PDA

View Full Version : REX JEEP bolt on independent suspension

Java
September 2nd, 2020, 10:55 AM
Looks like a rollover waiting to happen. I think these could work with an active suspension, maybe a computer controlled airbag system, that would force the lower wheel down / load it when the other side went up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxNZiw0yY0A

Tom
September 2nd, 2020, 11:15 AM
Interesting. Wondering what it cost, not that I am even considering it. Guessing about 8k.

derf
September 2nd, 2020, 12:02 PM
I did a quick search and couldn't find any pricing information. I suspect it's because the kit is really expensive. Like well into 5 figures and the first number likely isn't a 1. $20K+ wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

Replacement solid axles with gears and all the parts push $10K. But even if you go with factory stock Jeep axles from Mopar, you're still into it for $5K or more. This is a full bolt on suspension kit (think how expensive lift kits are when you reuse factory independent suspension pieces and then add to that), along with all of the axle components. Differentials, knuckles, half shafts, unit bearings, brakes, springs, shocks, etc. all add up fast. And you're doing it at both ends of the Jeep so double that.

It's interesting as a publicity stunt and you may find a handful of Jeep owners that buy it but it's probably like that pickup truck conversion kit for the 4 door Wrangler. The kit with installation labor cost as much as the brand new Jeep you put it on so you were shelling out $80-90K for a completed Brute. With suspension and axle mods for bigger tires, you'd crest $100K easy.

newracer
September 2nd, 2020, 02:37 PM
It would be great if you want to bomb through the desert.

jayson44
September 8th, 2020, 02:24 PM
those rear axle shafts look tiny!

*snap snap*

J.