PDA

View Full Version : Advice? Suggestions? Recommendations?

Chris
May 1st, 2020, 08:19 AM
Okay you guys, if you read my "for your amusement" post a while back you know I got my 4Runner stuck, blew the radiator and all hell broke loose costing me dearly to repair. Enough of that but on a related note I'm wanting a 4x4 even though there's not much need for one in flat, flat, flat Florida. I still manage to find places I shouldn't take a 2wd.

As a life-long Toyota guy I'm really put off by the prices these days even though I feel they're worth the money especially in Colorado. But I'm not in Colorado and nearing 70 years old so my level of activity has declined significantly. What I'm looking for is info on Jeeps which I'm considering moving to for my needs these days. What should I know specifically? Weaknesses of specific models? Mileage considerations? Anything that could help me make a decision I won't regret. I'm not looking for a Rubicon, maybe a Wrangler or maybe a SUV type whatever models they offer now. Just want low gear and reliability with the ability to do some mild wheeling and keep myself out of trouble. Maybe something you'd consider a a commuter car with good 4wd capability. :D Not looking to buy new but unsure how far back I should consider either.

Your help would be appreciated. Thanks! :thumb:

Jim
May 1st, 2020, 08:29 AM
I think a couple rough filter questions could be 1) Do you want topless capability and 2) Do you want air conditioning?

open_circuit
May 1st, 2020, 08:43 AM
Jim, isn't topless == air conditioning? :2thumbup:

Also, he lives in Florida now, I think air conditioning is a firm requirement. It seems like a Grand Cherokee would be ideal, and roughly equivalent to a 4Runner. However, the prices of GC are comparable to 4Runner prices, so I'm probably missing the mark here.

FINOCJ
May 1st, 2020, 09:34 AM
As a former FL resident I had a 4cyl soft top wrangler....my thoughts are that 4cyl will get you where you need in FL without issues, but the soft top was not as great as no AC unless top was down, and really, in hot humid FL not sure that counts as much unless cruising at speed. Plus the consistent afternoon rain storms were an issue. I drove my YJ and my CJ7 as DDs for quite a lot of years (in FL, CO and TX) - both with soft or no top - and I think I am past the stage of a DD with soft top (I like having my cj5 now with no top all summer - and it stays in the garage if the weather isn't ideal, or if I am wheeling, I don't really care if it rains/snows - and its Colo).

If not looking for too much luxury (and thus keeping the price down), and simple 4cyl jeep wrangler TJ (did they make JKs with 4cyl?) with hard top and AC will go a long ways in FL. Even with either the 3.8 or 3.6 v6, I think there is probably some value to found in 2door JKs as most wanted the 4dr, and now that the JL is out, I bet you can get a solid 2dr JK for a good price. And I think the small, shorter 2dr is more fun to drive assuming you don't have a need for the 4dr or extra space. For something a bit more small SUV - when my wife (and I) were looking to replace here AWD hatchback this past fall, I thought the (newer) Jeep Compass was a pretty neat option (new one looks like a shrunk down GC - the old one was quite possibly the ugliest jeep ever made).

She ended up going a bit smaller with another AWD hatchback (Honda HRV), but my vote was probably the Compass (although I am definitely not sold on FCA products over the last 10 years - they do seem to have worked out a lot of the bugs, especially in the 8speed auto found in the Compass and Cherokee). The slightly larger Cherokee is also an option - a bit bigger still and somewhere between a grand Cherokee and Compass. Probably closer to a replacement for your 4runner than the other options...my next door neighbor here has the trailhawk edition - its pretty nice, but all the onboard nav and electronic control system is a bit too much for me, and the price was too much for us to seriously consider. Good news in FL, I think that comes in 4cyl option that would be fine and cheaper. One last option (also considered by my wife), is a Suby Cross-trek. My friends in NE florida went from a Jeep GC to one (think the jeep went to their daughter actually) and use it along the beach and other typical sandy FL offroad spots - I think they even used it to pull someone out of the beach sand. My wife really didn't like the interior and around here they go for a premium - but not sure if FL has the suby culture we have in Colo.

Tom
May 1st, 2020, 02:28 PM
Theres a guy just up from me has been trying to sell a rig similar to what Rob used to wheel. I bet you
could get it for a very reasonable. :D:thumb::D

Jim
May 1st, 2020, 03:08 PM
FJ40 or FJCruiser?

Didn't Rob have one of each?

Tom
May 1st, 2020, 03:17 PM
FJ40 or FJCruiser?

Didn't Rob have one of each?
I am not a Toyota 4x4 guru. Went up and took a picture.

