PDA

View Full Version : Wheeler Lake Sat. Aug. 16

4Runninfun
August 2nd, 2008, 02:13 PM
My cousin is going to be in town for a few days and he wants to get out wheeling. So i'm thinking wheeler lake is a good trail to do. Who else wants to join?

Brody
August 2nd, 2008, 06:46 PM
I ran Wheeler last Wednesday evening with a guy from work. I did the hardest lines with open diffs and street pressure for grins...

It was really nice with no wind, snow or rain. Watch the weather if you get a chance as Wednesday and Thursday were the only days in the last 3 weeks that it hasn't been raining up there. That area is visible from my motel in Fairplay, so the weather is easy to watch. We have been getting rain up there almost every day for the last month-sometimes all day long, but generally in the evenings.

I'll post up the weather patterns next Friday or Saturday when I get home to help you with your planning.

Also, when you get up there, you might want to walk up the closed road on your left when you face the lake. There is an old 1930's wreck up there. Try to figure out how they managed to get that to where it ended up....

Discodude19
August 3rd, 2008, 03:56 PM
I'm in!!!

4Runninfun
August 3rd, 2008, 05:56 PM
:thunb:

Pathrat
August 3rd, 2008, 09:52 PM
Wheeler is too much for me, glad you posted up though.

4Runninfun
August 4th, 2008, 12:04 AM
if you wanna go your FJ can handle it. Last year we took a stock Disco up no problems. He even had SMALLER than stock tires if you can imagine that!

Jamie
August 4th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Can't go, I will be half way around the world on Kwajalien Island. Bummer.

Warrlord
August 4th, 2008, 09:16 AM
I'd love to go, gotta see if I can get out of a prior arrangement though.

Chris
August 4th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Danny, Red Cone is the 16th. How about doing that instead?

Maybe shoot for Wheeler in Sept 6th?

:thunb:

Ric
August 4th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Wheeler is one of my fav. trails, if ya make it, take lots of pics, I already have plans the 16th or Id join you all.

Chris
August 4th, 2008, 10:52 AM
How about trying for a Wheeler run in August?

Funrover
August 4th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Wish I could go, I will be at a wedding, birthday party, and baptism that weekend!

4Runninfun
August 4th, 2008, 05:38 PM
yeah yeah i know, punk!

Jeepin Chef
August 4th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Im in also, just let me know where we going too meet,as long as the jeeps ok after Holy Cross this Sat..

4Runninfun
August 6th, 2008, 07:32 PM
for the Colorado Springs group we are going to meet at the starbucks off 31st street at 7am and we will meet everyone else at the top of hoosier pass at 9am. i'm planning on an early run that way hopefully we'll beat any storms that blow in.

Funrover
August 6th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Have fun!!

Brody
August 9th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Weather update:

Raining everyday for the last week. Wednesday it rained almost 14 hours straight with temps in the mid to high 30's. Most rains start around noon and camp out all day long. Expect to get rained on and cold weather. The 3 week South Park summer is over. I was surprised not to see snow on the high peaks yesterday AM it was so chilly. Felt like September....

What a s**thole of a place to live....not too fond of working up there either. Gotta really hate the sun and good weather. Almost as bad as living in the Midwest during a winter...

4Runninfun
August 9th, 2008, 06:43 PM
thanks for the update brody! looks like i'll be bringing the winter gear. luckily wheeler can still be done in the rain unlike other high mountain trails. we'll make sure we're up there early so that we're hopefully heading down by noon or at least close.

Jeepin Chef
August 11th, 2008, 08:51 PM
I wouldnt mind going if we are still on

Pathrat
August 11th, 2008, 08:54 PM
if you wanna go your FJ can handle it. Last year we took a stock Disco up no problems. He even had SMALLER than stock tires if you can imagine that!

Thanks for your input. I had heard this trail was difficult, like I Don't Belong There difficult. You have been there, you have seen what my rig looks like so maybe I heard wrong.

I am doing Red Cone...how does that compare to Wheeler?

Warrlord
August 11th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Bummer :( I can't get out of my prior commitment.

You all have a fun & safe time :cheers:

4Runninfun
August 11th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Yeah we are still on, lets see if we can't start to get a head count of who all is going. Pathrat if you want to go your FJ can make it.

