PDA

View Full Version : Barbour Fork August 24th

Chris
July 29th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Please post if Sunday, August 24th would work for you. The objective would be to dismantle the abandoned Bronco II and haul it away in pieces.

Also detail what tools you have to make this possible so we can determine feasibility.

:bow:

Patrolman
July 29th, 2008, 08:48 AM
I intend on being there. Likely that I will have 1 person riding with me as well.

As discussed, I have the truck, 1,000 pound 4x8 trailer, hoist in the back of the truck, 3,500w generator (needs tuneup), sawzall with metal blades, angle grinder with cutoff wheels, bfh, 60" hi-lift, winch, pull pal, 20' wide tie-down straps. Also have an air tank and a on board compressor to use some air tools. Have 1/2 impact, 3/8 air ratchet, sockets, angle grinder, air chisel, etc.

Telly
July 29th, 2008, 11:40 AM
I'm just throwing this out as an idea. I think winching/rolling/sliding the bronco down the trail in one piece to the level area just beyond the bronco may be more time/cost effective than cutting it up into pieces and hauling it out in several loads. If I remember correctly, the trail out was easy past the bronco to the gate. Does anyone think a truck pulling a car trailer could drive up to the level area and we could winch the whole truck onto the trailer?

Chris
July 29th, 2008, 12:09 PM
The obstacle after that (lunch) area may cause problems with a trailer behind a truck even with the bypass. Jeff mentioned hauling the parts down to a trailer as an option if we have some pickups willing to do that.

Patrolman
July 29th, 2008, 12:25 PM
After we left the Bronco on our 1st trail clean, I watched the road as we went down. I have a tow dolly which is about as wide as a car trailer. There is basically no way I could finagle my dolly through the trees and turns down to the open point.

I can load a truck load of stuff, take it just down the road to the open field. Then load it onto my trailer. Make another short trip back up to it to load the truck again. I figure I can get 2/3 of the total into my truck/trailer. Weight is the main restriction at about 2,600 pounds.

gragravar
July 30th, 2008, 08:46 AM
how late do we think the trail clean up will run on the 24th? Saturday I would have been wide open all day. Sunday I'll need to be able to be back up here in Brighton by ~6pm to grab my gear and make it to a hockey game I am playing in that night.

FWIW, I can offer up my trailer - its a pretty sturdy 5x8 trailer with a 3500lb capacity to haul parts out. The problem is that my RRC's trailer electrics are not working right and I dont know that I'll get the chance to trouble shoot them before the clean up day. that means someone else would need to come get the trailer if we want to use it.

as for tools, I can bring a battery operated sawzall, and cordless drill which is really good at turning bolts with a socket attachment.

4Runner3Wheeler
July 30th, 2008, 11:15 AM
I'm uncertain if I can attend as of yet, but I would like to revisit Barbour Fork and help get the Bronco II out. I have a cordless Dewalt sawzall and grinder. I also have a bfh and pry bar.

The hoist will likely come in very handy. A plasma cutter wouldn't hurt. Truck beds will be invaluable for hauling. I do have some straps to bring to help station loads for the trail down to the field.

I plan to be there, but am not certain if I can attend yet.

Patrolman
July 30th, 2008, 01:34 PM
I think that if we make that our agenda rather than an entire trail cleanup, we can easily be back by 6PM with 4-5 people working on the project. Would expect only a couple hours to have it all torn apart...

SCRubicon
July 30th, 2008, 05:02 PM
I think that if we make that our agenda rather than an entire trail cleanup, we can easily be back by 6PM with 4-5 people working on the project. Would expect only a couple hours to have it all torn apart...

What if we ran 2 crews? One on the Bronco and the other on trail trash.

Chris
July 30th, 2008, 05:14 PM
how late do we think the trail clean up will run on the 24th? Saturday I would have been wide open all day. Sunday I'll need to be able to be back up here in Brighton by ~6pm to grab my gear and make it to a hockey game I am playing in that night.

Making it back wouldn't be a problem at all, if we're not done anyone can take off to do what they need to do.

Sunday it is!

How we work it will depend on how many people show up. The cleanup has been good and there shouldn't be that much to take care of this time. The focus will be on the Bronco but not to the point of people working shoulder to shoulder which would be dangerous if everyone is wielding cutting tools.

The only other thing would be to get the adoption sign in place, maybe 2 people with a post hole digger for that.

Jeff, are you willing to take the lead on this? You have a much better handle on it all than I do so give it some thought.

:clap:

Chris
July 30th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Note the date change! It's now on Sunday August 25th!

EDIT - Sunday August 24th!

(Thanks gragravar)

gragravar
July 30th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Note the date change! It's now on Sunday August 25th!

um, I gotta learn to read a calendar :rant: (and I am not the only one - Sunday that week is the 24th.)

My need to learn to read the calendar is because, I cant make it on the 24th. I completely forgot that I have a car show to be in that day. If you guys aren't on the trail or are passing through the springs, stop by and see me showing the allroad at DATR.

http://www.dubsalongtherockies.com/

My car won 2nd in its class there last year. :clap: we'll see what I can pull off this year.

My offer to use my trailer is still open even if I cant make it if it is needed.

Sorry all. I was looking forward to this too. I'll get out on the trail eventually.