FINOCJ
May 1st, 2020, 04:14 PM
Fj40...the classic....

open_circuit
May 1st, 2020, 04:15 PM
That smart car in the background would probably work fine in Florida too.

Jim
May 1st, 2020, 06:12 PM
Florida WHITE - Chris's all set!

With a classic Warn winch too.

Chris
May 2nd, 2020, 03:29 PM
I think a couple rough filter questions could be 1) Do you want topless capability and 2) Do you want air conditioning?

Both would be good but if I had to choose I'd go with a/c, gets kinda hot down here in the summer.

Chris
May 2nd, 2020, 03:34 PM
Fj40...the classic....

Lots of FJ40's here, pristine $40k that have never seen anything other than pavement. :erm:

Even a beautiful FJ45 but I'm afraid to even ask about that one.

Chris
May 2nd, 2020, 03:36 PM
That smart car in the background would probably work fine in Florida too.

:tisktisk:

Chris
May 2nd, 2020, 03:56 PM
As a former FL resident I had a 4cyl soft top wrangler....my thoughts are that 4cyl will get you where you need in FL without issues, but the soft top was not as great as no AC unless top was down, and really, in hot humid FL not sure that counts as much unless cruising at speed. Plus the consistent afternoon rain storms were an issue. I drove my YJ and my CJ7 as DDs for quite a lot of years (in FL, CO and TX) - both with soft or no top - and I think I am past the stage of a DD with soft top (I like having my cj5 now with no top all summer - and it stays in the garage if the weather isn't ideal, or if I am wheeling, I don't really care if it rains/snows - and its Colo).

If not looking for too much luxury (and thus keeping the price down), and simple 4cyl jeep wrangler TJ (did they make JKs with 4cyl?) with hard top and AC will go a long ways in FL. Even with either the 3.8 or 3.6 v6, I think there is probably some value to found in 2door JKs as most wanted the 4dr, and now that the JL is out, I bet you can get a solid 2dr JK for a good price. And I think the small, shorter 2dr is more fun to drive assuming you don't have a need for the 4dr or extra space. For something a bit more small SUV - when my wife (and I) were looking to replace here AWD hatchback this past fall, I thought the (newer) Jeep Compass was a pretty neat option (new one looks like a shrunk down GC - the old one was quite possibly the ugliest jeep ever made).

She ended up going a bit smaller with another AWD hatchback (Honda HRV), but my vote was probably the Compass (although I am definitely not sold on FCA products over the last 10 years - they do seem to have worked out a lot of the bugs, especially in the 8speed auto found in the Compass and Cherokee). The slightly larger Cherokee is also an option - a bit bigger still and somewhere between a grand Cherokee and Compass. Probably closer to a replacement for your 4runner than the other options...my next door neighbor here has the trailhawk edition - its pretty nice, but all the onboard nav and electronic control system is a bit too much for me, and the price was too much for us to seriously consider. Good news in FL, I think that comes in 4cyl option that would be fine and cheaper. One last option (also considered by my wife), is a Suby Cross-trek. My friends in NE florida went from a Jeep GC to one (think the jeep went to their daughter actually) and use it along the beach and other typical sandy FL offroad spots - I think they even used it to pull someone out of the beach sand. My wife really didn't like the interior and around here they go for a premium - but not sure if FL has the suby culture we have in Colo.

Thanks James, you provided a lot of good info which is what I hoped someone could provide. It was a 2 door Wrangler that pulled me out when I was stuck and that alone got me thinking to that model. A wrangler TJ with hard top and AC sounds like what I should start with. I'm not really a fan of the Grand Cherokee, a friend has one and he wheeled it with me in Moab and BV but I guess I just don't care for the looks of it. Probably need to keep an open mind on that though but your point on the price may eliminate it. I'll have to look at a Compass, not at all familiar with them. Cross-trek is something I should look into though everyone seems to think they're seats are uncomfortable for long drives, I'll add it to my "maybe" list. They're nowhere near as popular here as they are there but I'll see what's available.

I'll refer back to this as I start my search in this market which is a bit odd, but that applies to quite a bit here. IIRC you lived in northern FL, right? Honestly I wasn't sure about living here but we're liking it and I guess the heat and humidity don't effect us as much as other people. It's been in the low 80's the last few days which, to us, is like those early spring Colorado days when it warms up to 50, throw open to windows and take it in. :thumb:

Jackie
May 2nd, 2020, 04:00 PM
Both would be good but if I had to choose I'd go with a/c, gets kinda hot down here in the summer. The top stays on in summer, but comes OFF the rest of year! There's really only 3 or 4 months that you'd need AC. Go Wrangler!

