PDA

View Full Version : FS: 2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ

derf
June 28th, 2021, 11:37 AM
Price at the bottom if you want to cut to the chase.

Now that I have my new Jeep, I'm going to let my XJ go. Before I put it up on Craigslist/FB Marketplace I want to see if anyone here is interested. I know last year on Kingston peak at least two people said they'd be interested. Trouble is, I don't remember names very well.

It is a 2001 Cherokee Sport 4WD.

I just drove this XJ out to Moab and back. Did a few days of trails, including Hell's Revenge and it did great. Disclaimer: The steering gearbox went out and I had to swap it out while I was driving out there. It has a brand new reman steering box from O'Rielly in it now.

A short clip on Hell's Revenge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Re8zciN6rA

Basics: 4.0 six, AW4 automatic, NP242 transfer case (full time and part time 4 hi). 4.56 gears, TrueTracs front and rear, 265/75R16 GoodYear Duratrac tires (32"). Just over 180,000 miles.

I did a bunch of maintenance and upgrades to it over the last 4 years or so I've owned it.

Biggest is the axle swap. I rebuilt some axles from earlier XJs and swapped them in. The front is a low pinion XJ axle from a 95 or so. No axle disconnect, but far better than the stock high pinion that came with the Jeep. The rear is an XJ Dana 44. And by rebuilt I mean I replaced everything. Every bearing, every seal, ball joints, brakes, everything. They have new 4.56 gears with TrueTracs front and rear. Both have G2 heavy duty aluminum diff covers that come with drain plugs. They're sealed by LubeLocker gaskets. The rear has a Terraflex disc brake upgrade so discs all around. I swapped in a set of new parking brake cables to go with the brakes and it works great. I also replaced 100% of the steering components with Moog parts. The tie rod ends and drag link are 100% new, as is the steering stabilizer.

While I was swapping axles, I took advantage of having access and I pulled the pan to do a rear main seal. So it's not leaking from there any more. I also got the oil filter adapter o-rings and the pressure sending unit so no oil leaks from there any more.

The radiator let go a few years back so I swapped it with a stock replacement. While it was out, I did the water pump. While the pump was out, I did a timing chain. So all that should be good to go for a long time. The temp rarely got above 210 while going up and over the passes as well as while on the really hot trails out in Moab, even with the A/C running full blast (which kept me nice and cool all day in the near 100 degrees of Moab).

After the lift, I installed a Tom Woods SYE kit. While I was in there, I did a 100% rebuild of the transfer case with all new seals, bearings, and small parts. I also drained and refilled the transmission, while adding a new filter. It appeared to be well cared for when I dropped the pan.

List of upgrades:

Pro-Comp 3.5" lift springs front and rear. Rear has a degree shim to get the pinion angle right.
Rancho Shocks (RSX if I remember right)
JKS adjustable control arms (all 4) front
JKS Quicker Disconnects on the swaybar.
Tom Woods SYE in the case
Tom Woods driveshafts front and rear. (<1,000 miles on them)
Bushwacker flat fender flares
A ton of parts from JCR:

Crusader Front Bumper (no winch mount) with LED lights
Front Unibody Tie-in Kit with Steering Spacer
Vanguard Rear Bumper with LED lights, 7 pin trailer plug, Tire Carrier, Hi-Lift mount, and Dual Rotopax Mount, license plate relocation bracket
Gas Tank Skid Plate with nut strips both sides
Transfer Case Skid Plate
Classic Rock Sliders
Lower quarter panel armor (that need to be modified to fit with the flares)
Center Console Bracket
CB antenna mount driver side rear

Alpine CD/MP3/Bluetooth/XM receiver, small amp, and upgraded speakers. The XM antenna is there and works. It's ready to install a small sub.
Cobra 75 WX/ST CB radio with Firestik antenna.
I had a ham radio with an NMO antenna mount in the roof.

The roof has a hole that is sealed by the NMO mount so I'll leave that in there.
I can throw in the 1/4 wave ham antenna if you want it. (it clears my 7 foot tall garage well enough)
I have an NMO to 3/8" CB antenna adapter I can throw in if you want to move the CB antenna to the roof.

The good:
The Jeep starts and runs 100% every time. It's a reliable driver, both in town and on the highway. No overheating at all. With the full time 4wd and TrueTracs, it behaves very well on the road in all weather conditions. It's a beast in the snow. I took it out every time it snowed this last year and just couldn't get stuck. The A/C blows cold. So many of the upgrades have addressed pretty much every major wear item outside of the engine and transmission. I have successfully stopped all of the leaks for now. It doesn't mark its territory. Lots of little nuisance things have been fixed.

The bad:
The Jeep has dings and the paint is not the best everywhere. The hood is the worst. I do have a color matched spray can you can use to touch up anything you need. There are some squeaks and rattles. It's a 20 year old Jeep so it's not perfect. The engine and trans are original to the truck with 180K miles on them. While I have done all of the necessary service to the Jeep, they are original and probably could use a more thorough refresh. Even with the 4.56 gears, the old engine could only keep it up to 60 MPH on the steep passes. It's reliable but tired. It also has the 0331 head still. Good news is that I have a TUPY head ready to go in if you want it.

Extras:
A while back I picked up a used 4.0 from a 2000 Cherokee, intending to rebuild it into a stroker. I got as far as tearing it down before deciding to change direction and focus on other projects. This engine looks to be in good shape. I have a new cam and lifters for it, as well as the 0331/TUPY head (along with the stock non-TUPY head) that I can throw in for a little more. You could easily continue my plan and rebuild this engine to swap in.

My plan was to list it for $12,000 on the general market, just to see if I could get that. My bottom line price is well below that. I'll start here at $10,000 OBO just to kick things off. Clear title in hand. I will negotiate to a point. Cash preferred. A (certified) check can work if people here know you. I will post more pictures later.

Jeep is located in Castle Rock. Not far from the Founders Parkway exit off I25. Easy to get to. I work days M-Th. I can show the Jeep evenings and weekends.

I will keep this post updated with the status of the Jeep. If I haven't posted that I've sold it, it's still available.

derf
July 26th, 2021, 09:38 PM
Sold