Chris
July 30th, 2008, 09:48 PM
:o Thanks.

Yes, Sunday August 25th.

Fortunately I have enough people that can read a calendar to keep my in line. :bow:

Pathrat
July 30th, 2008, 10:34 PM
I have the date on my calendar. I am not sure as of yet what we can contribute that will be useful, except for my good camera to document our deconstruction.

Patrolman
July 30th, 2008, 10:58 PM
I can certainly take the lead on this process. Not sure what has to happen with the signage, but I can speak with Chris about it and get it squared away. I do believe that having a clean up crew make a short run isn't a bad idea. Maybe folks who haven't previously made a clean up run? Certainly worth the drive! Beauty of a trail!

Other items that may be helpful would be a small-medium floor jack, some sort of jack stands, shovels, WD40, trash bags, drain pans, leather gloves, rubber gloves. Sure there are other items I can't remember.

Chris
July 31st, 2008, 06:16 AM
Thanks Jeff, don't worry about the sign that's easy enough. If you can orchestrate the dismantling and removal of the Bronco it would be great. Personally I think any more than 6 people may be overkill on that but you have the experience, know-how and tool experience to make sure we come well-equipped for the task.

I know you need to get the hoist in your truck and some prep work which I'm sure we can help with before hand as well so don't hesitate to ask for a hand with that too.

Patrolman
July 31st, 2008, 06:30 PM
I agree that 4-6 people working on the truck is a good #. I may have some "assistants" though getting tools and such. Sure that either a buddy or my wife will be with me. Either way, they aren't experienced with the tools so they can just be a helping hand.

I think that the only 2 things I need to do is install the hoist into the truck bed (only 4 bolts) and get the generator tuned up to go.

Does anyone have bolt cutters? That is about the 1 tool that I don't have which could really come in handy! Good for cutting things without making sparks/etc. I should actually ask if anyone has the jaws of life?!!!

KnuckleHead
July 31st, 2008, 08:20 PM
Ok I'm confused......... I see the 24th the 25th?????? Just took a look at the calender and I see that Aug 24th is Sunday that makes Aug 25th Monday. Is this a Sunday thing or Monday????????

Patrolman
July 31st, 2008, 08:47 PM
Sunday... Not sure who can't read the calendar.

Pathrat
July 31st, 2008, 09:48 PM
Other items that may be helpful would be a small-medium floor jack, some sort of jack stands, shovels, WD40, trash bags, drain pans, leather gloves, rubber gloves. Sure there are other items I can't remember.

If I can go, I will bring rubber gloves and spare work gloves: two sets.

IF ONLY I had jaws of life I could borrow

5280Hawk
August 4th, 2008, 08:12 AM
So does anyone have an acetylene torch? that would be the ticket.

I will likely be able to go as well, and i can bring my Tacoma, which will be better to get chunks of the Bronco out.

Patrolman
August 4th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Torches are certainly the way to get it done, but I think there were 2 concerns. One being, there still might be fuel in the tank. It is basically sitting up to the axles in dirt and pine cones, so hard to determine. Other concern is how dry things are. Open flames may not be allowed in the area. Can't go wrong really with sawzall's.

Chris
August 4th, 2008, 01:08 PM
I'm with you Jeff, we should certainly avoid anything that may cause a fire especially at this time of year. We don't want our names associated with anything like Hayman even if it does make things easier. :eek:

Jeff, do you have any kind of idea what we have coming as far as trucks to haul the stuff away? How many angles grinders/sawzalls can run off your generator?

Gate Monkey
August 5th, 2008, 07:33 AM
I have the date on my calendar. I will come in my stocker ranger to help haul out the peices.

Patrolman
August 5th, 2008, 08:41 AM
It sounds as though we have at least my truck/trailer and the Ranger. That should be adequate for hauling it off. 1 more wouldn't hurt, but we can manage with the 2. My generator should be able to power 2 tools. I can also have the compressor running. It will fill the airtank and you can get enough air to run an air tool. The compressor isn't nearly as fast a home compressor, but it works. Enough to remove bolts. I already have a "plan" sort of drawn out about the best way to attack this thing. Air tools will come in handy.

4Runner3Wheeler
August 5th, 2008, 09:32 AM
I may actually be out of town this weekend. I am playing it by ear. I'm hoping I can help.

Chris
August 5th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Who has air tools? We need to make Jeff's vision a reality. ;)

Chris
August 5th, 2008, 03:52 PM
I will likely be able to go as well, and i can bring my Tacoma, which will be better to get chunks of the Bronco out.

How does it look Ben? If you can make it that would be 3 pickups for hauling which would be great. I'm think an acetylene torch may not be a bad idea as long as we take proper precautions, anyone have one to bring?

Brody, are you going to be able to make it for sure? Barb says we need a medic on hand. :bow:

Pathrat
August 5th, 2008, 08:34 PM
I have the date on my calendar. I will come in my stocker ranger to help haul out the peices.

Where can we ulitmately dump stuff? Our HOA is just obnoxious and we have to work Monday.

Patrolman
August 5th, 2008, 09:37 PM
I have all the air tools. Don't worry about that. I believe that I also have an air chisel and other stuff which makes tearing things apart easier!

