PDA

View Full Version : Recent Layout Changes?

Tom
November 29th, 2019, 08:07 AM
Sometime in the last several weeks it seems the page layout has changed for the worse, at least on tablets. See the attached image.

I think the change was due to a right margin or inset change. See the black semi arrow line.
This has forced wrapping of lines in the member data. (Red and blue circle) and elsewhere.

Is anyone else seeing this? I am using the latest chrome version on a recent ipad.

FINOCJ
November 29th, 2019, 08:23 AM
Not seeing those issues on my phone or PC, both of which I run chrome. But I probably don't have the latest version/update.

open_circuit
November 29th, 2019, 09:01 AM
Not happening here, either. I routinely browse from my android phone running firefox mobile browser, and PC on chrome / firefox browsers across various operating systems.

Tom
November 29th, 2019, 09:31 AM
Hmm. Works fine in Safari on ipad. Cleared chrome’s cache. Still an issue.

Tom
November 29th, 2019, 10:43 AM
Hmm. Works fine in Safari on ipad. Cleared chrome’s cache. Still an issue.
And now it looks correct. Weird.

Jim
November 29th, 2019, 11:19 AM
self correcting technology issues for the win!

Java
November 29th, 2019, 03:59 PM
In Google Chrome you can right click on whatever page you're on and you'll get a short menu; select "Inspect" and you can see what that page looks like on a variety of devices.

Tom
November 30th, 2019, 10:07 AM
In Google Chrome you can right click on whatever page you're on and you'll get a short menu; select "Inspect" and you can see what that page looks like on a variety of devices.
There is no right click on an ipad and hardly ever on my laptop any more.

Tom
November 30th, 2019, 10:09 AM
self correcting technology issues for the win!
Except that it is back problematic today. Yesterday I could log out and back in to correct it. No joy today.

it has something to do with portrait mode. I had portrait working for a bit and added an edit to this. Submitted it. Turned my tablet from portrait to landcape and back an the issue returned.

Jim
November 30th, 2019, 10:50 AM
To my knowledge the forum side of the fence in this play has not changed. I've not contacted them for any change and they've not told me of any update to happen - though it's possible some larger, general server update might have happened.

Tom
November 30th, 2019, 12:57 PM
Its an iPad (6th generation) that I got recently. I may be due to changes in the os or ipad resolution. Now that I see its back to normal in landscape its not a prob. Originally thought Jim my have made a tweak.

Alls good.

Jim
November 30th, 2019, 01:12 PM
Talking about forum change...

If anyone wishes to play with vBulletin coding, our donations bar add-in could use some tweaking. The donations bar does not "fill in" as donations are accepted. My assumption is that some database table name changed at a vBulletin version upgrade and the add-in needs to be updated. Anyone interested to look at it?

Java
December 1st, 2019, 08:15 AM
There is no right click on an ipad and hardly ever on my laptop any more.

You can hold down your finger instead of rightclicking on an ipad for similar function, or use control + shift + I if your laptop won't right click anymore, but I didnt mean it for your ipad, or whatever device is in question; it's a google developer tool that you can use to see how your site presents on different devices. Google is no longer indexing sites that don't work on mobile devices https://searchengineland.com/july-1-new-sites-will-be-indexed-using-googles-mobile-first-indexing-317490 and this is one way they are helping developers get up to speed. You can also get a critical report https://search.google.com/test/mobile-friendly

So, using this tool, if this site looked bad on your ipad and someone wanted to see what you meant they could open it and see. This is what this site looks like on an ipad using that tool:

Tom
December 1st, 2019, 09:50 AM
Interesting Paul, but your screen shot does not show what my ipad displays.

Java
December 1st, 2019, 12:26 PM
IDK. The image in that screenshot is displayed at 50%, and overall is possibly based more on screen size than anything else. I guess results vary...