PDA

View Full Version : Recommended FRS & GMRS radios

TjMike
July 21st, 2021, 01:56 PM
Not to hijack the tread but been looking at getting a decent radio. Anyone have a link or model number that has worked well for them?

===========
Admin edit:

The first few posts in this new thread originated in the "FR4x4-default-radio-channels-what-shall-we-use (https://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?28674-FR4x4-default-radio-channels-what-shall-we-use)" thread.

I created this thread for both FRS and GMRS radios as they often crossover. If a recommended HAM radio thread is desired, it can be started (or if reasonable, they may be mixed in this thread)

Tom
July 21st, 2021, 01:58 PM
Not to hijack the tread but been looking at getting a decent radio. Anyone have a link or model number that has worked well for them?
FRS, GMRS, CB, Ham?
Mobile, Handy Talkie?

FINOCJ
July 21st, 2021, 04:59 PM
I second Mike's question...I would be considering a handheld unit (5W GRMS?)....I like the idea of the more powerful dash mounted unit, but then it wouldn't be transferable to my truck when I use that.

TDash
July 21st, 2021, 05:18 PM
someone from here recommended these to me, they were cheap and work well

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SLHM0PC?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Jim
July 21st, 2021, 05:23 PM
I'd be in the market too. Leaning towards GMRS. Leaning towards mounted in the jeep (vs battery powered, hand-held).

If folks have not seen this guy's "5 Things to Know About GMRS Radio", it was posted in a thread here:

www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?28731-5-Things-to-Know-About-GMRS-Radio (https://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?28731-5-Things-to-Know-About-GMRS-Radio)

TDash
July 21st, 2021, 05:28 PM
Leaning towards mounted in the jeep (vs battery powered, hand-held).

I will be getting this after I emotionally and financially recover from my SAS project. I was targeting this at some point and then when I confirmed this is what Shane has in his rig it made the choice easy for me

EDIT: I linked to the wrong Midland unit from the amazon search meant to post this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FN2FBML/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_CM3E426HTWAZEPCRTRNV?t h=1

I already tossed out my CB and took out the antenna wire I had run for it

Trevor?
July 21st, 2021, 06:26 PM
For "Mobile" radios, which is the jargon for dashboard mounted radios like your typical CB, as opposed to handhelds... On paper those midland micromoble radios seem to be the way to go. I only say "on paper" because I have not had a chance to play with one personally, but its a decent company, a good price, and there are tons of positive reviews out there.

Other than that you have a few chinese radios imported by small US companies. These are your Rugged Radios GMRS units, and there is one by BTech. I'm sure there are more. buytwowayradios.com sells a $370 GMRS chinese unit made by Wouxun (sounds like Ocean when pronounced). Having their Wouxun GMRS handheld and comparing that to a Btech/baofung handheld, I think the Wouxun products are much better... but I don't think many people here need the feature set that offers. Midland radios probably make the most sense for the typical use in this group. Hopefully when some users of those units chime in here we'll see if their experience supports this.

The only other legit category out there that I am aware of is that there are some old public safety radios that were part 95 certified (the FCC certification for GMRS radios) in addition to part 90 certified (the FCC cert for business band radios). They can be bought on Ebay pretty cheap and reprogrammed for GMRS use and should be perfectly legal. This can be a bit of a project however, often involving tracking down or making programing cables and the software is pretty old... DOS old. At the end of the day these are probably some of the most durable units out there being made by companies like Motorola, Kenwood, or Icom for police, fire, taxi services, etc.

Antenna mounting on soft-top jeeps is always a troubling compromise. I have accumulated a small pile of VHF, UHF, and one dual band antenna in tinkering with my Ham radio setup. I would like to try and summarize this more clearly at some point. I had some problems getting a 1/4 wave UHF antenna to tune properly on the edge of the cowl on my TJ. I could get VHF 1/4 wave whips to work but I suspect my bracket was not well suited for UHF frequencies.

I think the little magnet mount antennas that Midland ships with their radios are probably good enough for their 5 and 15 watt units. I would be hesitant to run 50 watts through one however. On a TJ or similar jeep one would have to place that farther inboard on the cowl or hood to get the magnet to stick and that kind of location would have probably solved my UHF 1/4 wave antenna issue.

