PDA

View Full Version : Miller Rock and Cliffhanger 2.0 - 11 Jun 21

Steve-O
June 12th, 2021, 07:26 AM
Had an awesome time yesterday, such a beautiful day with great company. Jay brought out his father-in-law and my dad was in town, and Shane was able to make it out after all, so we had 7 rigs. You guys are nuts for saying this was a good trail for beginners :lmao: but my dad did awesome and had a blast! The only casualty was a $5 plastic hitch cover on his Gladiator, so not bad. My new TJ had no issues either, as I said out on the trail: "This thing almost makes it *too* easy!" but it's awesome to able to go more places without issue...the YJ would not have made it yesterday.

We met up around the corner from the entrance to the Miller Rock trail. Went "left" (east) at the intersection to go explore. I think any remnants of the old sawmill must be gone because none of us saw anything, but it was a cool drive. Turned around at the end and headed back west up to the top of Miller Rock, we avoided the other spur down to the stream and the big obstacle. Had lunch on top of Miller Rock, then made our way back down. Jumped on Peak to Peak for a few miles and got onto the northern part of Switzerland Trail off of Sawmill Rd and hit Cliffhanger 2.0 before parting our separate ways. Thanks to everybody came out!

RockyMtRebel
June 12th, 2021, 09:51 AM
Heck yea!

TDash
June 12th, 2021, 09:58 AM
Sounds like a good time!

Hey I have asked this before but forgot, what GPS apps are you all using?

Steve-O
June 12th, 2021, 10:23 AM
The one I use is COtrex. It's ok. It has the MVUMs loaded in there, but I wish people actually used some of the other functionality like publishing trails, rating, trail notes, etc. Nobody seems to actually add that stuff

speedkills
June 12th, 2021, 11:56 AM
Agreed on all points with CoTrex. Free and the most accurate thing for Colorado. Plus has offline functionality although you have to spend a little time downloading the offline maps by clicking a bunch of squares to select them.

Tom
June 12th, 2021, 12:24 PM
Sounds like a good time!

Hey I have asked this before but forgot, what GPS apps are you all using?
I use Avenza Maps. Mvum downloads are free, and I have tracks for most trails.

speedkills
June 12th, 2021, 01:32 PM
Here are a few pics I took yesterday. Some are after the group run, I ended up doing Pennsylvania Gulch, finding a new connector over to Gordon Gulch from there, then playing in the mud a little at Gordon Gulch. Managed to climb out of a mud pit I could never get through in my LR4, but also jammed a bunch of dirt into my intercooler and caused a small coolant leak in the process. Might need to relocate that. https://imgur.com/a/4OE1Uus

Max
June 14th, 2021, 10:07 AM
That first spur we went down was narrow between the trees!

I use Avenza (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Avenza)or COTrex on mobile devices, but they have a good website to scout out areas also: https://trails.colorado.gov/map/@40.151902,-105.445268,13.43z

TDash
June 14th, 2021, 11:15 AM
I downloaded COTrex, it's pretty cool and I downloaded most of the maps for offline use, I wish it was compatible with Android Auto though :(

RockyMtRebel
June 14th, 2021, 11:40 AM
I use GaiaGPS. It’s awesome, although I pay the $30/year for premium membership

speedkills
June 14th, 2021, 12:00 PM
I try to get along with GaiaGPS but it just doesn't work for me. I just want all of the trails on there, things like Avenza and Gaia when I have used them in the past have required me to find the maps in some other fashion and import them. Has that changed?

Tom
June 14th, 2021, 12:44 PM
I try to get along with GaiaGPS but it just doesn't work for me. I just want all of the trails on there, things like Avenza and Gaia when I have used them in the past have required me to find the maps in some other fashion and import them. Has that changed?
Avenza you download the maps from their store right from the app. Mvums are free from the store.

FINOCJ
June 14th, 2021, 12:55 PM
Avenza you download the maps from their store right from the app. Mvums are free from the store.

Paper mvums are also free at ranger stations!