PDA

View Full Version : Barbour Forks

Jackie
August 27th, 2020, 07:31 PM
I ran Barbour Forks with Rob today. I ran it only once before and that was many, many years ago. I remembered it as having only one obstacle that was really difficult. Now however, there were at least 5 or 6 of them right at the early part of trail that required some pretty careful line selection and a bit of spotting. I was amazed I made it through without without banging or getting wheels off the ground (at least not that I'm aware of). Rob got one tire pretty high off the ground on one obstacle, and on another he had to work his way out of a hole with one tire that only wanted to spin. Rear lockers did the trick! There really weren't any bypasses to speak of, just a couple had some different lines you could try.

We managed to get a little off course at one point and ended up on a narrow, off-camber shelf-like area that was a bit white-knuckleing because some tree roots wanted to bounce you off. The worst part was, that trail dead-ended.:eek: We had to go in reverse a bit to get turned around one-by-one and head back to the proper route.

We both agreed that this trail is more on the difficult side than it is moderate. You have to repeat all of the difficult obstacles again on the way out, only downhill. I banged the rear end pretty hard on the last one on the way out (both rear tires just fell off the ledge - my bad):redface:. I'll try to get some pictures posted tomorrow.

On a final note, the trail was really clean. There was no one else on it today. I saw two or three bullet shells at the staging area and that was it. We really had a great time, but I think if I can do the clean-up run in September, I'll do Devils Canyon:lmao:

Jim
August 27th, 2020, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the nice write-up.

The StRanger
August 27th, 2020, 11:14 PM
I might have to make a run up there.
Thanks for the right up.

FINOCJ
August 28th, 2020, 08:25 AM
We managed to get a little off course at one point and ended up on a narrow, off-camber shelf-like area that was a bit white-knuckleing because some tree roots wanted to bounce you off. The worst part was, that trail dead-ended. We had to go in reverse a bit to get turned around one-by-one and head back to the proper route.

That junction and dead end trail is getting more and more confusing to newcomers as the dead end gets more and more accidental traffic.....We request a new carsonite sign at that junction every year as it seems to get destroyed. Any sign of long term squatters? We had some issue last year - the USFS was well aware and trying to address it wit local authorities. cheers

Jackie
August 28th, 2020, 04:46 PM
Fortunately it was just our two vehicles. Rob told me it happened once before when he was a group of 5 or 6. That would be a nightmare. I saw no signs of a squatter or even campers.

Jim
August 28th, 2020, 10:07 PM
This "missed a turn" might be the dead ender???

https://www.jimwilliamson.net/automobile/2017-07-15--barbour-fork/map_1.gif

FINOCJ
August 29th, 2020, 07:48 AM
Yup...that is the one commonly missed.

Jackie
August 29th, 2020, 08:22 PM
I believe so. Word to the wise: Try to avoid it!:erm:

The StRanger
August 29th, 2020, 11:03 PM
I’m tryin to think where the wrong turn is.

The meadow just past the creek ?

Jackie
August 30th, 2020, 07:50 AM
Sam, I think this is where we were:

The StRanger
August 30th, 2020, 08:54 PM
Ya, right before the big hill.
Must be kind of new. I don’t remember it.

GaryG
August 31st, 2020, 03:13 PM
We went down that dead end last fall cleanup :D