PDA

View Full Version : Moab Trip Report

Chris
July 9th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Moved from Trail Run Reports since it's not really providing that. I will when I get back.

Hey All! Finally got some access from a hotel to post on our trip to Moab and south but don't have time to provide details yet. I need to do a bit of searching for parts instead. :(

I'll be able to get a closer look but preliminary indications are that my fuel pump failed late yesterday. Towed it to camp where the younger folks stayed while us old farts high tailed for showers and air conditioning. :lol:

I'm hoping it will be the not uncommon issue of wiring breaks to the pump but have a feeling that would be too easy. We're having a good time otherwise!

Patrolman
July 9th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Isn't the 60 a carb'd engine with a mechanical pump? I would either test the output of the pump or just replace it. You can either go with another mechanical or a low PSI in-line electric. Just hardwire the electric to the battery for now.

Pathrat
July 9th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Serious??? Ok, don't go doing Poison Spider. :) I will be riddled with guilt if something else breaks up there.

Chris
July 10th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Replaced the pump in the tank with one from NAPA (65 miles away) after doing a thorough evaluation with our minimal diagnostic equipment. Kind of like; we got spark, we got air, but no gas, the common problem wires all looked good, re-did a few. Ronnie was great and we got the tank dropped, fuel pump installed in the motel parking lot finished up at 2am. Thinking ahead that we may be fixing something that doesn't need fixing we ran a wire to hardwire the pump to the battery and that's got us running. No idle but she runs. Heading back to Moab today, maybe I'll find the fuel pump relay that I think is the real issue along the way. Kind of hard to wheel w/o idle.

Patrolman - mine's a 62, electric pump and fuel injected.

Pathrat - riddled with guilt? Maybe I will do PS. :D

Patrolman
July 10th, 2008, 11:08 AM
I thought it was a 60 for some reason. Maybe the round headlights? EFI is certainly a little harder to diagnose than carbs, especially in the middle of nowhere. Glad it is running. Sounds like maybe you figured out the problem!

Patrolman
July 10th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Ah, just found this.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/100034-fj62-60-headlight-problem.html
The whole time I thought you were driving a 60. Sneaky, sneaky!

Chris
July 10th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Yeah, my 62 is a 60 poser. :D With the 60 front clip and H55F it's like a fuel injected 60 with a 5 speed and more comfortable interior.

We made it back to Moab but I can't idle without the truck dying and then I have to start it with the key, weird. Popping the clutch at 50 won't start it, must be something significant in all the stuff I by passed. :(

No way to wheel this way, looks like I'll be using a Rubicon tomorrow.

Pathrat
July 10th, 2008, 06:18 PM
are you renting the Rubicon? If so, DEFINITELY do PSM! :D

sorry about your 62

Chris
July 10th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Here's a pic everyone will like, a Jeep pulling a Land Cruiser :lol:

Chris
July 10th, 2008, 10:05 PM
It's never fun having a breakdown on the trail but I have to say it provided some entertaining wheeling. Ronnie was pulling me down the trail but after 3 miles my brakes were smoking and we had 27 miles to go. We looked down the trail and agreed it was time to roll, literally. Ronnie ran ahead of me so I could see the trail turns, rises and falls and as a brake if mine failed. I probably rolled 20 miles downhill which was new and fun and a real time saver.

Chris
July 11th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Still have no idea why I can't idle but vise grips are a versatile tool so all is well until I get home.

Patrolman
July 11th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Did you at least get better MPG over those 20 miles?!

Chris
July 11th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Did you at least get better MPG over those 20 miles?!

My mileage rocked! Unfortunately the gas I saved ended up in the motel parking lot when we dropped the tank.

two zook
July 21st, 2008, 08:10 AM
the rest ended up in the rent a jeep

two zook
July 21st, 2008, 08:11 AM
what trail did you and denny run after the vise grip fix

Chris
July 21st, 2008, 10:31 PM
what trail did you and denny run after the vise grip fix

We ran over Baby Lion's Back and the beginning of Fins& Things. ;)