I concluded that a 1/2 wave end-fed antenna worked the best for me. Actually I am running two, one for VHF on the cowl and one for UHF on roll cage, along with a duplexer (like a speaker crossover, but it works at radio frequencies). 1/2 wave antennas are less sensitive to having a really good ground plane under the antenna and at UHF Ham and GMRS frequencies they are still pretty small. If I can get away with it up on my roll bar, on a bracket hose-clamped to the fabric roll bar cover, then I would expect it to work on the top of a spare tire carrier.

Jim
July 21st, 2021, 06:41 PM
This review page keeps coming up in my searching. One item I give focus - is their CONS listing for each device:
https://www.hamtronics.com/best-gmrs-radios/

For a GMRS mobile radio antenna, I'm thinking of a metal mount above the spare tire (typical - center rear of the jeep spare tire). Is some horizontal ferrous plate needed for ground plane / what considerations are needed for antenna mounting (non-magnetic)? Would I wish to mount it high - at or slightly above roof-top to get above the metal rollcage / would a lower mounting (hood) result in signal being blocked / reduced by the roll cage?

TDash
July 21st, 2021, 06:44 PM
Rugged Radios

I read from one of the guys who was picked for Ultimate Adventure one year, that he got a free Rugged Radio and that it was beastly

TDash
July 21st, 2021, 06:46 PM
one thing Shane pointed out to me was he loved about his is that he had all the controls on the actual handheld, which was something my CB lacked and was quite annoying

Tom
July 21st, 2021, 06:54 PM
I have a Retevis RT86. Got it free. Its a UHF radio with 16 frequency storage locations. Its built like a tank but you have to program it with their software on a computer. It has a really good audio output circuit. Really loud and clear. Makes my cobras look and sound like toys. 1 watt low power 10 watt high power.

Technically not legal for frs or gmrs but I figure the fcc will never find me while wheeling.

I noticed on Jim’s link that one handheld supposedly had 50watts output power. That would scare the bejesus out of me. That much power near your head could fry your brain.

Jim
July 21st, 2021, 06:55 PM
It has a really good audio output circuit. Really loud and clear.

This is a large issue for me. At trail speed I can hear the CB (volume is always at max) but I have difficulty hearing the handheld - even when holding near my ear. For most any unit, I'd be looking to see if has an option for an external speaker (that could be mounted on the roll cage near my head / ear).

all the controls on the actual handheld

Midland MXT275
https://www.amazon.com/Midland-MicroMobile-Two-Way-Integrated-Microphone/dp/B07FN2FBML/

speedkills
July 21st, 2021, 07:05 PM
Ty and I both have the MXT275. Works great. I will mount mine eventually but currently it just sets in my passenger seat when I use it and plugs into my cigarette lighter plug. The cable is so thin to the antenna I close my car door on it and throw the mag antenna up. Works great.

TjMike
July 21st, 2021, 07:16 PM
Thanks for moving this to a new thread. I think this will be really helpful to other people new to this. 20 years ago I used a typical under dash CB that worked fine for back then but cross chatter was always an issue. Im not really interested in getting another CB if I can avoid it but just looking for a good hand held. I read the other thread with tons of good info and learned a lot. I dont know HAMs and honestly not really interested in learning at this time... no free time...

This is a large issue for me. At trail speed I can hear the CB (volume is always at max) but I have difficulty hearing the handheld - even when holding near my ear. For most any unit, I'd be looking to see if has an option for an external speaker (that could be mounted on the roll cage near my head / ear).

Midland MXT275
https://www.amazon.com/Midland-Micro...dp/B07FN2FBML/

I might be interested in something like that and you make a good point about the clarity and 'loudness' of the unit. Im already hard of hearing so this will be an issue. Just ask the wife :rolleyes:
Bottom line is I will purchase something good that works with the group, whatever that is. :GroupHug:

Tom
July 21st, 2021, 07:22 PM

I think it does. It has the same connection that Baofeng, and Kenwood use for external mic/speaker.
I think this one would work with it. I have one, loaned permenantly to my son, that I used on my baofeng. Its a speaker mic with an external speaker port. I plugged a bluetooth device to it and to my rollbar speaker and it worked pretty well.