SCRubicon
August 12th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Thanks for your input. I had heard this trail was difficult, like I Don't Belong There difficult. You have been there, you have seen what my rig looks like so maybe I heard wrong.

I am doing Red Cone...how does that compare to Wheeler?

Red Cone is a walk in the park. It has the same trail rating as Kingston Peak. The only difference is Red Cone has that steep down hill section. Use 1st gear, low range and you will do fine. Wheeler Lake has some spots that can get a tire in the air, but the trail is only as hard as you want to make it. Don't let "The V" scare you out of going. There are other ways around it. Bowling Ball hill could be a challenge, but I've seen non locked vehicles make it up. You ran Porcupine Rim and Fins N' Things in Moab right? You'll do just fine on Wheeler.

Jeepin Chef
August 12th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Red Cone is a walk in the park. It has the same trail rating as Kingston Peak. The only difference is Red Cone has that steep down hill section. Use 1st gear, low range and you will do fine. Wheeler Lake has some spots that can get a tire in the air, but the trail is only as hard as you want to make it. Don't let "The V" scare you out of going. There are other ways around it. Bowling Ball hill could be a challenge, but I've seen non locked vehicles make it up. You ran Porcupine Rim and Fins N' Things in Moab right? You'll do just fine on Wheeler.
Not to scare anyone but Red Cone has the most problems than any trail.
for that reason HIGH SHELF ROAD i did it last year nice puker factor"""""

Jeepin Chef
August 12th, 2008, 06:08 PM
So Where are we meeting and when,, looks like im going and Jim is going and bringing 1 or 2 more jeeps (stock)

4Runninfun
August 12th, 2008, 06:12 PM
for the Colorado Springs group we are going to meet at the starbucks off 31st street at 7am and we will meet everyone else at the top of hoosier pass at 9am. i'm planning on an early run that way hopefully we'll beat any storms that blow in.

Pathrat
August 12th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Not to scare anyone but Red Cone has the most problems than any trail.
for that reason HIGH SHELF ROAD i did it last year nice puker factor"""""

SCRubicon: yep, done Kingston, Fins, Porcupine and Poison Spider. I drove down that decidedly steep descent in someone else's frankenstein truck with the difficult clutch and managed that. Thanks for the comparison.

I had already signed up for Red Cone. Jeepin Chef: I hate shelf roads! I chickened out on it last time on Red Cone in the previously noted other rig.

Jeepin Chef
August 12th, 2008, 09:16 PM
:eek:
SCRubicon: yep, done Kingston, Fins, Porcupine and Poison Spider. I drove down that decidedly steep descent in someone else's frankenstein truck with the difficult clutch and managed that. Thanks for the comparison.

I had already signed up for Red Cone. Jeepin Chef: I hate shelf roads! I chickened out on it last time on Red Cone in the previously noted other rig.
Well Hope too see on a trail next time, Yah I hate shelf roads too I'll do them if i have to get somewhere but i have that what if feeling ...

4Runninfun
August 14th, 2008, 11:03 AM
lets get a final head count going...
Jon +2
Ryan +1

Jeepin Chef
August 14th, 2008, 09:06 PM
lets get a final head count going...
Jon +2
Ryan +1
Jayson
Jim +2

Funrover
August 14th, 2008, 10:24 PM
You have my truck, so I am there in spirit!

Discodude19
August 15th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Jon call me asap!!!

Chris
August 15th, 2008, 08:42 PM
You guys have fun and take plenty of pics. Bums me that I'm missing what should be 2 great runs tomorrow.

:cheers:

4Runninfun
August 17th, 2008, 12:22 AM
jeepin chef- Very sorry we missed you today. unfortunately due to the weather, and a stop by our local state patrol officer we didn't get out to the trail until we were an hour and a half late. again sorry about that but i didn't want you to think that we flaked out on you guys. Next time we'll make sure to have some contact phone numbers in case something like this arises.

Chris
August 17th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Jeepin Chef, Did you make this run?

4Runninfun, is that a tease about the state patrol and a huge delay? Sounds like we need details :eek:

4Runninfun
August 17th, 2008, 03:11 PM
working on the trip report now :)

Discodude19
August 18th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Pics jon? That was a great day long day but it was great.