PDA

View Full Version : Pennsylvania Gulch

Gretchen
January 28th, 2021, 05:52 AM
I happened to be in the area of Pennsylvania Gulch yesterday so I decided to give it a try since I had never been up it before. I traveled 1/2 mile or so on an 1 1/2" of snow and a few icy patches underneath until the difficulty level increased. Under dry conditions this trail would be a non-issue. I thought about running a winch line through this one little section but since the rest of the trail was an unknown I erred on the side of caution and turned around. Has anyone else run this trail in the winter?

open_circuit
January 28th, 2021, 07:40 AM
The top of penn gulch has a big ledge and a very tippy gully that throws your driver side roof very close to the ground and some trees. In the dry it is a fun challenge, but in the ice and snow it exceeds my comfort level for body damage. I have not run Penn Gulch in the snow.

Gretchen
January 28th, 2021, 08:25 AM
The top of penn gulch has a big ledge and a very tippy gully that throws your driver side roof very close to the ground and some trees. In the dry it is a fun challenge, but in the ice and snow it exceeds my comfort level for body damage. I have not run Penn Gulch in the snow.

Thanks Trent, I'm glad I did not pursue it any farther. I guess I'll be waiting until Spring.

open_circuit
January 28th, 2021, 08:38 AM
The gully I'm talking about is in this video. I think the link should start at the gully section. The video is pretty old and it has eroded a lot since 2015.

https://youtu.be/iB2-lePgp-M?t=200

A more recent video of the section:

https://youtu.be/WGSqTaAF1ss?t=285

RockyMtRebel
January 28th, 2021, 12:09 PM
Good call backing down, I’ve run it in winter and it can be sketchy! Go with at least one other when wheeling whenever possible just in case!!!

Gretchen
January 29th, 2021, 05:29 AM
Thanks Trent, Unfortunately the video did not show the one spot that gave me pause. I would have been ok with what was on the video. There's that one spot a 1/2 mi. in that has potential to slide off the shelf road if the conditions are just right. Shelf roads make me nervous when there's snow on them. Sweet Joy :)

Gretchen
January 29th, 2021, 05:33 AM
Good call backing down, I’ve run it in winter and it can be sketchy! Go with at least one other when wheeling whenever possible just in case!!!

What were the snow conditions like when you did it and did you have to winch through any of it?

RockyMtRebel
January 29th, 2021, 07:15 AM
I’ve done it a few times and when I did in the winter there is a section where ice collects and although I made it without winching I had to winch someone up it. This trail is not a great winter trail for that reason, just too shady and snowy/icy all winter.

xaza
January 29th, 2021, 07:29 AM
Chains make a huge difference when dealing with ice. Just watch my last video of Yankee Hill. All the other trucks getting up speed to try and have momentum up the hill to slide their way through versus me with chains just cruising up it slow and easy. If there is snow at the bottom of the trail, I chain up instead of airing down.

Gretchen
January 29th, 2021, 08:25 AM
I’ve done it a few times and when I did in the winter there is a section where ice collects and although I made it without winching I had to winch someone up it. This trail is not a great winter trail for that reason, just too shady and snowy/icy all winter.

Well now I want to do it. :D

Gretchen
January 29th, 2021, 08:31 AM
Chains make a huge difference when dealing with ice. Just watch my last video of Yankee Hill. All the other trucks getting up speed to try and have momentum up the hill to slide their way through versus me with chains just cruising up it slow and easy. If there is snow at the bottom of the trail, I chain up instead of airing down.

I am not opposed to chains but I can say that I am a little to lazy for chains. I like to air down, I like the nice soft ride. The last time I used chains was 25 years ago when I slide off one of the shelf roads in the Rollinsville area. It was early winter with snow and ice, that was a crazy day. I don't know were your video's are? The forums are kind of new to me.

open_circuit
January 29th, 2021, 08:34 AM
I am not opposed to chains but I can say that I am a little to lazy for chains. I like to air down, I like the nice soft ride. The last time I used chains was 25 years ago when I slide off one of the shelf roads in the Rollinsville area. It was early winter with snow and ice, that was a crazy day. I don't know were your video's are? The forums are kind of new to me.

I think this is the run he is referring to. There's a link to a youtube video in the first post. I don't think it is obvious how to find the video to a new user -- I remembered Xaza posting about the run, so I looked through his post history to find this thread since I knew which thread I was looking for. If you didn't know where to look already, it can be pretty hard to find something like this around here.

https://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?28459-Central-City-1-10-21&p=340605#post340605

Jim
January 29th, 2021, 08:56 AM
Well now I want to do it.

I think you should start a planning thread and see how many jump in. I might...