PDA

View Full Version : Indiana Creek/Dyersville CO

gragravar
July 14th, 2008, 05:12 PM
OK, I know I shouldnt wheel alone, but I did anyway. Actually I took my brother in law and nephew along and we picked an easy trail

last Wednesday morning we drove up to the ghost town of Dyersville just outside of Breckenridge.

Dyersville is an old mining town now in ruins. to get there go through Breckenridge on hwy 9, turn left on wagon road, then left on Indiana creek road.

Indiana creek road is paved to near the top of the subdivision (some really nice houses BTW). the road is unpaved and graded for a short distance to a small private shooting range. it is past this range that the 4wd road begins.

the beginning of the trail climbs a short distance then goes into Indiana creek. no snorkel needed, the water is only about 6" deep. the trail follows the creek bed for a short distance (maybe 50 yards) then hops up beside the creek. through the creek there are many willows that will scrape the sides of your rig - this isnt a hard trail - but not one to do in a truck that you like the paint on either.

once beside the creek on the left (north) side of the creek, continue up the trail for a mile to a mile and a half. to a fork in the road. take the right fork to go around to the old mining town of Dyersville (you'll go through one more creek crossing on the way there) and the warriors mark mine. there are several old buildings and lots of mine shafts around. keep your eyes on pets and little ones, dont let them wander near the shafts.

after soaking in enough scenery, proceed back to that fork in the road and continue on the fork you didnt take before. this will continue up the hill for another 1/3 - 1/2 mile until reaching boreas pass road. boreas pass is an unpaved road passable in a 2wd vehicle. it used to be a rail grade running between Breckenridge and Como. at the top is some good rail history. when exiting the dyersville trail, take a right on boreas pass to get to the top, or a left to head down into Breckenridge.

all in all it is a short trip, but a good one for taking out of towners that want a taste of 4 wheeling without scaring them too much. its close to town and has some good history to take in.

just watch out for the willows at the bottom and the pines along the trail, they will scratch your paint.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3143/2668369087_0fe7bfd414_b.jpg

Pathrat
July 14th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Very pretty, thanks for the report.

Funrover
July 14th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Nice, Glad to see the RRC being used!