PDA

View Full Version : post 1997 Ford Rangers

Pathrat
July 8th, 2008, 04:20 PM
I have been looking around at aftermarket parts for the Ford Ranger, model years post 2001. After my initial search, there seems to be little offered in the way of suspension lifts or even body lifts but an abundance of parts for the 1997 and older Ranger. )Yes, I did find the RangerStation and do some searching there but I thought I would ask you guys first)

Why is this? Not worth it to people, is the vehicle configured wrong, can you use products intended for the earlier years or an F-150?

Any help appreciated, thanks.

KnuckleHead
July 8th, 2008, 09:48 PM
I think it falls under demand mostly. I see alot of the older rangers lifted and used for they are, TRUCKS. Seeing as I own a Ranger I too have been looking all around to get info on them and like you see alot more stuf for the older 1s. Don't get me wrong I like that seeing as mine is an 84. Not a fun task to get to pass the E-test but I think it is worth it. I've had other trucks that I wanted to lift and do thingd to before, but I always seem to get the ones that fall in an odd year where no1 made anything for them. As I look for parts for mine I see the year range from like 83-97 for the most part. Sometimes the years are closer in groups like 83-88, 87-97 etc. I think they kept the same frame and just changed the body. I'm still new in the 4wheeling stage and with the Ranger so don't qute me on anything. LOL

Pathrat
July 8th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Thanks, and I am newer than you. :)

KnuckleHead
July 8th, 2008, 10:15 PM
You sure about that one. I have still yet to make it out to a trial. I'm running all stock on the ranger and the Bronco, well I had to sell it. I used it for work for a week and the gas bill....... $130. To much for my pocket. LOL. I am hopeing to start getting the Ranger ready now that I did get it to pass the E-test.

BLOODBANE
July 9th, 2008, 06:21 AM
Biggest reason is cost on the newer Ranger Pathrat. When FORD switched out the TTB front end to the Torsion, lifts became real expensive(not that some of the TTB lifts were cheap). A lot of people with the newer model Rangers, that want to lift and wheel, will just SAS their Ranger and do their lift at the same time. I think SuperLift has a lift for the newer Rangers and I know there are a few more out there, but I can't remember them right now. Warrlord would be the guy to ask, Hes pretty sharp on all of that.....

Warrlord
July 9th, 2008, 07:31 AM
'98 & newer Rangers & '95 & newer Explorers use an IFS with torsion bars, cv joints, rack & pinion steering, etc. Not ideal for hard off road use. There are lifts offered but all it does is increase frame ground clearance. Wheel travel remains minimal like stock. The '97 & older Rangers with the TTB (twin traction beam) use a bastardized IFS of sorts. A high pinion D35. These can yield up to 20" on wheel travel & are tougher than the cv joint IFS configuration in those Rangers. There sooooooo many aftermarket options for the pre '98's, not so much for the later.

The folks with 98's & newers that wheel hard, go SAS.

Pathrat
July 9th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Thanks you guys.

I have been crawling under Rangers at the used car lots, pretending that I know what I am doing beyond checking for leaks, bad seals, rust, etc and I noticed that compared to the Tacoma, I can't see all the parts up front that I want to see.

The SAS was mentioned today by me when we were looking at a 2003. Skyjacker and some other company does offer the lift and IIRC it cost over a grand. If I am going to consider that much for a suspension lift alone, then seems to me it can't be out of the question to change the whole thing if we decide we want the daily driver to be able to do more than Apex Road.

So then why did I read that "4Wheel Magazine" named the 2003 Ranger as the 4x4 of the year. I can look up the review but if they are IRS front and rear, and the only 'locking' differential option is the limited slip, and it is a PITA to modify it...???:confused:

Patrolman
July 9th, 2008, 09:10 PM
I think that I can answer the 4Wheel Magazine 4x4 of the Year question. I believe that they only test "new" models for that year. This would mean that the Ranger must have had a remodel in 2003. Frankly I am not up to par on my Ranger changes, so that is an assumption based on how they apparently test them. I know that they also rate vehicles on other things besides off road capability. They do fit/trim, ride quality, dependability, etc. Basically, if there was a 4wd Ferrari, it could potentially win just by scoring more points on the on-road section. I believe that the Kia won an award in a different year. Go figure.

Also, wanted to say that an IFS rig with a real locker in the rear can be very capable. Throw one in the front, and it will go nearly anywhere. A SAS certainly adds some offroad capability, but isn't always a necessity. Of course, you probably already knew that with the FJC!

Pathrat
July 9th, 2008, 09:38 PM
You sure about that one. I have still yet to make it out to a trial. .

ok, I win :)

Pathrat
July 9th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Also, wanted to say that an IFS rig with a real locker in the rear can be very capable. Throw one in the front, and it will go nearly anywhere. A SAS certainly adds some offroad capability, but isn't always a necessity. Of course, you probably already knew that with the FJC!

So if I put a locker up front, to add to my rear solid and locking diff, we are going to go do Independence? :lol: Kidding. The more I do, the more I find out how capable the FJC is, despite one of my pathologists looking at my picture of the rig straddling the Wedge and saying, "You don't have an adequate understanding of your vehicle." I told him I am learning by doing.