FINOCJ
July 21st, 2021, 07:23 PM
A lot of the GRMS radios are sold in pairs or more...I only need one...someone want to go in together and split the set? i am interested in handheld 5W GRMS....

Tom
July 21st, 2021, 07:29 PM
A lot of the GRMS radios are sold in pairs or more...I only need one...someone want to go in together and split the set? i am interested in handheld 5W GRMS....

I have an old set of cobras. You are welcome to one if you want it James.

speedkills
July 21st, 2021, 07:37 PM
I understand James likes to travel super light in his rig, but for those of you with a little more space keeping a spare handheld around has proven quite useful for me. I end up handing out one or two nearly every time I go out. I also go out a fair bit that I don't go with this group or post up, just feel the need to get out and hit the trails. The last couple of times I did that I ended up just falling in with someone and handed them one of my Midland handheld units.

FINOCJ
July 21st, 2021, 07:44 PM
I have an old set of cobras. You are welcome to one if you want it James.

Sounds promising - how does it charge, or is it typical alkaline battery operated?

Tom
July 21st, 2021, 07:55 PM
Sounds promising - how does it charge, or is it typical alkaline battery operated?
They have rechargeable batteries, but the charging jack broke years ago. One must remove them and throw them in a charger. They have 4 aaa batteries. I will bring it to the cleanup run and you can try it out.

Manual can be read here. I have a hard copy
https://www.manualslib.com/products/Cobra-Microtalk-Pr-955-Dx-1786936.html

FINOCJ
July 21st, 2021, 08:08 PM
They have 3 aaa batteries. I will bring it to the cleanup run and you can try it out.
Sounds good...see you then...

Trevor?
July 21st, 2021, 08:51 PM
For a GMRS mobile radio antenna, I'm thinking of a metal mount above the spare tire (typical - center rear of the jeep spare tire). Is some horizontal ferrous plate needed for ground plane / what considerations are needed for antenna mounting (non-magnetic)? Would I wish to mount it high - at or slightly above roof-top to get above the metal rollcage / would a lower mounting (hood) result in signal being blocked / reduced by the roll cage?

Higher mounts are generally better. Trying really hard to be concise here, but 1/4 wave whips will perform better with a horizontal conductive plane ( a groundplane or sometimes refered to as a counterpoise) roughly 1/2 wavelength in diameter or so. It does not have to be ferrous, just conductive. For the location you are talking about I would suggest looking into no-groundplane antennas. Sometimes called No-Ground or NGP antennas, they tend to be 1/2 wavelength or 5/8ths wavelength antennas that perform well with very little or no flat metal expanses underneath them. They tend to be a little longer, but they are still pretty short at GMRS wavelengths.

Java
July 21st, 2021, 09:33 PM
I am at the bottom end of the FRS spectrum, I have the cheapest handhelds in a phone holder on a GoPro mount. They're actually made for kids, so they can get wet, dropped, whatever. Works great for the amount I use it, which is usually a few group runs a year.

TDash
July 21st, 2021, 09:42 PM
Midland MXT275

oops that's the model i meant to post the same price in my amazon search threw me off

TjMike
July 21st, 2021, 09:46 PM
This review page keeps coming up in my searching. One item I give focus - is their CONS listing for each device:
https://www.hamtronics.com/best-gmrs-radios/

Thanks for the article Jim. I actually really like the Midland radios on there. Another reason why I'm leaning towards just handhelds instead of a mount is using them while skiing/hiking and these seem like good quality while not that expensive.

open_circuit
July 21st, 2021, 10:06 PM
The radios I use are supposedly waterproof and float. Not a feature I specifically looked for, but nice to know when I take the kids kayaking.

derf
July 21st, 2021, 10:09 PM
I ended up installing this GMRS radio in my Jeep. I'll be giving it a thorough test this weekend.

https://www.amazon.com/Midland-MicroMobile-Two-Way-Integrated-Microphone/dp/B08SYCFQ6G/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=gmrs+radio&qid=1626926897&sprefix=gmrs&sr=8-8