As for getting rid of stuff, I intend to drop it at a scrap yard on Monday morning. I will take as much as I can in my truck/trailer. The scrapper is only a mile away from me and I have Monday off. Anyone who ends up taking scrap home, they can call a metal scrapper to get rid of it. Worst case scenario, bring it to my place and I will take it over on Monday. All the $ will go to helping recoup costs of this venture (bbq lunch, sawzall blades, etc). Any $ left will go towards something to-be-determined at a later date. Sound fair?

Dirt Claude
August 6th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Alright, I had to check with the :princess: before I made the commitment, I'm in!

While I can't offer a pick-up truck or trailer, I can help out with the acetylene torch if needed. I've actually got two of them and will be looking to get rid of one of them very soon, if anyone is interested! I'm a newbie to the blue torch, so maybe this could be a good learning experience for those who have never used one before. Other than point and cut, I know of no other techniques for using it. I also might be able to round up another generator. Do we have a need for it?

- Brad

Chris
August 6th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Hey Brad, glad you can make it! I may be interested in your second acetylene torch, I'm an old school welder from my aircraft mechanic school days and have been thinking of trying to get back into it.

I'm in favor of bringing the set as well as another generator. I'll defer to Jeff's preference on it though.

:clap:

Pathrat
August 6th, 2008, 03:06 PM
...Anyone who ends up taking scrap home, they can call a metal scrapper to get rid of it. ...

Do you mean someone will pick it up? Before I spin my wheels with something I know nothing about, can you give me the name or number of someone you have gone through or know of that does this, if I have your intent right?

Thanks

Chris
August 6th, 2008, 03:15 PM
AFAIK, you have to bring it to them

Pathrat
August 7th, 2008, 10:13 PM
As far as packing crap out, two things:

I got a coupon in the mail today for All Recycling North. They take scrap cars and assorted sundry auto parts like radiators. I have a coupon for an additional $10 per ton for steel and junk car pieces. I still am not sure how we are going to get the stuff there. It is on 58th and Washington so there is a chance I can drive GateMonkey's Ranger there before heading south on Washington towards work.

Chris, do you have any indication that we could get help from the forest service guys disposing of the scrap?

Chris
August 8th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Chris, do you have any indication that we could get help from the forest service guys disposing of the scrap?

None, they have to pay to get someone to pick it up. :(

Patrolman
August 8th, 2008, 09:31 AM
I think that "worst case" would be dropping the stuff more or less in my driveway. I am located pretty central. I can haul it all off on Monday morning. Hopefully we can find enough trucks that we don't have to unload, but it wouldn't be the end of the world! I also have a 2nd trailer that someone could tow there. It is a larger trailer that holds 2,000 pounds. I would bring it, but the little truck will have a load in it already so I am bringing my smaller trailer. The larger one still isn't huge. It is an old Dodge pickup truck bed converted to a trailer. Has a 3/4 ton FF axle. Easily hauls 2,000 pounds but has not trailer brakes. I don't think we will need it if there is 1 other vehicle that can haul scrap.

In regards to the torch, bring it please! Better to have it and not need it! I might be interested in a purchase if Chris decides not to. Have a very small MIG, so a torch would be nice.

Chris
August 8th, 2008, 09:37 AM
I have a very small acetylene, long hoses w/small tanks that's at my daughter's that I totally forgot about. What size tanks do you have Brad? Maybe we can do a mix & match Jeff ;)

Tye
August 9th, 2008, 06:46 AM
Real close to the plant where I'm working in Commerce City is a scrap metal place, its paying pretty well right now. I would like to see our efforts go towards putting some cash ola' into Front Range 4x4 t-shirt fund or something along those lines. I can get info. on Monday, I thought we had that part figured out. :fr4x4:

Brody
August 9th, 2008, 08:40 AM
My calendar shows that August 25th is a Monday. So, is everyone taking Monday off of work to do a trail clean up or did something get screwed up? I thought that the clean up was scheduled for the 23rd......

Tye
August 9th, 2008, 09:18 AM
25th was a "oops" :confused:

Patrolman
August 9th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Somebody (not saying names) screwed up the dates. It was originally slated for Saturday the 23rd. Then I proposed Sunday. Someone said the 25th was good. Sunday is actually the 24th though. Current plan is Sunday the 24th. Reason being that scrap yards aren't open on Sunday. In the interest of only having scrap in the truck for 24 hours, we are doing the run Sunday to dump on Monday.

Chris
August 9th, 2008, 09:21 AM
I don't know where this 25th came from :rolleyes:

Like the title says "Barbour Fork August 24th"

That is a Sunday. :thunb:

Pathrat
August 9th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Real close to the plant where I'm working in Commerce City is a scrap metal place, its paying pretty well right now. I would like to see our efforts go towards putting some cash ola' into Front Range 4x4 t-shirt fund or something along those lines. I can get info. on Monday, I thought we had that part figured out. :fr4x4:

Is that the one on 58th & Washington?

Brody
August 10th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Being in Purgatory during the week, time is different, so I seldom look at a calendar, but it is good to know the right date. I'll try to make this clean up.

Is a generator going to be available? I have a couple of 4" grinders and a sazall that I can bring.

Might want to bring a syphon hose and a gas can in case there is some left over gas in the tank, especially if we are going to be using a torch.

