PDA

View Full Version : 3/27/21 RAM Offroad Park Shakedowns

TyTheJeepGuy
March 26th, 2021, 02:23 PM
There wasn't much interest in this outing in the planning thread but I'll just post it here in case some members decide to come down and want to get in touch while we're at the park:

Place: RAM Offroad Park ($20 fee for a 4x4 vehicle, sign waiver online to save time at their office)
Time: 10AM (loose since its a park, as long as we're still there you should be able to get us on radio)
Radio channels:
- GMRS: CH 17 - 462.6000 MHz
To start with I'll not use a privacy code, but if there's too much traffic on the channel we'll apply CTCSS 20 - 131.8MHz
- I'll also be listening on Ch 4 on CB for those who don't have GMRS

Planning this to be a take-it-easy shakedown run to test out winter upgrades. I've never been but I expect that the park will have many guests since many of our favorite trails are still closed. The park advertises itself as a "choose your own adventure" type of place so that's exactly what we'll be doing, I think its a great opportunity to see what rigs (and drivers) are capable of without feeling like you'll not be able to make it through a whole difficult trail.

In case you don't have a radio, I'm in a blue 2020 Wrangler Rubicon.

tirefoamcan
March 26th, 2021, 02:58 PM
I'll be there testing out the WK updates!

SEEKER
March 27th, 2021, 05:25 PM
So, how was today? Did you guys liked the upgrades of your vehicles?

tirefoamcan
March 27th, 2021, 05:45 PM
I almost wasn't able to go. The WK wouldn't turn over in the morning. Ended up needing to re-seat the starter solenoid connector. Must have gotten some corrosion.

The WK did good overall.

I do have some rubbing on the driver's side axle on the control arm. Will need to get the lower control arm drop bracket installed before doing anything crazy. Might be able to get away with grinding down the LCA to get some clearance.

Alignment of the rear looks good, no rubbing throughout the travel.

The ride was great on the higher speed areas. I wasn't getting thrown around much. There were a few woops that sent tools and stuff up a bit in the rear. It was nice though.

And my ski racks didn't fall off!

TyTheJeepGuy
March 27th, 2021, 07:08 PM
Had fun today, didn't get home til around 6 because I got dinner and gas after leaving the park.

I didn't pop a coil out and I think I got a great idea of what to expect in terms of new capabilities and ride characteristics with the new lift. I'm super happy with its "best of both worlds" feel, feels like I'm still in control on the road and also feels really soft in the bumpy-road sections of trail. Only "complaint" is that since the kit comes with bump stop extenders to prevent coil bind, it should be the same up travel as stock but with the softer ride it seems to want to hit the bump stops really quick. Not too much of a concern but just a little disappointing, would have liked some more up-travel.

The park itself was cool; it was pretty much 3-4 hills of what I would describe different "hill climb" routes ranging from dirt-only to sheer vertical shelves of rock. It was fun to hang out and watch other rigs tackle different lines, too. When I first got there I was a little lost in terms of what was meant for dirtbike/SxS only or combined with 4x4. I was actually relieved when some other Jeeps showed up and started running some lines. The place never felt too congested and I was there pretty much their whole day. I was surprised by this because with many trails still impassable and the assumption that other 4x4 guys/gals were getting the itch to get back out there I had assumed the place would be a madhouse. Also, as is usually the case I think with 4x4-related stuff, everyone I interacted with was friendly and the dirtbikes and Jeeps sharing "trails" worked out a lot nicer than I'd thought. The dirtbikes all seemed to be good with taking an alternate route to avoid the lumbering 4x4s.