I also have this pair of handhelds.

https://www.amazon.com/GXT1000VP4-Channel-GMRS-Two-Way-Radio/dp/B001WMFYH4/ref=sxin_20_ac_m_mf_pm?ac_md=3-0-VW5kZXIgJDc1-ac_m_mf_pm_pm&cv_ct_cx=gmrs+radio&dchild=1&keywords=gmrs+radio&pd_rd_i=B001WMFYH4&pd_rd_r=17b4a76f-69aa-41fc-82f1-9a1ec7273c5a&pd_rd_w=4QT3h&pd_rd_wg=vkz3G&pf_rd_p=3b3d601b-c14b-4d42-ac1c-3e2581e737f0&pf_rd_r=SZWFDBCJBEFWTQVQXBGG&psc=1&qid=1626927048&sprefix=gmrs&sr=1-1-fa9e5d72-88c4-4605-b8db-0001847aafdb

FINOCJ
July 21st, 2021, 10:50 PM
I understand James likes to travel super light in his rig,
I've also got 3 shifters, 3 pedals, hand throttle and no power steering or power brakes....radios just distract me and use up a very valuable hand that probably should be doing something more important.

I also go out a fair bit that I don't go with this group or post up, just feel the need to get out and hit the trails.
I am kind of the opposite, when i hit the trails solo, I have no interest in a radio - there is no one else to talk to...I only feel some obligation to have one when doing group runs as it seems while we don't require them, its becoming more of an expectation and maybe advantageous, especially when the group size gets big and for things like the clean-up runs. Its all good...we each set our rigs up how we like.

Tom
July 22nd, 2021, 10:24 AM
I think it does. It has the same connection that Baofeng, and Kenwood use for external mic/speaker.
I think this one would work with it. I have one, loaned permenantly to my son, that I used on my baofeng. Its a speaker mic with an external speaker port. I plugged a bluetooth device to it and to my rollbar speaker and it worked pretty well.
Just tried it out with my retevis and it works good.

TyTheJeepGuy
July 23rd, 2021, 10:40 AM
radios just distract me and use up a very valuable hand

Don't worry James we'll get you set up with a rad earpiece hands-free GMRS setup.

I'm joking here but in the winter I plan on trying to make one for when I go snowmobiling, its annoying when a club member is trying to reach you and you have to stop and kill the engine and try to find how to key the mic with gloves. I might try to install a switch on the handle bars that I can remote key with. For your CJ we'll put it on one of the shifters ;)

TjMike
July 23rd, 2021, 12:13 PM
I also have this pair of handhelds.

https://www.amazon.com/GXT1000VP4-Ch...b-0001847aafdb
How do you like them? I was looking at them as well.

derf
July 23rd, 2021, 10:10 PM
How do you like them? I was looking at them as well.

Haven't gotten much use out of them but they will be my GMRS on the trip tomorrow since the other radio let out the magic smoke while I was trying to tune it.

Trevor?
July 24th, 2021, 08:42 AM
since the other radio let out the magic smoke while I was trying to tune it.

Bummer. I was going to ask you how you planned to mount that antenna. Did the cable get pinched?

derf
July 24th, 2021, 08:56 AM
Bummer. I was going to ask you how you planned to mount that antenna. Did the cable get pinched?

I'll debug it after the Red Cone trip today and report back.

Tom
November 25th, 2021, 08:32 AM
Retevis is having a sale right now on GMRS radios.
https://www.retevis.com/rb27-30-channel-gmrs-long-range-two-way-radios-with-noaa?utm_source=edm&utm_medium=Cherry&utm_campaign=RB27&utm_id=20211125#A9216AX1-C9034AX1

https://www.retevis.com/retevis-rt76p-gmrs-radio-portable-walkie-talkies/?utm_source=edm&utm_medium=Cherry&utm_campaign=RT76P&utm_id=20211125#A9180BX1-C9034AX1

https://www.retevis.com/rb75-waterproof-long-standby-gmrs-two-way-radios?utm_source=edm&utm_medium=Cherry&utm_campaign=RB75&utm_id=20211125#A9214AX1

https://www.retevis.com/rb17p-powerful-handheld-gmrs-radio-rechargeable-two-way-radios?utm_source=edm&utm_medium=Cherry&utm_campaign=RB17P&utm_id=20211125

Spieg
November 25th, 2021, 11:10 AM
FYI - Midland is offering 15% off for Black Friday (Code BF15)

Jim
November 25th, 2021, 12:34 PM
https://midlandusa.com/collections/offroad

A question - For a mounted radio, what do folks think of the handset control / display style vs. conventional handset / radio face control / display?

