PDA

View Full Version : Electric car sales have now surpassed stickshift sales in the U.S

Java
February 25th, 2020, 07:08 PM
cowards.

https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/electric-car-sales-have-now-surpassed-stickshift-sales-in-the-u-s

Jim
February 25th, 2020, 09:06 PM
totally

uphill starts in a line of traffic - pfffft

The StRanger
February 25th, 2020, 10:41 PM
5 speed in the Mazda
5 speed in the Exploder.
5 speed goin in the Ranger
5 speed in the YJ frog
Nuff said

open_circuit
February 26th, 2020, 07:25 AM
6 speed manual subaru and jeep... the previous mazda (minivan!) was a 5 speed manual as well. I guess that makes me the 1%?

FINOCJ
February 26th, 2020, 08:54 AM
Guessing this crowd is not representative of the car buying community as a whole....
Going to replace my 6speed Taco at some point in the next few years - guessing in a couple years it won't be available with a manual - and my wife will be really happy that she won't have to drive the stick anymore on road trips.

newracer
February 26th, 2020, 09:13 AM
I prefer an auto in almost any vehicle.

speedkills
February 26th, 2020, 10:26 AM
I prefer an auto in newer vehicles. I used to prefer manuals but the programming in the newer autos has gotten really good and with paddle shifters all you are losing in control is a clutch which is pretty 50/50 against better left foot braking in my mind anyway.

Getaklu
February 26th, 2020, 10:58 AM
I guess that makes me the 1%?

6 speed in the JKU and had to seek it out. Not sure I would give up the Allison paired with the exhaust brake in my truck, it holds going down a hill like a stick. Makes me the 50%?

Jim
February 26th, 2020, 12:08 PM
One question - how many vehicles will have dual dry clutches at the front of an automatically controlled "manual" trans. I can see that, overall, replacing torque converter "automatic" transmissions.

We're moving to computer control - for fuel economy - which trans type will win?

Spieg
February 26th, 2020, 01:04 PM
I would expect this trend to continue. Millennials didn't learn cursive writing or how to drive stick... and automatics tend to be more profitable for the auto makers.

open_circuit
February 26th, 2020, 01:22 PM
Millennials didn't learn cursive writing or how to drive stick

Unfortunately, I believe I qualify as a millennial (ugh). I did learn cursive in grade school. Didn't learn to drive on a manual transmission until my second car, though. I don't recall my kids doing much (any?) cursive in school. I'll have to ask them tonight how much time has been spent on it.

Swank1975
February 26th, 2020, 04:41 PM
OK boomer. ;) Don't even know how old you guys are but the millennial ageist jokes always get me. Just as much as saying "OK boomer" does. People of all generations are stupid and talented. If you think you're demographic is better than another you're only fooling yourselves.

As for the topic of this post. This trend will only continue as time moves on. The new autos are just so good and as more people spend all day in traffic texting, eating, talking to kids, etc the auto and self driving electric cars will continue to take over for the majority of over distracted drivers. Cars themselves are still in their infancy when you look at the history of mankind. For thousands of years we rode animals. We've had cars for over 100 years.

speedkills
February 26th, 2020, 06:47 PM
You're not kidding regarding distracted drivers. I see plenty every day I wish could just turn on the autopilot already.

Getaklu
February 26th, 2020, 08:21 PM
Automated driving is all the rage. https://www.wsoctv.com/news/trending/man-killed-tesla-suv-crash-was-playing-game-smartphone-while-automated-driving-was-engaged-ntsb-says/PW4UXBWDXBEM3NL66VKFU2BRIU/

If you aren’t into games, maybe a movie buff; https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jul/01/tesla-driver-killed-autopilot-self-driving-car-harry-potter

Bring on the autopilot!

Jim
February 26th, 2020, 09:01 PM
Sign me up for automated driving when I can get in and SLEEP (as in, there's a bed to sleep in) while the car drives through the night to a place 8 to 10 hours distant. Either have the car drive to a gas station where an attendant would fill the gas tank or have a trailer that's a rolling gas tank - plumbed for extended range (which I could see as a solution to all electric vehicles - pull a battery pack - and pull-behind-batteries are standardized - pull into a battery station, disconnect depleated battery trailer and connect a fresh trailer - back on the road faster than filling a gas tank).

Back to auto-drive fails - The ?Florida? auto-drive car (Tesla?) that drove under the semi-trailer and decapitated the driver - that's a curious one.

https://www.treehugger.com/cars/tesla-driver-killed-autopilot-crash-would-still-be-alive-if-trailers-had-side-underride-guards.html

speedkills
February 26th, 2020, 09:57 PM
Tesla's auto-drive tech is like the Tyranasaurs in Jurassic Park, it can't see what doesn't move, like a stopped semi in the middle of the road.

newracer
February 27th, 2020, 07:51 AM
OK boomer. ;) Don't even know how old you guys are but the millennial ageist jokes always get me. Just as much as saying "OK boomer" does. People of all generations are stupid and talented. If you think you're demographic is better than another you're only fooling yourselves.

As for the topic of this post. This trend will only continue as time moves on. The new autos are just so good and as more people spend all day in traffic texting, eating, talking to kids, etc the auto and self driving electric cars will continue to take over for the majority of over distracted drivers. Cars themselves are still in their infancy when you look at the history of mankind. For thousands of years we rode animals. We've had cars for over 100 years.

It's not that any generation has more stupid people than others it's the fact that younger generations do not have as much accessibility to stick shift autos. I made sure both of my sons learned to drive a stick before selling my TJ, the last car I had with a stick. My son, who is 22, has told me many stories about the majority of his peers not being able to drive a stick.

Getaklu
February 27th, 2020, 08:21 AM
Back to auto-drive fails - The ?Florida? auto-drive car (Tesla?) that drove under the semi-trailer and decapitated the driver - that's a curious one.

https://www.treehugger.com/cars/tesl...de-guards.html

I like the headline, "Tesla driver killed in autopilot crash might still be alive if trailers had side underride guards". Almost makes it seem like it was the fault of the semi.

Jim
February 27th, 2020, 09:00 AM
Yea, that was my stance as well. Bias in reporting - way too much of it these days. Just give me the facts.

Swank1975
February 27th, 2020, 12:51 PM
I like the headline, "Tesla driver killed in autopilot crash might still be alive if trailers had side underride guards". Almost makes it seem like it was the fault of the semi.

I think they are referring to the style of bumpers that Euro trucks have which are safer for everyone involved. Not a drastic change but still an expensive one.