Tom
May 2nd, 2020, 04:18 PM
Chris,

My $.02. Stay away from the compass. I’ve a 2005 2wd version and its been a money pit. Started with a complete transaxle replacement at 50k miles to the tune of $6500. There was supposed to be a warranty but Jeep wouldn’t honor it.

FINOCJ
May 2nd, 2020, 06:19 PM
I don't know if a 'new' compass is super reliable, but it is a completely different car these days. I think the redesign was 2017? I wouldn't buy one older than that at least.

Chris
May 3rd, 2020, 11:04 AM
My $.02. Stay away from the compass. I’ve a 2005 2wd version and its been a money pit. Started with a complete transaxle replacement at 50k miles to the tune of $6500. There was supposed to be a warranty but Jeep wouldn’t honor it.

I don't know if a 'new' compass is super reliable, but it is a completely different car these days. I think the redesign was 2017? I wouldn't buy one older than that at least.

Noted, thanks James and Tom

Chris
May 3rd, 2020, 11:07 AM
The top stays on in summer, but comes OFF the rest of year! There's really only 3 or 4 months that you'd need AC. Go Wrangler!

Leaning heavily towards a Wrangler Jackie.

Wondering about acceptable mileage, my Toyotas have all gone well over 200k except the current one which has 180k. How do Jeep motors hold up over time? of course it all depends on maintenance but otherwise what guidelines should I consider?

How about this beauty at $27,500? :lmao:

Jim
May 3rd, 2020, 11:42 AM
How about this beauty at $27,500?

As I was taught - If you don't have anything good to say... So, I'll say, It hasn't ever seen mud or even sand.

How do Jeep motors hold up over time?

As for my jeep - 90 Wrangler (YJ classification), with the 4.2L/258CI motor that was converted to MPFI (multi-port fuel injection - it was carb'd before my time)...
Purchased 6/2011 @ 153K
05/2020 it's at 187K

The straight 6 motor 4.2 / 4.0 is a very popular motor with a long history.

I've never opened the block or had a need to remove the camshaft cover, timing chain cover, oil pan.

I love it's low end torque (great for the trails).

I wish it had more pull heading up the big hills of 70 west of Denver (which is why I've taken your advice and now just take 6).

Once or twice a year it will have a stuck lifter at cold start in the morning (just turn the engine off and re-start and most likely - no loud tick).

It has started to leak at, I believe, the rear main seal. I'll likely tend that fairly easy repair before long.

Mine does burn oil though I do not see "blue smoke" behind me.

Average MPG: 15

I just watched this "stroker rebuild" video, you might find some of the comments worthwhile:
Big Power Jeep Straight Six Stroker Build on a Budget with Newcomer Racing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlHrqhwojf0

Heather
May 4th, 2020, 11:07 AM
If you want a better/smoother ride than the TJ, and decide to look at JKs, or JKU - in terms of performance, the 2012 and newer is better (Pentastar engine). From personal experience, the 2011s are best avoided. Something about it being an in-between year, (before the Pentastar) and definitely avoid the 2011 manual transmission. We had to replace the clutch in Chris's at 36,000 miles (RIGHT after the warranty expired) and found out it's a known issue for that year (and Chrysler still wouldn't cover it). I've heard the prices of JKs/JKUs have gone down, since JLs have come out. I haven't really SEEN that, at least not here, but one can hope.

Older Grand Cherokees can be had (way) cheap, and have the same bulletpoof 4.0 I6 that were in a lot of TJs/LJs. They are so comfy, and run forever.

Blackjeep
May 4th, 2020, 01:32 PM
I had a 2004 Grand Cherokee, last year of the I6. That was a reliable beast and comfortable all day on the highway.
I lifted it and put 33"s on it and it took me up many a pass, Engineer, Cinnamon, TinCup, Hancock... etc.
Let's face it in FL you won't top down or need much capability but you will be on the highway A LOT. That GC was a luxury ride IMHO.

Jim
May 10th, 2020, 02:01 PM
So, what's catching your eye these days?

Chris
May 11th, 2020, 01:28 PM
This caught my eye, not sure about the price and milage though. Opinions?