I have never used an "all inclusive" handset controls style radio and I'm thinking of going in that direction.

Handset control & display: MXT275VP4 MicroMobile (https://midlandusa.com/collections/offroad/products/mxt275vp4-micromobile-two-way-radio-bundle-1)

Conventional: MXT400VP3 MicroMobile (https://midlandusa.com/collections/offroad/products/mxt400vp3-bundle)

Spieg
November 25th, 2021, 01:31 PM
I used a Cobra CB that was mostly all in the handset (everything except for the power supply). Never had any issue with it. It's handy to have everything right there although I rarely made adjustments except when turning it on initially.

Tom
November 25th, 2021, 07:58 PM
I used a Cobra CB that was mostly all in the handset (everything except for the power supply). Never had any issue with it. It's handy to have everything right there although I rarely made adjustments except when turning it on initially.
I like my cobra cb as well. I do occasionally accidentally switch channels, but that is a personal issue. One just needs to remember to lock it. One thing I like is the ease of seeing channels and other controls.

Trevor?
November 27th, 2021, 07:44 AM
A question - For a mounted radio, what do folks think of the handset control / display style vs. conventional handset / radio face control / display?

I've used the Cobra 75WXST as well with everything in the handset. Mounting it in the confined space of the jeep was easy... more options to tuck the "body" out of sight and hang the handset in easy reach and sight. I also tried using a midland 1001z CB and it was hard to find a spot in the TJ where I wanted to put it. It was either out of reach, up on the dash, or in the way. The midland had a better receiver in it. I think there can be some compromises in cramming everything into a little handset but for offroad use I doubt that difference is really important. My Icom HAM radio has a remote face, and that is useful for mounting, but it took a lot of time and a few custom brackets to mount it the way I wanted it.

So I think the all-in-handset radios are great if you have limited space, or you want to spend less time installing it for whatever reason. I think those two Midland GMRS radios are very similar in listed features and performance... but the bodies are already smaller than most CB radios so that may open up some options.

Spieg
November 27th, 2021, 08:02 AM
One other thing to consider between those 2 radios you linked Jim is the difference in power. 15watt vs 40watt. People I've talked with recommend the more powerful version for use in the mountains. Better suited to reach out from a canyon.

Trevor?
November 27th, 2021, 12:04 PM
If range is a deciding factor it would be best to avoid one of those stubby antennas sold in the midland kits. A good antenna mounted as high as you can get it would be a better bang for the buck there. The advertised power wont make a radio receive any better, but that 40 watt midland radio being the "flagship" model might have a better receiver in it compared to the smaller units.

Now those stubby antennas seem useful if you have clearance concerns, and probably work just fine on the trail if you're communicating with folks using handhelds. But at these frequencies antennas are already small... it seems like what you're giving up when using a loaded stubby is more than its worth.

Just my opinion, but an end fed half wave is a good compromise for me. It's not as sensitive to ground planes and mounting as a 1/4 wave so its good for the Jeep. No phasing coil on the whip like some of the colinear antennas so less of a concern getting caught or damaged hitting branches. It's pretty short at 13 inches or so. It's still a little challenging to get it up high with a soft top in the way, but it works well attached to the roll cage.

Tom
November 27th, 2021, 12:33 PM
If range is a deciding factor it would be best to avoid one of those stubby antennas sold in the midland kits. A good antenna mounted as high as you can get it would be a better bang for the buck there. The advertised power wont make a radio receive any better, but that 40 watt midland radio being the "flagship" model might have a better receiver in it compared to the smaller units.

Now those stubby antennas seem useful if you have clearance concerns, and probably work just fine on the trail if you're communicating with folks using handhelds. But at these frequencies antennas are already small... it seems like what you're giving up when using a loaded stubby is more than its worth.

Just my opinion, but an end fed half wave is a good compromise for me. It's not as sensitive to ground planes and mounting as a 1/4 wave so its good for the Jeep. No phasing coil on the whip like some of the colinear antennas so less of a concern getting caught or damaged hitting branches. It's pretty short at 13 inches or so. It's still a little challenging to get it up high with a soft top in the way, but it works well attached to the roll cage.
Do you have a link to your antenna? Agree with everything you said Trevor.

Jim
November 27th, 2021, 01:04 PM
I'm not learned in this arena (1/4 wave, phasing coil???) but I clicked buy yesterday with Brian's BF15 discount code. I hope this will perform as desired.

If anyone has comment or concern (incorrect / poor antenna or cable, etc), I'd love to hear it while a return is an option.

A bit pricey so I'm hoping it's a "buy it right, buy it once" event.

MXT400 radio
https://midlandusa.com/collections/offroad/products/mxt400-micromobile-2-way-radio

MXTA26 6db gain 32" antenna
https://midlandusa.com/collections/micromobile-accessories/products/micromobile-mxta26-6db-gain-whip-antenna

MXTA24 antenna cable
https://midlandusa.com/collections/micromobile-accessories/products/micromobile-mxta24-low-profile-antenna-cable

MXTA23 antenna mount (I'm looking to mount on the tire carrier - any concerns with that???) (ground plane???)
https://midlandusa.com/collections/micromobile-accessories/products/micromobilemxta23-roll-bar-mirror-mounting-bracket

21-404C external speaker
https://midlandusa.com/collections/micromobile-accessories/products/21-404c

Tom
November 27th, 2021, 02:39 PM
I'm not learned in this arena (1/4 wave, phasing coil???) but I clicked buy yesterday with Brian's BF15 discount code. I hope this will perform as desired.

If anyone has comment or concern (incorrect / poor antenna or cable, etc), I'd love to hear it while a return is an option.

A bit pricey so I'm hoping it's a "buy it right, buy it once" event.

MXT400 radio
https://midlandusa.com/collections/offroad/products/mxt400-micromobile-2-way-radio

https://midlandusa.com/collections/micromobile-accessories/products/micromobile-mxta26-6db-gain-whip-antenna

MXTA24 antenna cable
https://midlandusa.com/collections/micromobile-accessories/products/micromobile-mxta24-low-profile-antenna-cable

MXTA23 antenna mount (I'm looking to mount on the tire carrier - any concerns with that???) (ground plane???)
https://midlandusa.com/collections/micromobile-accessories/products/micromobilemxta23-roll-bar-mirror-mounting-bracket

21-404C external speaker
https://midlandusa.com/collections/micromobile-accessories/products/21-404c
As long as you’ve verified the antenna cable fittings match all the connectors elsewhere then looks good to me. To deal with any ground plane issues on my rig I ran a fairly heavy wire from the mount in through the tail gate and connected it to a cleaned body mount bolt.

Not quite as ideal as a plane at the base of the antenna but very acceptable.

Spieg
November 27th, 2021, 02:44 PM
Pretty much the same thing I ordered Jim, minus the external speaker and antenna mount.

Trevor?
November 27th, 2021, 07:12 PM
Do you have a link to your antenna?

I'm using this Laird: https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=191_192_196_215&products_id=3235

Its cut to tune. I'm cut for 70cm, but it claims it should work up to 470Mhz so it should work on GMRS. I can hear GMRS just fine even though I am a little long for that frequency.

If I had to do it again I would buy the model without the spring. https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=191_192_196_215&products_id=3231
The spring is a little stiff for an antenna that's so short. I have the VHF model as well for 2m and the spring works well for that element length, but I'm not sure its worth it for the UHF size.

There are a pair of PCTEL maxrad antennas that appear to be almost exactly the same.

