PDA

View Full Version : Shock Advice, reccomendations

Fatkids
August 17th, 2020, 03:24 PM
Hoping to get some advice on shocks. I've currently got the ProComp Pro Runners on front and rear. I've had to replace the rear already once due to it completely failing, luckily under warranty. But on recent road trip both on and offroad, I find that im bottoming out in back and every bump in the road feels like a 10in pothole, dont even get me started on washboard, and it feels like I'm on a waterbed after turns or humps in the road. I 100% need new bump stops all around, any advice? Reservoir vs Monotube? Brand? Anything else I need to look in to? Thanks!

Tom
August 17th, 2020, 03:54 PM
I like my blisteins. Had three sets of shocks on my 2012 jk. These are the best I have had so far.

Java
August 17th, 2020, 09:43 PM
I recently picked up great deals on Amazon Warehouse for monotubes for our Xterra: Bilstien 4600s up front, and KYB Gas-A-Just out back. Both are great, the KYBs are generally less expensive. Washboards are much nicer than with the OEM shocks, less rear end kick-out.

Brian
August 18th, 2020, 08:34 AM
I've been very happy with Bilstien 5100s front and rear.

newracer
August 18th, 2020, 08:44 AM
Another vote for Bilstien. The Ranchos that I have on my JKUR have also been good.

derf
August 18th, 2020, 08:46 AM
I put Bilstiens on my JK before I sold it. I was happy with them. When it's time for shocks on the XJ again it'll probably get a set.

Tank15
August 18th, 2020, 11:24 AM
I've got a set of Fox Performance front and rear on mine, and they're great. My experience has been with stock, a set of Rough Country that were on it when I bought it (trash), and now Fox.

Reservoir benefits in a nutshell: 1.) Better performance at speed off-road (overlanding/pre-running type driving) 2.) adjustability factor with reservoir valving 3.) extra oil = bit of extra travel for rock crawling/obstacles

Monotube benefits: 1.) Cheaper, likely will meet all the needs for you unless there is a specific goal for the vehicle

Now, that being said - I have the monotube Fox's and they're great. Very minimal fade, and I've driven them hard around 35-40 MPH to see how they do offroad. But next set of shocks I will likely get a reservoir set specifically for the increased travel benefit, as rocks and obstacles are my purpose for the Jeep. I decided not to when I bought my current set because of my current lift, I couldn't utilize the travel anyway so 2x the cost didn't make sense, and I wasn't ready to change the whole lift out. So, my advice would be to decide which category your vehicle use fits in and go from there. And to measure your travel before ordering shocks. Each manufacturer is a bit different, so just because you have a 3.5" lift, the 3.5" shocks might not be the best fit in your instance due to actual ride height. The 4" shocks might fit better. Goal here is to make sure your min/max travel on the shock is within the usable range of your lift or the new set will just blow out again.

4wdhunter
August 18th, 2020, 11:36 AM
I had Bilstiens on my JK and thought they rode a bit too stiff for my liking. So I took them off for Fox 2.0 shocks and couldn't be happier.

I was talked into the Pro Comp Pro Runners back when they first came out and I had an LJ, and I hated them. I took them off after less than 500 miles. Think I replaced those with Doetsch Tech shocks which were pretty decent shocks.

And X2 what Tank15 said about the shock length. I have 3.5" springs but run shocks for a 4-6" lift to take advantage of as much wheel travel as I can. Just remember that proper bump stop length is also important. My setup works great with my 37s imo.

Fatkids
August 18th, 2020, 12:46 PM
Thanks everyone for the input! Glad to hear I'm not the only one over the ProComp.

Java
September 2nd, 2020, 11:00 AM
Just had a good apples to apples comparison; we drove Phantom Canyon rd last year in our Xterra with the OEM twin tubes and decided never to drive it again, the washboards were so rough. Recently drove it again anyway, same rig, same tires, new Monotube shocks. We barely felt them this time, and went a lot faster.