Patrolman
August 10th, 2008, 10:09 AM
I still need to get working on the generator to make sure it all works OK. Should just need a good tuneup. It should power a couple tools at once.

A couple other things that might be nice:
Cardboard to lay on
Plastic sheeting in case we have to drain fluids
Oil pan

Tye
August 11th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Is that the one on 58th & Washington?

This scrap yard is on Brighton Blvd. north of the plant, but it some what close to 58th & Washington.

If for some insane reason the one hauling the trailer wanted to hook up I could show them where it is. I dont have trailer hook up lights or I would be more than happy to haul.

Tye
August 12th, 2008, 06:08 PM
I am going up Saturday and making camp I think we more than a one day project, plus it gives me a reason to spend 2 days in "tha' wood". Steve said he is gonna camp as well. Camp will be at the lunch site since it will be at the bottom of the trail near the wreck.:cool:

KnuckleHead
August 12th, 2008, 10:00 PM
I have this one set with the SO. We are planing on makeing this one. I will have my Ranger that can haul off some of the scrap. I'll be running all stock so I you think I can make it to the B2 then cool, if not we can run some down and fill it.

Patrolman
August 12th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Anyone running a Ranger or Bronco II may want to put "dibs" on things. Sure there will be parts and pieces that are still useable. Obviously it goes to the crusher if it doesn't find a home some other way. Axles/t-case/tranny/driveshafts were all intact apparently.

KnuckleHead
August 12th, 2008, 10:10 PM
You make a good point. I'll have to see what kind of shape it's in. I'll take what I can of the drive train. Front, rear axles etc. I just put the hitch on this weekend just need to wire it for a trailer. Maybe I can use my neighbors.?

Chris
August 13th, 2008, 11:39 AM
A couple other things that might be nice:
Cardboard to lay on
Plastic sheeting in case we have to drain fluids
Oil pan

I'll bring platic sheeting/tarp and drain pan.

4Runner3Wheeler
August 13th, 2008, 03:41 PM
I cannot attend due to work. This is also likely the case for Ben, 5280Hawk. If you need to borrow my Dewalt cordless grinder, we can meet before next weekend. Have fun and take pics!

Chris
August 13th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Thanks for posting Andy, darned jobs ;)

Hmm, that would eliminate Ben's Tundra as one of the pickups IIRC.

Jeff, any chance you have a recap of who, what we have for this?

Patrolman
August 13th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Yep, will do a re-cap this weekend. Figured I would give everyone until then to voice in. Then I will make a "tally" of who/what we have. Post up what I believe is going on and if we are short on anything.

Chris
August 13th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Thanks Jeff!

Pathrat
August 13th, 2008, 08:31 PM
I am going up Saturday and making camp I think we more than a one day project, plus it gives me a reason to spend 2 days in "tha' wood". Steve said he is gonna camp as well. Camp will be at the lunch site since it will be at the bottom of the trail near the wreck.:cool:

Can we just camp in that gravel lot just before the Springs Lodge? Those people we passed on the way up looked like they were having so much fun. We could have loud music and lots o' Bud.

Pathrat
August 13th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Jeff: we have a stocker 2001 Ranger coming up (Gatemonkey had agreed to take the risk of bringing his shiny new truck), cardboard, a non-cordless sawzall (like everyone, tell me if I need to bring it) and extra gloves. I have a good corded impact driver but, again, no power source.

Patrolman
August 14th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Jeff: we have a stocker 2001 Ranger coming up (Gatemonkey had agreed to take the risk of bringing his shiny new truck), cardboard, a non-cordless sawzall (like everyone, tell me if I need to bring it) and extra gloves. I have a good corded impact driver but, again, no power source.

The cordless sawzall would be great. The more that we have that is cordless, the less we have to rely on the generator. I should have an answer Monday or Tuesday regarding whether I think the generator is up to par for handling the task. Needs a good tune anyways in prep for winter power outs. If I can't get mine tuned, I likely have access to a slightly smaller machine.

Pathrat
August 14th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Jeff, no, sorry I said "non-cordless" sawzall to illustrate that I have no useful tools for this. I apologize for not being clear.
I did score a cool metal 5 gal. bucket with a seal and lid, full of absorbent material (originally used to ship methyl-butane)

I should be able to take pieces to the scrapyard Monday as I have that day off. Just please send with me parts the yard is sure to take since I don't have anywhere else to put the leftovers.

KnuckleHead
August 16th, 2008, 02:56 PM
I'm not sure if this is fesable or not, but could the frame and drive train come out all together? If so I would be willing to take it and the motor if there is one. I think this might help out with how much work would need to be done to cut it all up and carry out. I have yet to make it up there so any insight from someone that has would be great. Thank you

Chris
August 16th, 2008, 05:15 PM
If you have a way to take it intact I think we could do it. It's buried to the axles so some tugging will be required but I doubt it would be damaged. Not sure the condition of the frame we can't see. How would you get it off the trail?

KnuckleHead
August 16th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Is there any room for a trailer? Or even a spot that we might beable to get it down to a trailer? I have a trailer that I can use with my ranger. I just hope that it will pull them both. I think it will beable to with just the frame and all. With the whole body I'm not so sure....? I'm not really sure what the ranger can do just yet or what the towing cap is. I have some shovles I can bring to dig around the tires if that helps out.

Chris
August 16th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Jeff, what do you think?

Brody
August 17th, 2008, 08:04 AM
The 24th works for me, but LaDawn is going to be doing a big custom home open house. I have a Sazall I can bring, along with some bi-metal blades. I also have a cordless 4"grinder that might help. I have some air tools, too.

My thoughts are:

Butcher the body/body mounts off and winch the body apart. Crush the body parts. If we can get the rest of the frame/motor assembly winched onto a trailer from this point, it would be good. We might need some 2x stock for a ramp. I am not sure what we still have left at the job site in Bubbaville, but I will try to booty what we have up there.

Patrolman
August 17th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Is there any room for a trailer? Or even a spot that we might beable to get it down to a trailer? I have a trailer that I can use with my ranger. I just hope that it will pull them both. I think it will beable to with just the frame and all. With the whole body I'm not so sure....? I'm not really sure what the ranger can do just yet or what the towing cap is. I have some shovles I can bring to dig around the tires if that helps out.

I really don't think that any trailer that a frame could fit onto would be able to fit up the trail. I also don't think there is any way that this is coming out complete. Just personal opinion. It is a pretty right spot and the trail to an open area has some fairly tight turns that would be nearly impossible to tow it out.

I think the way to do it is to simply take the body off in pieces like Brody said. That clearly has absolutely no value. Then the frame can be cut into 3 or 4 pieces. Leaving the axles/trans/engine intact with those pieces is a possibility. They could be loaded and pulled out pretty easy. Again, the frame has no value without a title so may as well hack it up. We still don't know the condition of the axles as the rig is buried up to the axles in dirt/erosion.

Sounds like we have all the tools/help that we need. I will review it and post up what/who we are expecting shortly.

Chris
August 17th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Almost done with Bubbaville Pete?

My question on getting the frame out intact which I'm all in favor of if 85fsbronco can use it, would be the obstacle exiting that area. IIRC it would be too much for most trailers since the turns are pretty sharp. (http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/member.php?u=109)

Happy, this is a Bronco II if that makes a difference to what you could use from it.

Chris
August 17th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Thanks Jeff, posted about the same time!

Looking forward to your summary of people, equipment!

Patrolman
August 17th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Please correct/clarify any of this info. Just a quick review of the postings here:

Chris: possible Torch, tarp, drain pan

Patrolman: truck, trailer, hoist, sawzall, grinder, generator, BFH, pry bars, winch, pullpal, shovels, straps, hi-lift, compressor, air tools, cordless drill

Telly: unsure of status to make it

SCRubicon: unsure of status to make it

Jimmy: unsure of status to make it

Pathrat: rubber gloves, work gloves, cardboard, sawzall, impact driver, 5gal bucket, absorbent material.

85FSBronco: Pickup truck

5280Hawk: Pickup truck

Gate Monkey: Pickup truck

Dirt Claude: Torch, possible generator

Brody: Angle grinders, sawzall, cordless 4” grinder, air tools.

Tye: unsure of status to make it

4Runner3wheeler has offered a cordless grinder even though he can not attend

Patrolman
August 17th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Also, due to the precipitation we got over the last 3 days, I think using a torch is a pretty safe bet. We should still avoid fuel/oil with it. Should also have fire extinguishers on hand.

Do we have trash bags or sacks to put all the junk into? Maybe a trash can or two?

Also, anyone interested in BBQ lunch?

I don't believe that we have a time setup to start this whole day or a meeting place. From experience, this shouldn't take more than 3 hours to have torn apart and in vehicles. That is on the high end of estimates with power tools.

Pathrat
August 17th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Patrolman: My sawzall and impact driver are NOT cordless, they need juice. Are you still wanting me to bring them? IF so, would be happy to.

Patrolman
August 17th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Yep, I saw they are corded. I hope to have the generator. I would say throw them in, just in case. Should know about the generator in a day or two. Need a rain free afternoon to give it a tuneup!

Chris
August 17th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Good recap Jeff, I won't have a torch but will bring the drain pan and tarp.

KnuckleHead
August 17th, 2008, 01:11 PM
I can bring trash bags. I have like 3 boxes of 500 each. I can get more from work so it's no big deal. As for the B2 frame, I'm planing on putting a 72 Super Bettle on it. So as for the title I'm not really sure if I would need it or not. If it can't be done safely or at all thats fine, there are others that I can find to use. Just thinking this one might work on the cheap. If the axels are any good I would still like to grab those. I'll still come prepared just in case. Thanks for all the info.

Chris
August 17th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Cool Happy, of course any usable parts should go to re-use rather than the scrap yard. I won't start a hijack of this thread but sometime you'll have to post your Beetle build ;)

Patrolman
August 17th, 2008, 01:46 PM
I can bring trash bags. I have like 3 boxes of 500 each. I can get more from work so it's no big deal. As for the B2 frame, I'm planing on putting a 72 Super Bettle on it. So as for the title I'm not really sure if I would need it or not. If it can't be done safely or at all thats fine, there are others that I can find to use. Just thinking this one might work on the cheap. If the axels are any good I would still like to grab those. I'll still come prepared just in case. Thanks for all the info.

Do you have a couple spare tires to throw on it? There isn't any good rubber on it now. We might be able to drag it out somehow with some tires on it.

KnuckleHead
August 17th, 2008, 09:56 PM
I can stop by the junk yard on Saterday and pick some up. Next question I have is, does anyone know if my Ranger can pull that weight? I have an 84 2.8 5 speed manual 7.5 rear end with 31x10.5x15 , the trailer is 16ft with a tilt bed and hand crank winch. It will be on a hitch not the bumper.

Pathrat
August 17th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Do we have trash bags or sacks to put all the junk into? Maybe a trash can or two?

I have a garbage can to donate but just no where to put it if WM won't take something away that is not in one of their special green cans.

Chris
August 18th, 2008, 11:23 AM
We'll meet Sunday August 24th at the Forest Service office on the Mt Evans exit @ 9:00am. Brant and his guy will be going with us on ATV's and plan to patrol the area.

He will have our sign as well as plans for a larger signboard for Barbour Forks. I also plan to talk to him about adopting Devil's Canyon (close to BF) for next year since he's asked if we'd be interested in that too.

Patrolman
August 18th, 2008, 02:21 PM
We'll meet Sunday August 24th at the Forest Service office on the Mt Evans exit @ 9:00am. Brant and his guy will be going with us on ATV's and plan to patrol the area.

He will have our sign as well as plans for a larger signboard for Barbour Forks. I also plan to talk to him about adopting Devil's Canyon (close to BF) for next year since he's asked if we'd be interested in that too.

That is great! Glad that someone will be there to sort of supervise. Also good to know that they can consider us to help pitch in for more!

Patrolman
August 18th, 2008, 02:24 PM
I can stop by the junk yard on Saterday and pick some up. Next question I have is, does anyone know if my Ranger can pull that weight? I have an 84 2.8 5 speed manual 7.5 rear end with 31x10.5x15 , the trailer is 16ft with a tilt bed and hand crank winch. It will be on a hitch not the bumper.

Just from experience towing with my 87 Toyota 2.4 and 5 speed, I would say that you will be fine. Most of the weight will be on the trailer axles rather than the tongue. I have towed several vehicles with my Toyota, usually on a tow dolly. The worst thing about the dolly is not having additional braking capacity. Hopefully the trailer does for making the trip down I-70. If not, at least it is a 5 speed so you can keep it geared down. This thing won't weigh all that much by the time it is on the trailer.

Tye
August 18th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Please correct/clarify any of this info. Just a quick review of the postings here:

Chris: possible Torch, tarp, drain pan

Patrolman: truck, trailer, hoist, sawzall, grinder, generator, BFH, pry bars, winch, pullpal, shovels, straps, hi-lift, compressor, air tools, cordless drill

Telly: unsure of status to make it

SCRubicon: unsure of status to make it

Jimmy: unsure of status to make it

Pathrat: rubber gloves, work gloves, cardboard, sawzall, impact driver, 5gal bucket, absorbent material.

85FSBronco: Pickup truck

5280Hawk: Pickup truck

Gate Monkey: Pickup truck

Dirt Claude: Torch, possible generator

Brody: Angle grinders, sawzall, cordless 4” grinder, air tools.

Tye: unsure of status to make it

4Runner3wheeler has offered a cordless grinder even though he can not attend

Hey Jeff, I'll be there. I,m gonna go Saturday and camp tha nite...I have a sawsall and a 750 amp power inverter that I run it of off. I will grab a 5 gallon water bottle from work, and I just might oughta grab fire exstuisher or two since I already see sparks flying ,I also have a fire blanket I'll bring.

Tye
August 18th, 2008, 08:56 PM
I AINT MISSING THIS :eek:

Patrolman
August 18th, 2008, 08:59 PM
I AINT MISSING THIS :eek:

Wouldn't want you to miss it! Glad that we will have a fire blanket too. One sawzall on an inverter is actually most of what we will need. The generator and another saw/grinder will be nice. Will work on the generator tomorrow. Today was a long day.

Chris
August 18th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Anyone want to volunteer to man (or woman) the post hole digger for the signpost? We can't all cut up the Bronco as previously discussed.

Tye
August 18th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Anyone want to volunteer to man (or woman) the post hole digger for the signpost? We can't all cut up the Bronco as previously discussed.

That is true...I can dig holes if nobody else want to :smokin:

Hey Chris...I was going through my copy of Peterson off road mag and there is a is a group that adopted a trail some where else and they have a sticker stating that they are off road Volunteers, I'll bring it and let you see it, it even has the Forest Service logo on it...

Pathrat
August 18th, 2008, 10:03 PM
I was going through my tool boxes today and I don't have any ratchet-type attatchments for my driver. Might not be so useful for removing bolts unless someone has a few we can use. I have about a billion phillips head bits though! :D

Brody
August 19th, 2008, 05:32 AM
Most of the 4x magazines have section where they post trail clean ups and adoptions. They are all for this as it shows a positive attitude on the part of off road users and supports the sport, too. This would be a good way for us to get some more exposure, complete with pictures. Thre are a number of us on this site with the ability to write the article(which thay will edit down radically). The Forest Service also provides the 'volunteer' stickers for participating clubs doing clean ups. We should ask for some.