Given the size of our vehicles the run lengths are so short that any decent RG-58 or larger cable is sufficient. I probably wouldn't run the really small stuff like RG-174. The thing to look out for is avoiding any sharp bends in the cable when you install it. Try to give it a bend radius of at least an inch to 2 inches and a bit more if you end up using a larger diameter cable. If you have pre-terminated cable (connectors already installed) and you have some extra length try to make a round coil 5-6 inches in diameter and hide it out of the way. Gentle bends are key with coax, otherwise the center conductor can start to work its way towards the shield over time and that will increase losses in the cable.

Trevor?
November 27th, 2021, 07:46 PM

It's hard to tell what the element lengths are in fractional wavelengths from the information they provide, but it is pretty clear that is a colinear antenna. They achieve greater gain by effectively stacking multiple antennas on top of one another in a line, so they work in tandem to put out more energy toward the horizon than a regular 1/4 wave whip would. The little spiral along is length is a phasing coil, it slows down the electrical signal by 180 degrees so the top and bottom sections are resonating in phase, and thus working constructively in the directions you want it to work.

High gain antennas work by focusing RF in particular directions. There is a finite amount of energy the radio can generate, but if you focus it in a particular direction it is as if you are using more power in that direction, and less power in other directions, compared to a simpler antenna. These kinds like the midland you cite radiate in all compass directions, but they focus more energy low towards the horizon. If you are trying to communicate with someone who is at a much higher or lower elevation then you or a repeater up on a mountain top they can actually work against you somewhat. They are fantastic on relatively flat terrain.

Again though it's one of those things that will likely work just fine under 90% of the situations you will likely find yourself in. In this case you could probably save $25-$30 and get a shorter end-fed half wave and get similar results in the mountains. That little coil can catch horizontal sticks and get yanked off the mount. There are models out there that have a closed coil, but I do not believe they are as structurally sound as the open coil type if the element strikes a branch at a higher speed. Another trade-off is that the midland model you reference will likely work well out of the box, but the Laird half wave will require some cutting/tuning which can require some specialized measurement tools.

Trevor?
February 3rd, 2022, 12:19 PM
Looks like Midland came out with a new GMRS mobile. 50 watts, split-tone capable, can select narrow or wide bandwidth and IP66 rated.

https://midlandusa.com/collections/micromobile/products/mxt500-micromobile%C2%AEtwo-way-radio
https://www.buytwowayradios.com/blog/2022/01/the-new-midland-mxt500-is-here.html

Jim
February 3rd, 2022, 01:40 PM
So, how likely would I/we have need for the new features? They sound desirable (should I be solo in a remote area looking to use a repeater) but should I consider selling my still in the box 400 and get the 500?

Spieg
February 3rd, 2022, 05:07 PM
They had a 50 watt model out a couple of years ago and had to pull it off the market because it had problems. Not sure if the extra 10 watts makes that much difference...

Trevor?
February 3rd, 2022, 06:02 PM
Based on a lot of the responses on this forum I would expect that the split-tones and bandwidth features may not be that valuable to most of the folks here. I think most folks here are looking for a easy to use and reliable trail radio. Split-tones and selectable bandwidth would be useful if you want to use the repeater systems around Denver.

I do think the IP66 rating could be important to anyone who values reliability. It may also make some mounting options more appealing for people who run without a top. Hopefully Midland seals up the other models in the lineup in the future.

If it were me I wouldn't switch from the 400 to the 500 over a 10W gain in power. Power doesn't help you receive any better, so unless you're talking to other high-power users at long range then I don't see that coming in handy all that often. Maybe I would switch on account of the IP66 raiting if I was going to mount it in a spot where it could get a little rain on it... but then it would depend what it would ultimately cost me to switch. I do wish my ICOM had an IP raiting.

It's just my opinion but I still think you have a nice radio, Jim. It can be kind of a bummer though whenever you buy something and the new model comes out before you get a chance to use the one you got.

Jim
February 3rd, 2022, 07:00 PM
It's just my opinion but I still think you have a nice radio, Jim. It can be kind of a bummer though whenever you buy something and the new model comes out before you get a chance to use the one you got.

You too (I think you purchased the 400??). I don't get too tied up in buyer's remorse (I don't often buy stuff and often it's used anyway) but this time it does make me ponder the switch. For day-trail use, I'm content. For heading out solo which I hope to do more of, the extra features make me think (though all of this is out the window once Starlink is running for mobile users).