Year 2011
Make JEEP
Model WRANGLER
Trim UNLIMITED SPORT SUV 4D
Drivetrain 4WD
Transmission AUTOMATIC
Engine V6, 3.8 LITER
Mileage 153,621
Doors 4
Exterior Color BLACK
Interior Color GRAY
VIN 1J4BA3H10BL578941

ColoJeeper
May 11th, 2020, 02:12 PM
Two owners, first was a rental fleet. Two minor accidents, one in the front passenger side and the other in the rear. Looks to have had regular maintenance on it. If you are really interested, give me an email address and i'll send you a carfax of it.

Chris
May 11th, 2020, 02:20 PM
Two owners, first was a rental fleet. Two minor accidents, one in the front passenger side and the other in the rear. Looks to have had regular maintenance on it. If you are really interested, give me an email address and i'll send you a carfax of it.

Thanks Don, the small lot dealer showed me a copy of the Carfax. How's the mileage in your opinion? It looks clean but I haven't driven it yet, still looking around. Does your Carfax show it started in New York? Always curious of validity of stuff from dealers.

How about this one? :eek:

Jim
May 11th, 2020, 02:26 PM
How about this one?

1) Sorry, it doesn't have a winch.

2) Where are you searching that you're coming up with FREAK SHOW jeeps? :eek:

What's your thought on black top vs. white top for Florida sun / heat?

open_circuit
May 11th, 2020, 02:35 PM
Does that orange Jeep have 4 steering stabilizers?

ColoJeeper
May 11th, 2020, 02:48 PM
In my opinion I would avoid the "11" and and earlier JK's. Big difference in the engines between the "11" and older and the "12" and newer. I have an "11" and it's ok, but I wish I would have waited a year to buy. Mine is still going strong, but is just a toy and only has about 66,000 miles on it. On the other hand, I suspect that jeep was strictly a commuter and for that I wouldn't be too concerned about the high mileage.

That jeep started out in Branford, CT and remained in CT until March of 2020

FINOCJ
May 11th, 2020, 03:34 PM
The general consensus is that the 2012 and later 3.6v6 is the better engine....but not sure how much of an issue that would be in the FL region. I drove a 3.8 in San Diego for a week or so and thought it fine, and the terrain in FL is similar (i.e. flat and low elevation). I think the question of color is a bigger concern - dark colored cars in the FL heat seems like a bad way to go. Any concern with a NE car with road salt etc...maybe check to make sure the underside is not a rust bucket? In a perfect world, find a lighter color, less miles, 3.6 for less money....well, maybe you can get 3 out those 4? I didn't see a price, so no comment there, but in theory, if the price is right the color and engine won't seem too bad.

Chris
May 11th, 2020, 05:31 PM
1) Sorry, it doesn't have a winch.

2) Where are you searching that you're coming up with FREAK SHOW jeeps? :eek:

What's your thought on black top vs. white top for Florida sun / heat?

Answer to #2 - Florida, Jim, Florida :lmao:

Black isn't desired but not a deal breaker if the a/c works well. :cool:

Chris
May 11th, 2020, 05:34 PM
In my opinion I would avoid the "11" and and earlier JK's. Big difference in the engines between the "11" and older and the "12" and newer. I have an "11" and it's ok, but I wish I would have waited a year to buy. Mine is still going strong, but is just a toy and only has about 66,000 miles on it. On the other hand, I suspect that jeep was strictly a commuter and for that I wouldn't be too concerned about the high mileage.

That jeep started out in Branford, CT and remained in CT until March of 2020

Thanks again Don, the Carfax I was shown said it started in NY. That alone rules it out of any consideration. That applies to the lot he runs too.

Chris
May 11th, 2020, 05:39 PM
Thanks James, I'll keep looking as there's no hurry on anything these days. Not much available that doesn't have big shiny chrome wheels and not a speck of dirt. Pretty strange market here but I'll find something. Fortunately my 4Runner runs like a top now that it's all back in shape. I guess I should have kept my CO 4Runner after all. :redface:

FINOCJ
July 8th, 2020, 05:31 PM
Chris - did you move forward with anything here? hope all is well down there with the uptick in C19 concerns.

Chris
July 16th, 2020, 06:28 PM
Thanks James, Covid-19 is blowing up down here as I think everyone knows but we've managed to stay clear of it so far. The need to stay away from most everything made our search harder but we had lots of time so it balanced out I guess. We test drove quite a few and finally settled on Subaru. Almost went with the last run of the 3.6 to get the 6 cylinder but got realistic and bought 2020 Outback Limited (non-turbo) which should suit us fine. Pretty impressed so far. Not much of an off-road vehicle but not much real off-roading to do here either.

Jim
July 18th, 2020, 07:53 PM
Nice!

Should we send one set of traction boards or two? You know you're going to test some boundaries.