We don't even have the Ford yet, but for some reason I keep thinking about what we can do with it after the buy...:wrench:

BLOODBANE
July 11th, 2008, 06:14 AM
We don't even have the Ford yet, but for some reason I keep thinking about what we can do with it after the buy...:wrench:
The sign of the sickness wheelers have thats called "Wejustcan'tleaveitalone' itis"..........LOL

Pathrat
July 11th, 2008, 11:06 PM
The sign of the sickness wheelers have thats called "Wejustcan'tleaveitalone' itis"..........LOL

:lol: Good one. We looked at one tonight that is pretty clean, a 2001 Ranger xlt Off Road with 42000 miles and maintenance records. This looks like the one. There is a solid axle in the back, but lockers can be added if we decide to turn it. I have to remember it is NOT MY TRUCk

Brody
July 19th, 2008, 07:28 AM
You should have replied to the pathologist " And you do not have an adequate understanding of anything 4x4 related and are therefore underequiped mentally to comprehend what is going on in this picture."

Try looking under the Ford in the links section for aftermarket stuff. Camberg Racing does a lot of Ford after market parts, Total Chaos makes a lift for the front end (I think), Bronco Graveyard has links to other Ford sites.

Try googling something like 'ford truck performance parts' , 'performance parts ford truck', 'ford ranger aftermarket parts', ford ranger suspension', '4x4 suspension ford ranger'...you'll get there. The links section for Ford on the site might be your best starting point, though.

Pathrat
July 19th, 2008, 07:08 PM
You should have replied to the pathologist " And you do not have an adequate understanding of anything 4x4 related and are therefore underequiped mentally to comprehend what is going on in this picture."
.......Try googling something like 'ford truck performance parts' , 'performance parts ford truck', ....you'll get there. The links section for Ford on the site might be your best starting point, though.

Way ahead of you Brody! :D I went to the links for Ford that you posted here, googled suspension parts, and various other combinations of verbage and that initial search is what led to this post. I did not, however, have the manufacturer names you listed here so thank you!

I didn't even consider a reply other than something about me learning by doing. This particular pathologist happens to have a 50 pound brain but relatively poor social skills and a short temper. I let it go. That is either chickening out or not being provoked...which sounds better? ;)

Brody
July 20th, 2008, 06:22 AM
I have a 1/4 lb brain, poor social skills, a short temper, and no patience....plus I am armed and drive a truck...killer combination, so to speak....

At any rate, happy to help out. Post if you need more info or leads to other stuff. I think that any of the sites I suggested would show good links to different web sites, so it would be just a matter of following them.

It would be good for us to have an idea of where Hugh wants to go with it, too.

Here are 3 more sites that will probably answer your questions, especially if you go right to the FAQ:

http://www.fordmotorforum.com
http://www.offroadrangers.com
http://www.therangerstation.com

Pathrat
July 20th, 2008, 10:00 PM
I have a 1/4 lb brain, poor social skills, a short temper, and no patience....plus I am armed and drive a truck...killer combination, so to speak....

Here are 3 more sites that will probably answer your questions, especially if you go right to the FAQ:

http://www.fordmotorforum.com
http://www.offroadrangers.com
http://www.therangerstation.com

:lol: Brings to mind when I first started posting here and said something about cranky old men and then there were threats of lobbing Depends bombs my way. I have the standard issue 1 kg brain, social skills I can turn on and off, a short fuse, little patience, plus I am occasionally armed and drive a truck four days a week. I will back you up, you back me up.

thanks for the links! I didn't have the first two. As far as what Hugh wants to do with the truck? Let me ask first. :D I think he is wanting to change the air intake first. His truck is all new and shiny so he is not willing to get brush marks just yet.

BLOODBANE
July 22nd, 2008, 08:28 PM
I think he is wanting to change the air intake first. His truck is all new and shiny so he is not willing to get brush marks just yet.
SISSY!!!! How can he NOT live without that fancy pinstriping....:lol::lol:

Pathrat
July 22nd, 2008, 10:16 PM
SISSY!!!! How can he NOT live without that fancy pinstriping....:lol::lol:

I call them natural racing stripes :smokin:

Patrolman
July 22nd, 2008, 10:23 PM
I call them natural racing stripes :smokin:

Customization, right? You can't buy that!

Gate Monkey
July 25th, 2008, 07:46 PM
I am not a sissy! I can explain.:)

Pathrat
July 25th, 2008, 09:31 PM
I am not a sissy! I can explain.:)

Now he (this is Hugh, bout time he joined in the discussion of his truck! ;)) is telling me he is going to take a picture of his "rig". :lol:

Honey, I love you but you don't have a rig yet!

Chris
July 25th, 2008, 09:35 PM
That's a "thread killer" if I ever heard one. :lol:

Pathrat
July 25th, 2008, 10:38 PM
That's a "thread killer" if I ever heard one. :lol:

I had to, he was standing right here! :lol: