PDA

View Full Version : Ouray

Chris
August 3rd, 2008, 10:24 PM
Hi All! Just got back from 2 days wheeling in Ouray, love that area! Day 1 was Black Bear and Imogene. Day 2 was Mineral Point, Engineer, Cinnamon, and Thompson Town Site.

I would like to spend more time there and it reminds me how much nicer wheeling in Colorado is than Utah. Moab's great but nothing like Colorado wheeling!

I forgot my good camera anf didn't take many pics but here's a few from day 1, day 2 is still in the truck. The biggest difference from last year was the color, everything was green and flowers were everywhere. Yeah, you want dramatic wheeling pics and I'm talking flowers! :lol:

Telly
August 4th, 2008, 08:33 AM
That looked like a fun and relaxing weekend. I need to do one of those trips with the wife and kids soon!. Thanks.

Ric
August 4th, 2008, 10:39 AM
nice :thunb: I still have to hit that area

Funrover
August 4th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Man I really love it down there! Great pics!!

SCRubicon
August 4th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Great pics Chris!!! I really have to get down that way sometime.

Funrover
August 4th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Great pics Chris!!! I really have to get down that way sometime.

WINK WINK KNUDGE KNUDGE Hey Steve I am thinkin...

Pathrat
August 4th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Pretty flowers!!! Love the snow pic too. (and got your pm re: my pics, thanks!)

Chris
August 5th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Pretty flowers!

This could damage my image, maybe I need to re-post my Moab pic launching my truck over "The Wall" :lol:

Pathrat
August 5th, 2008, 08:30 PM
This could damage my image, maybe I need to re-post my Moab pic launching my truck over "The Wall" :lol:

I am a GIRL! What did you expect???

We are going to head out to Lake City Friday and do Engineer Pass. I don't know much about Imogene, but in your opinion, can I do this without much ado?

Funrover
August 5th, 2008, 08:44 PM
I am a GIRL! What did you expect???

We are going to head out to Lake City Friday and do Engineer Pass. I don't know much about Imogene, but in your opinion, can I do this without much ado?

Imogene is Easy, you will be more than fine!!!

Chris
August 5th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Yes, certainly!

Lake City to Ouray on Engineer is the way to go (not vice versa!)

If you have time, Black Bear to Telluride then Imogene back to Ouray is a nice day.

All 3 are easily done by your truck. Black Bear does not live up to its reputation nor does Imogene. I understand people died on both due to stupidity, not difficulty. There was a stock Chevy truck doing both when I was and his only problem was getting high centered a couple times due to low clearance.

The rating seems to be based on history and some steep drop-offs, not obstacles. You're a good driver and careful which is all it takes to do these. Bring a good camera, the views are fantastic!

:cheers:

Pathrat
August 5th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Yes, certainly!

Lake City to Ouray on Engineer is the way to go (not vice versa!)

If you have time, Black Bear to Telluride then Imogene back to Ouray is a nice day.

All 3 are easily done by your truck. Black Bear does not live up to its reputation nor does Imogene. I understand people died on both due to stupidity, not difficulty. There was a stock Chevy truck doing both when I was and his only problem was getting high centered a couple times due to low clearance.

The rating seems to be based on history and some steep drop-offs, not obstacles. You're a good driver and careful which is all it takes to do these. Bring a good camera, the views are fantastic!

:cheers:

Great, thanks for the assessment! And I do plan to bring the good camera, for all those flower pictures I will send you. :D The campsite is about 7 miles west of Lake City. I have not planned out our routes exactly yet. We only have Saturday and half of Sunday, have to be back by Sunday evening.

Pathrat
August 5th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Looking at the map and the location of where we are camping (one of our favorite campsites), I think we are going to do the whole Alpine Loop Saturday. Then, it is west on HWY 149 to Mill Creek/Cebolla Rd, and maybe get to do some off shoots on the atlas, then HWY 50 to home.
I will take many flower pictures with my good camera, and maybe some of the truck too.

Chris
August 5th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Yikes, I haven't unloaded my second day pics yet. I'll have to get to that so we can compare flower pics! ;)

Have fun! :cool:

Pathrat
August 5th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Yikes, I haven't unloaded my second day pics yet. I'll have to get to that so we can compare flower pics! ;)

Have fun! :cool:

Plan to, thanks!
I just couldn't help it:

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x102/pathrat40/trailruns2008/Cleanup1/Cleanup37.jpg

Chris
August 7th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Flowers for Pathrat :D

This one's Engineer Pass.

Chris
August 7th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Last: Thompson Town Site, cool if you like ghost towns.

Funrover
August 7th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Man I really want to go dow there!

Pathrat
August 7th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Last: Thompson Town Site, cool if you like ghost towns.

Went through there last July. Looks like our plans are changing though. Hugh can't get off work early so we are just heading to Leadville instead. :( Oh well, camping and wheeling is still camping and wheeling.