Chris
August 19th, 2008, 07:01 AM
I saw the article and photo Tye. IIRC it named the club on the sticker which would indicate it was made by the club. I think it would be good PR for someone experienced in writing (like Pete ;)) to submit a writeup to Peterson's etc. The removal of the Bronco is a bit more dramatci than the removal of beer cans. We can ask about the stickers too but I've never seen any locally.

Tye, thanks for the offer to dig the hole. I recall you made short work of the signage the first trip. :bow:

5280Hawk
August 19th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Chris, I am going to have to cancel, I am having to work this weekend to get ready for the DNC. :(

Oh well, it's overtime and i can use the extra $ for the 60!!!

Chris
August 19th, 2008, 11:06 AM
We'll miss you Ben but somebody has to keep things ready for next week. :thunb:

Dirt Claude
August 19th, 2008, 12:08 PM
I'm planning on picking up the generator and torch from my parent's house tonight. I'll give both of them a look over tonight to make sure they are up to par. If I have any issues, I'll report back tomorrow, otherwise I'll plan on bringing them up with me to the trail.

- Brad

Tye
August 19th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Chris, since I'm camping I will stop and sign at the Ranger Station Saturday, I dont want to go back and do it Sunday morning:cheers: if I dont got too. I will get a small jump on the dismantle.

Rocky Mountain Recycle when I stopped in today said they wont take anything flamable or liquids which would be a hazard to them or us ( propane bottles, motor oil ) along those lines.

Chris
August 19th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Thanks Tye, what time do you think you'll be getting there? I'll let Brant know to expect you.

We'll drain anything in the truck if there's anything to be drained.

Tye
August 19th, 2008, 08:23 PM
I just talked to Steve and discussed what time we should be leaving here, I'll let you know.

Patrolman
August 19th, 2008, 10:52 PM
It was my understanding that you don't have to sign in again once you have signed the doc's once. Maybe I am mistaken, but good to check in with them.

Glad that someone else will have a generator and a torch! My generator is still being grumpy. Makes a great 100lb paper weight!

Chris
August 20th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Jeff, anything I can do to help get that generator working?

You're right about the "checking in" and I can do that for anyone. Tye's picking up our adoption sign.

Patrolman
August 20th, 2008, 09:33 AM
The generator has been an ongoing issue since I got it a year or so ago. Here is the lowdown:

Paid $150ish for a 3500 watt Craftsman. It should sell used for $350ish. The lady said her hubby knows less about mechanical stuff than her. Apparently it was low on fuel when they used it the 1 and only time. He said the fuel can was on the shelf in the garage. She filled it up and it continued to run. Runs pretty crappy now and smells like 2-stroke. Figure she put in the fuel from the mower into it. I cleaned the tank and thought that would do it. I bet there is oil sludge in the carb and on the float. Will have to tear into it to resolve it. No biggie, just frustrating.

Glad that we have another generator and an inverter. My dad has a smaller Honda generator that I might snag as well. Don't forget fuel for the generators! Also don't forget cutting blades for the saws or wheels for the grinders. Goes without saying that safety glasses and leather gloves are priority!

Chris
August 20th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Goes without saying that safety glasses and leather gloves are priority!

I'll say it: Safety glasses and leather gloves are priority! ;)

Patrolman
August 20th, 2008, 03:20 PM
I have several extra pair of leather gloves. Will try to remember to bring them. Please try to bring your own as mine will only be "spares" for those who either forgot or don't have them.

KnuckleHead
August 20th, 2008, 05:36 PM
I guess I should get some directions before it gets to late. I'll be comeing from I-70 and Peoria.

Tye
August 20th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Jeff, anything I can do to help get that generator working?

You're right about the "checking in" and I can do that for anyone. Tye's picking up our adoption sign.

That can be done (sign) I also have (3) 2 1/2 lb. fire exstinguishers from work I will grab safety glasses (clear) and some leather gloves... we cant have anyone getting injured during this project since safety is what I do.
I know we all want to rip into this truck but we should have someone as a fire watch, I know what your thinking but again safety is my game. :thunb:

Chris do we need hard hats... I'm bring my own this time. How some goggles?

Chris
August 21st, 2008, 02:46 PM
I guess I should get some directions before it gets to late. I'll be comeing from I-70 and Peoria.

I-70 west to Idaho Springs, watch for the Mt Evans exit and Forest Service Information signs, take that exit (sorry, I don't know the name)

We're meeting in the Forest Service parking lot - the first building on your right after taking the exit. Look for some nice 4x4's, that'll be us. Give yourself 60 minutes to get there.

:cheers:

Pathrat
August 21st, 2008, 09:15 PM
UPDATE FOR PATHRAT AND FAMILY

Add another body to the count, my 16 year old son is coming with us. That means I don't have extra gloves but I did acquire two boxes of latex gloves, M and L.

What about chain? I have a sturdy, although rusty, standard tow chain.

Sledge? Got it, need it?

People are bringing wrenches?

I don't have the socket attachment to the driver drill I am bringing
(Patrolman, I think I called it the wrong name...it is a driver drill). Does anyone have any socket type bits to take bolts out?

Chris
August 22nd, 2008, 07:41 AM
I say "bring what you got" and if it's needed we'll have it. :thunb:

Got the lift mounted Jeff?

