

The TJ front coils are about 5" in diameter the whole way from the top to the bottom. This means that there is an additional 1" of clearance between the spring and the rubber. Downfall of the fronts is that they are a stiffer ride. This means less compression for articulation. I use them in the rear of my 87 Truck. Great for carrying heavier loads. They are also longer than the rears, so either more has to be cut off for the proper length or they will provide about 6" of lift, which also means longer leafs to accomodate.

Happy to show anyone both of my setups if they are thinking of going this route!

Brody
July 6th, 2008, 06:48 AM
And the results look almost like they came from the factory that way, too! Really nice fix to a common problem, especially since you can get the old TJ coils for free as they are the first thing tossed doing a suspension upgrade!

isotel
July 11th, 2008, 12:45 AM
So on an IFS Runner with stock wheels the Fronts should work?

Patrolman
July 11th, 2008, 12:35 PM
On an IFS 4Runner with stock wheels, you should be able to put front TJ coils in the back. I got a set of fronts in the back of my truck. I am not 100% sure that they are TJ and not XJ though. They can't open up too much or they might not clear the rubber. I am assuming that the coils that remain at about 5" wide for the entire length of the coil are the TJ's.