Dirt Claude
August 22nd, 2008, 08:43 AM
I got the generator fired up last night, it should be ready to go. The torch is working as well, but may need some fine adjustment on the regulators. Or I just might need some better instruction on how to use it! I'll plan on bringing both of them up.

Chris
August 22nd, 2008, 08:51 AM
Good to hear Brad! Did you determine if you have an extra acetylene setup?

Dirt Claude
August 22nd, 2008, 09:06 AM
Funny you should ask Chris. I finally got around to taking some pictures of it last night and checking it out. I just posted it up in the for sale section. Let me know what you think.

Chris
August 22nd, 2008, 09:21 AM
Just saw them, pretty much what I have, was hoping for large tanks. :(

Patrolman
August 22nd, 2008, 09:31 AM
The lift is getting mounted into the truck today. It is just 4 simple bolts into the back of the bed. No biggie. Glad that we got a generator. I will also have the trailer loaded up and ready to go. Plan on bringing 2 portable compressor units, hose, air tools, sockets. Also have a hand sledge. If someone wants to bring a long sledge, that is good. I have several pry bars as well. Will bring as many extra leather gloves as I can round up. I also have a tow chain, snatch block, tree saver, etc. Anyone bringing a floor jack? I have a good sized one, but a medium to small should suffice. Super handy to have.

Chris
August 22nd, 2008, 10:50 AM
I have a small floor jack I'll bring. Anyone with scrap plywood sheets should bring some to use as ground support for jacks etc if needed.

Patrolman
August 22nd, 2008, 06:17 PM
The hoist is mounted into the truck. Checked on compressor and it took a crap. The other one is slower, but should work fine for minor air tool use.

Is there a plan for food yet?

Chris
August 22nd, 2008, 07:15 PM
]Is there a plan for food yet?

If Brad brings the acetylene torch we can cook hot dogs real fast :rolleyes:

Patrolman
August 22nd, 2008, 07:49 PM
Happy to bring the propane bbq and dogs again if people are up for that. Likely will just for myself, but others are more than welcome to use it.

Brody
August 23rd, 2008, 08:55 AM
I saw the meeting place as being the FS parking lot, but got tired of looking for a meeting time on the posts.

What time are we going to meet?

PS

I loaned my sazall to one of my bosses as they were working this weekend at the job and needed one. Got most of the other BS, though. See you all Sunday if I can find the meeting time.

Chris
August 23rd, 2008, 08:57 AM
I saw the meeting place as being the FS parking lot, but got tired of looking for a meeting time on the posts.

What time are we going to meet?

PS

I loaned my sazall to one of my bosses as they were working this weekend at the job and needed one. Got most of the other BS, though. See you all Sunday if I can find the meeting time.

Sorry Pete, 9am ;)

Patrolman
August 23rd, 2008, 02:31 PM
Trailer is loaded up with the stake sides on it. I tossed the propane bbq in the back of the truck for anyone that is interested. I will likely be grilling dogs so anyone else is welcome to grille.

Chris
August 23rd, 2008, 04:37 PM
Thanks Jeff, nice to know you'll have the grill and since we didn't get anything together on food we can fend for ourselves.

Tye called this morning from the FS office after waiting for an hour. I told him to go and have fun and we'd get the sign Sunday. They were going to try to get some wheels under the Bronco today and get a head start on it.

Funrover
August 23rd, 2008, 04:40 PM
They did, I gave them some extra wheels and Steve had extra wheels, the BII is now in the meadow from last I heard!

Chris
August 23rd, 2008, 04:50 PM
Wow! That's going to make things a lot easier. Looks like you may be able to get that frame Happy!

:confused: for anyone that doesn't know - Happy is 85fsbronco's real name.

Thanks for the update Aaron! :clap:

Pathrat
August 23rd, 2008, 04:58 PM
They did, I gave them some extra wheels and Steve had extra wheels, the BII is now in the meadow from last I heard!

FOR SERIOUS?:eek: WOW Did they put a chain on it and yank or what?

oh, and I have brownies for tomorrow.

Patrolman
August 23rd, 2008, 05:26 PM
Holy cow! Hopefully they took pics! This should come apart in a snap. Will be a super easy morning!

Funrover
August 23rd, 2008, 06:40 PM
I am not sure how, I just talked to them on the phone!

KnuckleHead
August 23rd, 2008, 07:17 PM
Sweet deal!!! I went to the junk yard today and picked up some rims and tires, have them loaded and ready to go. I see that they have some already...... should I unload mine or bring them just incase? Also I was unable to get the trailer I wanted to use but do have another one. This one is smaller and lighter. It's about 10' long x 5-5.5' wide. I have some 2x8x10 wood planks to use + some 2x4s + 4x4s. Also have shovles, chain, some tools, straps, trash bags, hand cleaner with water if anyone wants to use it and paper towels.

Chris
August 23rd, 2008, 08:27 PM
I still think we should bring whatever we planned though I'm not bringing the floor jack, doesn't seem like there's any need.

Hope they got some pics too, trying to recall if it even had a steering wheel to help get it around the tight turns. :eek:

Hats off to Tye & Steve for going above and beyond and ensuring we'll easily have it gone tomorrow.

:bow: